Author Topic: Front tire cupping  (Read 2515 times)

Offline kawacop1642

Front tire cupping
« on: May 13, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »
So I just ordered a new set of pilot road 2's to replace the stockers with on my C14. I noticed on a ride yesterdy that I was experiencing a little more shake in the fron end then usual and a little more work in the turns with the stock bridgestones. I checked out the fron tire and noticed alot of cupping. on they way home i slowed to about 40mph and let go of the handlebars at which time they began to wobble, or shake pretty badly. Also had to lean slightly to one side to keep the bike going straight. I have 6900 miles on them and the front is way more worn then the rear. I never had the bike's suspension/dampening adjusted. it's still set from the factory. Could this be the problem? or is this normal for the stock tires? I keep 42psi. as directed by the manual.
  What can I do to keep this from happening with the PR2's?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Front tire cupping
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 09:57:46 AM »
Well known issue with the POS Bridgestone tires, the PR2's will work great for you.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Canada44

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 10:00:47 AM »
Wow you got some good mileage from the stock crappy tires. I got about 4000 miles out of them. That is very normal for the OEM tires to cup. Your first ride with the new PR2 will seem like you have a new bike.   ;D

The sooner you put on the PR2's the better

2010 ABS C14

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 05:25:45 PM »
As others have said, its those crap stock tires. The treacherous POS front tire will have you questioning suspension settings, your riding style, etc. Its just the tire. You're bike will be transformed with the new Michelin's.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Excavator

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 09:00:14 PM »
What everyone else said. My stock front tire got replaced at 4300....it was junk. You will love the new tires!

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 07:31:56 AM »
My front was replaced at 3500 miles, no cupping but it was at the wear bars, the rear was replaced at 5000 miles, no cupping on that one either but I was heading on a trip and didn't want to chance if it would make the extra miles. I have the PR 3 on the rear and the 023 on the front, factory setting on the suspension, everything seems fine, but I know there is room for improvement over the stock settings. I just haven't done it yet.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 10:10:04 AM »
Warning - PR2 fronts like high tire pressure.  They will prematurely cup if you run them mid 30's or lower.

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 09:18:08 PM »
+++++++++ What everybody else said. I was never so glad to see a set of tires wear out (about 4,300 for me). The PR3s made the bike what it is supposed to be. I now have about 3,000 miles and I have never (in over 40 years) had a tire wear so evenly (I changed nothing on the bike when I swapped tires). And, absolutely YES, keep the pressures correct.

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
On my 2010 the front and rear OEM tires began cupping at roughly 2,500 miles. I am now on the Pirellis approaching 2,000 miles and no cupping as of yet. As a matter of fact, they both still look almost new and I can't really detect any wear to date. We'll see, but I like them a great deal. With both the stockers and now the Angels I run them at 42 cold.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 11:41:49 AM »
Michelin FTW.  190/55
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine