Author Topic: Rear Brake Pedal  (Read 18289 times)

Offline RedBombardier

Rear Brake Pedal
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:52:14 AM »
I'm just wondering... does anyone besides me have trouble with the rear brake pedal?  Over the winter I had major surgery on my leg and now I find it difficult ti turn my toes inward to push down on the pedal.  I saw on the other board a thread where someone was having the same problem but can not find anything here.  Of course before my surgery, I did not even notice how far inward the pedal is.  Also, I have moved the thing up down and everywhere in between.  Thanks guys, I really would appreciate any help.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:40:42 PM by VirginiaJim »
Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life
2009 Candy Diamond Red C14, Guhl. Delkevic

Offline Cold Streak

Re: Rear Brake Petal
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 11:54:48 AM »
Now that you mention it I do have to kind of twist my foot to get my toes on the pedal.  I hardly ever use it though so it's not a big deal.

Offline vortex2

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »

Offline RedBombardier

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:10:53 PM »
There is an adjustable one made for the zx14 it may fit the Concours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.m656&item=190447634496&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D2106508110772954770

Well for starters, I am going to contact that guy... Thanks a bunch.  You know, I never really noticed the "twist" of the foot before.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  Anyway, I do not use the rear brake all that much anyway, especially now.  I would like to if I want to, though.  :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:30:55 PM by RedBombardier »
Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »
I rarely use it and when I have, I have not noticed any improvement in stopping distance. If I try using just the rear brake, it doesn't seem to do much of anything to stop the bike.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:50:26 PM »
Rear brake = convenient device to hold the motorcycle on a hill while starting.

But if you have linked brakes, I don't see the point in applying any more rear brake for stopping purposes.  I don't use the rear brake on a sportbike.  I would probably use the rear brake on my Concours if it didn't have linked brakes.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Rear Brake Pedal
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 04:42:44 PM »
I use both brakes all the time.  I paid for both, I want both, but that's me.  I'm funny like that.

Anyway, to the OP, I changed the spelling of 'petal' to 'pedal'.  I couldn't stand it anymore.  Images of flowers on a C14 kept coming to mind.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 04:51:24 PM »
I rarely use it and when I have, I have not noticed any improvement in stopping distance. If I try using just the rear brake, it doesn't seem to do much of anything to stop the bike.

I, too, almost never use the rear brake (unless you count that it is linked to the front now).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 05:04:47 PM »
I use both brakes all the time.  I paid for both, I want both, but that's me.  I'm funny like that.

Anyway, to the OP, I changed the spelling of 'petal' to 'pedal'.  I couldn't stand it anymore.  Images of flowers on a C14 kept coming to mind.

:rotflmao:

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 09:42:15 PM »
Thanks for changing the spelling VirginiaJim.  I was going to make a joke about how if you're pushing on a petal, of course you won't get any stopping power, but I, never mind ...

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 12:39:21 AM »

I have been through that phase myself, but it went away after I retook my regular dosis of prozac

To the OP, I completely agree with your findings. I also tend to use both front and rear brakes, for the simple reason that it will stop me in a shorter distance, which is what we have them for... :o
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 05:26:48 AM »

I must be funny like that too. But mostly I use both because I like to keep my muscle memory fresh for when I ride another bike.

Anyway, I had that issue with the stock pedal and commented about it, and my solution, in the former forum, may it rest in peace. I simply bought a set of slip-on race pedals from Auto Zone and used the screw-tight brackets it comes with to atach to the stocker. It makes the stock pedal wider and larger, and also raises it a half-inch, so it begins to activate with less downward force. It works for me.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 05:37:31 AM »
It's surprising to me how many guys don't use the rear brake, to each their own I guess.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline vortex2

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 05:43:01 AM »
SeaLevel, I would be afraid that big brake pedal would catch on the ground in a corner.
Have you leaned it over to see if it touches before the peg feeler?

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 05:52:54 AM »
SeaLevel, I would be afraid that big brake pedal would catch on the ground in a corner.
Have you leaned it over to see if it touches before the peg feeler?

The peg feeler is lower and sticks out further than the brake pad. It hasn't scraped the ground yet. If it should, the worst that would happen is that the brake pad cover I put on would break off from the stock pedal.

Offline RedBombardier

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 06:34:15 AM »

Thanks, I just woke up.  I do know the difference.  :)
Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 06:37:48 AM »
It's surprising to me how many guys don't use the rear brake, to each their own I guess.

Well, I know there are some good uses for it, but I was actually trained to NOT use the rear braket, for safety.  The premise was to force me to think of the front brake as all important, since the rear contributes so little to stopping (especially to hard/panic stopping) and if it were used too much, especially while not going straight, it could be disastrous.

12 years later, I am still stuck in that mode.  And now I figure with linked brakes that cannot be unlinked, ABS, and traction control, there is no reason to unlearn it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 07:04:35 AM »
In my unprofessional but highly experienced opinion, you were trained incorrectly, Max.

But I will agree that on the Kawi system, it's pretty much a moot point.    ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 08:29:06 AM »
In my unprofessional but highly experienced opinion, you were trained incorrectly, Max.

But I will agree that on the Kawi system, it's pretty much a moot point.    ;D

I'd have to agree, on both counts. Every MC class that I've ever taken teaches using both brakes. I use both equally. Of course the front brake supplies the most stopping power hands down but the rear has it's place too. I use it to set up corners all the time, either trail braking or just to scrub off a lil speed before entering the corner.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 08:43:24 AM »
Well, I know there are some good uses for it, but I was actually trained to NOT use the rear braket, for safety.  The premise was to force me to think of the front brake as all important, since the rear contributes so little to stopping (especially to hard/panic stopping) and if it were used too much, especially while not going straight, it could be disastrous.

12 years later, I am still stuck in that mode.  And now I figure with linked brakes that cannot be unlinked, ABS, and traction control, there is no reason to unlearn it.

Me too, on the track.  But a supersport on clean dry pavement will do a stoppie before the front will slide out, meaning the front brake can provide up to 100% of the braking force - and any application of the rear will reduce the net braking power as the front has to be let up sufficiently to keep adequate traction on the rear.

MSF is right - most motorcycles OTHER than supersports cannot provide 100% of the braking power to the front.  And for that matter neither can a supersport on a wet or slick road therefore both brakes must be used to maximize power.

I think I've asked before in the other forum and was answered that the C14 will slide out on the front before doing a stoppie (I wouldn't know with the ABS and traction control) due to its weight.  So yes the rear brake has to be used.  Evertime I've tried to use it I just get this nasty pulsating interaction with the rear brake proportioner so I've quit.  I've had the ABS kick in the rear on hard stops with no rear brake application so I can only assume the rear bias is more than optimal to begin with.