Author Topic: making the gas guage behave  (Read 8683 times)

Offline jim-d

• Arena
making the gas guage behave
« on: August 14, 2012, 11:53:02 AM »
Being no stranger to the Concours I got an variable resistor and installed it in the gauge sender line.  The connection is an old Tammy plug in & the resistor just didn't do its thing anymore so I swapped out the resistor.

Anyway, the best I can get is the guage says full when full, says about half after 50 miles and will sit on the red line for another 60 or so then run out of gas (switch to reserve).  I can't seem to get it more precise than that.

So has anyone had better results taking the tank apart and adjusting the internal float?  Any ideas on the angle of adjustment?  It would be a bear to adjust, fill, empty, adjust, fill.......

I am certain I would end up starting a fire.

Thanks

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: making the gas guage behave
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 12:24:44 PM »
I bent the sender arm, can't remember how far. You'll want to bend it so the float is lower. What I did is run the bike to reserve, then did the surgery. I would put it back together and reinstall on the bike. I kept doing this until the reserve is just when the needle stats touching the red. It took a few attempts to get it where I wanted it. Now it stays pegged for about 2.5 gallons, I usually have a gallon and a half or so left in the tank(+reserve) at about the 1/2 tank mark.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 01:44:57 PM »
I did the same thing as Steve, its easy, run the as much gas out as you can so it makes it easier to work on in it with it on its side.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 07:41:20 PM »
Same here too... Took 3 tries to get mine where I wanted it but when I'm showing half a tank I can add exactly that 3.75 gallons and do not touch reserve until near the very bottom of the red band.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:14:34 PM »
Jim, I have an extra 220ohm resistor that we can install on your sending unit, easy peasy, and it will give you a decent reading,
at least a whole lot better than you are getting now. We can put it on when you show up for the Covered Bridges Run, on Sept 2nd..  8)
Not that I'm volunteering you or anything.. BUT, at least you can finally get in the pictures!!
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Tele130

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 08:28:25 AM »
I did the resistor mod per instructions.....http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/clubstatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=30728.

I set it so once the full "WIDTH" of the fuel needle is just inside the Red section of the gauge she want me to switch to reserve.  It's dead on every single time without fail.  I don't care about the amount (number of gallons that remain or needed to fill up). 

If the needle is getting close to the Red mark on the gauge?  Look for fuel.  Rather I'm on the road in "Tour Mode" getting 44 MPG or out running with the Boyz :o ;) in the country.

Just seems that having to fiddle around bending the float arm a number of times to get it set where you want it is a lot more work.  Not being critical or demeaning.  Just my $0.02 :thumbs: ;D
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
Just seems that having to fiddle around bending the float arm a number of times to get it set where you want it is a lot more work.  Not being critical or demeaning.  Just my $0.02 :thumbs: ;D

It is a lot more work.... Some of us did this before we heard of the resister method.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Tele130

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:27:14 AM »
It is a lot more work.... Some of us did this before we heard of the resister method.

OH,................"I see said the blind man". ;D

That makes sense.  Thanks Tony.

Doug Colton

Offline jim-d

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 11:52:52 AM »
Thanks for the offer Walkman.

It's my Dad's 90th.  I don't know yet what day we are getting together so I'll be there depending.
Also I am never in the pictures becasue my silver concours is the fastest color and cannot be photographed.  Does show up on radar as a blur.  Can be tracked by satellite.  Just sayin'

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 11:12:10 PM »
JimBillyBobJoe, you HAVE to stay with the group to get your pic taken, not bolt out early! Ok, I'll take your pics
in the morning, before you bail out on me!  8) Yes, I know the reasons from before, but you fed me the ammo, and I'm using it! :shoot:
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline timmerz

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 07:35:59 AM »
I did the resistor mod per instructions.....http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/clubstatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=30728.

This is great info, thanks for posting that...I'm going to give it a shot assuming I can get ahold of the correct 220ohm resisitor somewhere...don't even remember if I own a solder gun any more, gotta check...

Offline Tele130

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »
This is great info, thanks for posting that...I'm going to give it a shot assuming I can get ahold of the correct 220ohm resisitor somewhere...don't even remember if I own a solder gun any more, gotta check...

Try Radio Shack.  The one in the picture came from there.

I also have a very rare Plug & Play "TWC-001 Fuel Gauge Adjuster" from Tammy...(www.totallywiredcycles.com).  Never been installed and one of the last........if not THE LAST ONE EVER MADE!  Complete with instructions.  Don't know if I'm willing to let it go but you never know.  ;)

Doug Colton

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »

I've got some extra resistors laying around from when I did the mod. If you wanna shoot me a pm with your address I'll be glad to send one out. Mark

Offline timmerz

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 07:55:17 PM »
I've got some extra resistors laying around from when I did the mod. If you wanna shoot me a pm with your address I'll be glad to send one out. Mark

Thanks very much for the offer, Mark! Did you do the 220ohm fix-it, and did it work to your satisfaction?
If the answer's yes, I'll gladly hit your PayPal account with whatever your original cost was plus shipping/mail to my place! Would totally be worth it! That gas gauge is a weak point on my bike just like everybody else's...
Tim

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 08:07:19 PM »
Thanks very much for the offer, Mark! Did you do the 220ohm fix-it, and did it work to your satisfaction?
If the answer's yes, I'll gladly hit your PayPal account with whatever your original cost was plus shipping/mail to my place! Would totally be worth it! That gas gauge is a weak point on my bike just like everybody else's...
Tim

I did the 220ohm fix it from radio shack, and yes it made a big difference. I'm very happy with the gas guage now. When the needle hits the red zone, reserve will be coming soon. On a full tank that will be at the 260-275 mi mark when I hit reserve. Don't worry about PayPal as I don't even have one,  just send info and I'll be glad to send you one. Its one of the easiest mods you'll do with a nice improvement. Mark

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »

+1 on the 220ohm fix. Real happy with the gas guage now.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline timmerz

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 09:32:40 PM »
That is the shiznit! PM sent, and thank you very much!
Tim

Offline donteatmyfood

• DONT PANIC
    • Dont Eat My Food
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 08:36:56 AM »
I will try the 220 ohm fix as well.  Mine is in the red at 160 miles (4 gallons normal riding) and I kept wondering why Kawi gave me a 3.5 gallon reserve! :o
Keep the shiny side up!

Offline deanc

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 07:06:25 AM »
Regarding the 220 ohm fix, does this mean I simply wire in the resistor without having to go to reserve and tampering with adjustments like on the 1000 ohm variable fix mentioned in the COG's "Fuel Gauge Adjustment" page?

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 07:20:26 AM »
 Yup, that what it means. I did it on the connector that comes from the tank. Removed the wires from the plug and soldered it across the wires and reinstalled the wires. Should be about half way into the red on the guage when you get to reserve.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc