Author Topic: Valve adjustment.  (Read 11874 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Valve adjustment.
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 03:20:34 PM »
I did mine over winter. It just takes patients. It isn't difficult just make sure you know where your parts go so you can put it back together.
Mental patients?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 05:30:14 PM »
Sometime I wonder. (patience)

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 07:01:45 PM »
I think I am going to trade it in at 30,000 miles instead of doing a Valve job.  That's like getting an extra $1000 for trade in.   8)
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline scootertrash

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 10:10:38 AM »
Good one. Let me know how that plays out. Can you explain why corvettes with 500 horsepower never need a valve adjust, but Japan thinks there plan is better. My Camry has an overhead cam, as did my svt cobra mustang, and strangely, no valve checks. Riddle me this.

Offline texrider

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 12:39:52 PM »
Hydraulic followers.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline scootertrash

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »
Ok, maybe I should rephrase the?.  I am aware of hydraulic lifters and how they function. My ? Is why can't the bike builders use them, especially on bikes not designed to race, and where valve cover access is such a problem. Is it ok with everyone that the Golding, who's valve covers are right there, have hydralic lifters, and the concourse who's valve cover might as well be on the moon, needs manual adjustment.  Is it really even conceivable that one of the most ancient designs of, and I dare use the term motorcycle(it has 2 wheels), the h.d, has readily accessible valve covers, yet does not need valve adjustments.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 05:14:08 PM »
It may seem like a plot just to annoy you but it is really physics that is in the way. There are two basic problems with self- adjusting lifters on the C-14:

1) Engine speed. A C-14 engine will turn 10K RPM and hydraulic lifters float (pump up and hang the valve open) at those speeds.

2) Room: the C-14 is a shim under bucket design and there just isn't room for the hydraulics between the top of the valve and the bottom of the shim bucket. Of course Kawasaki could make the engine taller to accommodate the hydraulics but the bike is already tall with many finding it to be too tall- raising it won't win a lot of new business. And there is still problem #1.

Brian

Ok, maybe I should rephrase the?.  I am aware of hydraulic lifters and how they function. My ? Is why can't the bike builders use them, especially on bikes not designed to race, and where valve cover access is such a problem. Is it ok with everyone that the Golding, who's valve covers are right there, have hydralic lifters, and the concourse who's valve cover might as well be on the moon, needs manual adjustment.  Is it really even conceivable that one of the most ancient designs of, and I dare use the term motorcycle(it has 2 wheels), the h.d, has readily accessible valve covers, yet does not need valve adjustments.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Just Krusen

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 06:06:48 PM »

The Goldwing has not used hydraulic lifters since 2000 in the 1500.  All GL1800s since 2001 require valve adjustments every 32,000 miles.  The reasons given by Honda were higher rpm's and making the engine smaller.
Ed Kruse
Naples FL
'02 GL1800 ABS
'11 Concours 14

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 06:20:25 PM »
The Goldwing has not used hydraulic lifters since 2000 in the 1500.  All GL1800s since 2001 require valve adjustments every 32,000 miles.  The reasons given by Honda were higher rpm's and making the engine smaller.

Yeah, that 6000 rpm redline on the GW is really pushing the envelope  :nuts:
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline scootertrash

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 06:35:28 PM »
Ok, you have me there, I am familiar with the 1500 goldwing, and missed the change.  but that really didnt answer the question. So hydralic tapets are too big and restrict rpm too much for use in motorcycles. Since the wing and H.d's are the only bikes i can think of with um, except for the 80's honda knitehawk's, I guess that's that.
Is this why no builder in europe like ferrari, Lamborghini uses hydro tapet's in there hi revving engines?
I guess I will consider myself lucky that I didn't buy the multistrada and have to deal with the complexity of the desmodromic tar baby, yes?
To avoid offending anyone, I should point out that if money were no object, I would own both a harley ultra couch glide, and a Ducati multistada in a heartbeat. just sayin.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »
Look up three posts from here at reply #26- there is an answer to your question.

Brian

Ok, you have me there, I am familiar with the 1500 goldwing, and missed the change.  but that really didnt answer the question. So hydralic tapets are too big and restrict rpm too much for use in motorcycles. Since the wing and H.d's are the only bikes i can think of with um, except for the 80's honda knitehawk's, I guess that's that.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline scootertrash

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
Yes, I quoted (without Quotation marks) your reply in my reply to your reply. Sorry, put you gotta laugh at that.
You are, of course correct about the reason's. I still think it's a plot by the manufactures to increase earning's in the service department. To make up for mistakes by tech's, like the one in kalispell, montana(kawi dealer) who broke the 200$ tps sensor changing my back tire. This after I offered to buy everybody lunch if they got me out of there quick. they didnt.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
My prius doesn't use hydraulic lifters.  Must be the high performance engine in it... :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline scootertrash

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »
My prius doesn't use hydraulic lifters.  Must be the high performance engine in it... :rotflmao:
Nice. So what interval on the hi performance prius"ss" valve lash check?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 01:30:09 PM »
120k.  I've missed that one and the 240k interval.  They are a bit noisy so I've been thinking about getting that looked at.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline scootertrash

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 09:23:23 PM »
You have more than 240k miles on the prius ss? How is it doing, becides the loose valve clearance?(apparently the valves get looser and not tighter?) I've been thinking prius, but the wife refuses because top gear hates it so much. 55 mpg win's my heart. Any maintenance issues with it?
thank's.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 04:03:55 AM »
I saw the Top Gear test they did and it was bogus as far as checking out the car and gas mileage.  Just yesterday, on I95 I was getting 55mpg.  It's a good vehicle.  It's not a Corvette but for it's purpose it's quite adequate.    PM me if you want more info.

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 09:48:34 PM »
Did you get 55 mpg by taking the mileage and gallons actually used, or is that what the little TV on the dash told you? I have noticed most Prius drivers are going down the highway at 48 mph hunkered over the little tv screen, having little green orgasms as the screen shows larger and larger green bars.
2008 C-14

Offline scootertrash

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 01:53:40 AM »
Know that's funny right there.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2012, 04:15:56 AM »
Did you get 55 mpg by taking the mileage and gallons actually used, or is that what the little TV on the dash told you? I have noticed most Prius drivers are going down the highway at 48 mph hunkered over the little tv screen, having little green orgasms as the screen shows larger and larger green bars.

Yes, I typically ride in the left lane in I95 in northern VA doing 50 mph delighting in how many conventional drivers I **** off.  That's what gets me off, not the mpg I get.  ::)

But to answer your question on the MPG.  I do use the screen for the most part as trying to get accurate readings using the ole fill the tank method and seeing how much is used between fill ups isn't accurate either on my car.  The fuel tank has a bladder that expands and contracts with the amount of fuel in it.  This was used for emissions.  Unfortunately, it's elasticity (and mine) changes with the temperature outside the vehicle so unless I fill it up at exactly the same temperature those readings are suspect as well, at least that's what I've found.

In living in the northern VA area and driving here for many years I can't say that I've seen a Prius tooling along at 48mph.  Most drivers here bought them to use in the HOV lanes.  Why just yesterday on 3, I passed a newer Prius that was doing 60 in the right lane.  I drive mine at speed or higher depending on how I feel and the flow of traffic.  My car (or any that I've owned in the past) has never doddled along in any lane of traffic.

And that's it for the Prius.  I know I started this conversation but let's veer it back on to the valve adjustment path (C14), please.  Start a new thread in Open if you want to learn more from someone that's owned one since late 2004.