Author Topic: Alaska trip advise  (Read 29488 times)

Offline tchinkov

Re: Alaska trip advise
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2015, 11:03:37 PM »
Just don't blink, you could miss it.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2015, 06:44:53 AM »
I have done some long days just to get home or to get to the area I want to ride but I agree completely. In fact the very best trips I've taken there was only a general direction in mind when I left, and have ridden for a week where every day was unplanned. You see and discover things you never would have if you planned the destination.

+1, there is nothing beats it!

Its always the best adventure indeed. I even do that in my Tundra truck sometimes. Last time I went to Moab/Death Valley/Sonora I had the KTM, I heard they were getting snow in Durango, Colorado and I thought it'd be neat to hang out before the extreme deserts.

I went and the folks there asked me to stay and ride. I asked "How do i ride in this crap".  My bike was turning white fast

The whole place is like only 2 miles long but has a stealership, they took me there and showed me this nice accessory

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2015, 06:54:22 AM »
 :yikes:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2015, 10:19:22 AM »

The whole place is like only 2 miles long but has a stealership, they took me there and showed me this nice accessory

Man I think that would be hard to ride. Without the gyroscopic effect of the wheels I would think it would be very unstable. You would have to have a great sense of balance and lean without the natural feel of a bike. But I don't know. Crazy stuff right there.

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2015, 09:59:18 AM »

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2015, 04:47:12 PM »
just returned from 9000 mile round trip from home near Anchorage, Alaska to southern Utah and back. The Connie fared well. Got a flat tire in one of the road construction areas just south of the Alaska - Canada boarder on Alcan highway. Used a plug and pump that I brought to repair tire however it continued to leak slowly. Made it to Whitehorse and since no one would repair the tire, and there were no direct replacements, I tried a remedy offered by the local Yamaha dealer which consisted deflating the tire, installing a product called ride-on, re-inflating, and then riding through one heat cycle. This fix worked perfectly with no loss of air for the balance of the trip. I left the Connie at a relatives house in Washington so I can fly down for cycling trips without the 4300 mile round trip via road. I had two bikes on the trip with the other one being a new BMW R1200GS.

Roads were good overall with the exception of about the first 100 miles south of the Alaska - Canada boarder. Gas was not an issue other than premium not available everywhere. It is wise thought to fill up often in the less populated areas. I went via the Cassiar highway both ways and there is certainly limited accommodations there. If anyone wants more details just let me know.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2015, 04:50:27 PM »
Did you leave the plug in when you used the Ride-on?

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2015, 06:25:42 PM »
What brand tire?

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2015, 07:56:28 PM »
Left plug in

Michelin Pilot Road 3

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2015, 12:02:38 AM »
Man I think that would be hard to ride. Without the gyroscopic effect of the wheels I would think it would be very unstable. You would have to have a great sense of balance and lean without the natural feel of a bike. But I don't know. Crazy stuff right there.

the gyroscopic effect of the wheels on the balance of a bike are grossly overestimated. I wish I had the source at hand, but by 50 mph it accounts for just 6% of the stabilising forces. Minute steering inputs do the job.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.