Author Topic: Latch Springs  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Dan in Grand Rapids

Latch Springs
« on: April 05, 2014, 08:07:14 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I tried searching, but could not find anything. I am finally sick of my saddlebag latches not having working springs and would like to replace them. Has anyone done this? If so, where did you get the springs?

Thanks,

Dan
1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650

Offline Summit670

Re: Latch Springs
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 09:35:27 AM »
I had to replace one that broke.  Got one at Ace Hardware.  They had a lot of different sizes/styles to choose from.  IIRC, it was a 99.9% match and it works fine.  Takes some patience and one or two dental pics to install.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:47:38 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I will take it apart and stop by Ace today. I did not think they would have something like this. Good tip.
1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 05:32:02 AM »
I have heard in the past that a few people have used the spring from a ball-point pen...
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Summit670

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 07:29:27 AM »
The spring which holds the latch shut hooks over a knub on the outside and the long mounting rivet appears to go thru the eye on the inside.  I didn't remove the rivet on mine, I made a C type end on that end of the spring and hooked it over the rivet.

It may be possible to bend the end of the rivet  and remove it, install the spring, then spread the end of the rivet again so it doesn't fall out.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 05:05:51 AM »
Well, I have new springs installed from ACE. The springs are a bit different than the original. They are the same length, but are a bit wider. The important part is that they work and I am happy with the results. Thanks for the suggestion.
1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650

Offline Summit670

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 12:21:56 PM »
My Ace Hardware had springs which look so similar I had a hard time seeing which one was the Ace spring when I was looking at it the other day.  I suppose each Ace may not carry the same springs.  Glad you are happy.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules