Author Topic: Interesting problem  (Read 4286 times)

Offline nevadazx12

Interesting problem
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:42:03 PM »
I was riding home today and I noticed something kind of weird, my neutral light stopped working along with the tach, temperature gauge and aux lights.  It was an intermittent problem, didn't seem to effect the running of the bike.   Checked the fuses, all is well there.  Looks like all the indicator lights are effected, except turn signal ones.

thanks,
1986 Connie
1974 BMW 90/6
1964 Triumph T100SC

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Interesting problem
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:12:59 PM »
Define "checking the fuses". Fuses can fail on an intermittent basis. Replace it/them with others that are known to work/new ones. Very well could be J-box. Fuses are cheaper.

Good Lucki.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline nevadazx12

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:40:22 PM »
Did some reading on Jbox problems, appears like my symptoms may be associated with that area.  Now where is the Jbox located, is it behind the fuse panel?  Once I find it I can open it up and re-solder the connections. 
1986 Connie
1974 BMW 90/6
1964 Triumph T100SC

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »
The fuse box is part of the Jbox. The stuff your looking for is inside the box.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline nevadazx12

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 01:22:40 PM »
Thanks Steve,

Found a picture of the item on e-bay.  Also found some good repair information in the forum, ordered new relays from Jameco, should be here in a couple of days, then I will just replace everything and re-solder the runs and connections. 
1986 Connie
1974 BMW 90/6
1964 Triumph T100SC

Offline Summit670

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 03:57:01 PM »
I'm terrible with a solder gun so I took my J-box to the local TV repair place and they re-soldered the back of the board in 15 minutes, but that was not replacing anything.

Where is that source for parts and do I need to know what I want or do they have "kits"?
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline JDM

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 04:10:08 PM »
Before you tear in to the jbox, make sure the fuses are tight in the fuse holders.  They can get loose and cause all kinds of problems.  Take a small screw driver and tighten up the tangs so you can feel resistance when you re-install the fuses.   
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline nevadazx12

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »
Here is the thread where I found the repair info and relay part numbers.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4581.msg52790#msg52790       

I ended up using the JS1-12V number @$1.55 ea to order, used Jameco because it's in Calif, and I used them for parts when I was in the electronics repair industry.  There is a $10.00 minimum so I supplemented the order by getting a few 40A tab relays that are good for accessory items such as lights, or....
As a word of caution, you shouldn't be using a soldering gun on a circuit board, too much watts and heat, you can really do some damage.  A soldering iron of no more than 60W was all we ever used.
1986 Connie
1974 BMW 90/6
1964 Triumph T100SC

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 07:17:28 PM »
Here is the thread where I found the repair info and relay part numbers.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4581.msg52790#msg52790       
As a word of caution, you shouldn't be using a soldering gun on a circuit board, too much watts and heat, you can really do some damage.  A soldering iron of no more than 60W was all we ever used.
[/quoted]
A small iron is all you need to resolder the relays. I prefer a gun for the fuse  holders and other higher mass connections - but I've been soldering more years than I care to admit.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 01:04:29 PM »
Did you go thru any other analysis of the J box prior to oredering stuff/spending money?
Just asking, as the symptoms you have are also indicative of a bad black/yel ground wire connection at the left hand coil mount, where it connects to the mounting bolt.... check that before you rip into anything else. The ring lug there often gets destroyed/wire frays at the crimp junction, and with that bad connection causes those malfunctions. ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline nevadazx12

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 08:41:44 PM »
Great point MOB,

NO, didn't know about it but I will check it out tomorrow as the parts arrived over the weekend.  Bad grounds can cause all sorts of phantom problems, that can have you going round in ever decreasing circles.

thanks!!

gg
1986 Connie
1974 BMW 90/6
1964 Triumph T100SC

Offline nevadazx12

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 03:09:54 PM »
Got the new realys, my ground connection was redone when I installed Tony's stick coils so that was good and tight.  Replaced the relays, when trying to de-solder an item it's helpful to add new solder to the joint, then it becomes molten easier and you can use a solder-pullet to suck the solder out of the connection.  Installed the relays, did resolder a number of the connections, a word of caution, when you are heating up the fuse holder bits they will come out of alignment, making putting the cover on a bit harder.  Fired the old girl up and everything is nicely working as it should be.

1986 Connie
1974 BMW 90/6
1964 Triumph T100SC

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 03:39:17 PM »
, a word of caution, when you are heating up the fuse holder bits they will come out of alignment,

Install the fuses prior to soldering to keep the fuse holders stabilized.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline julianop

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 03:48:49 PM »
Install the fuses prior to soldering to keep the fuse holders stabilized.

And also to help dissipate the heat.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.