Author Topic: Interesting camera mount for fuel tank  (Read 9019 times)

Offline MGvaleri

Re: Interesting camera mount for fuel tank
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 03:04:40 PM »
Maybe you could "help" me with the cnc programming code for that beautiful luggage rack setup you made for the 47L trunk :thumbs: ;D

Still can't stop dreaming about that little gem!!!  :hail:

I have a motion level beyond my ability, not for this I find it fantastic, it is, with my plate is really the Queen of GT fast.

MGvalerio. 8)

Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline Yves

• Sexy, 2012
Rationality have no place around bikes.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 04:41:16 PM »
Thanks for that link. I have lots of Ram Mount stuff. Great products.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline old jack

• RUReady
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 07:50:31 AM »
Just though I would throw my 2 cents in, there is not a lot to do when its -10 today.

Anyway I have been riding for 50 years and have been taking picture forever. In my experience, it you want the very best Video on a Motorcycle there is only one place to mount a camera and that's on your helmet. Your head is the best stabilizer out there and if you want smooth Video this is the way to do it. I have hundreds of hours of Video on Road Bikes, Dirt Bikes, ATV's and even  Ice Boats in the Winter with this set-up and have got what a lot of my friends consider the best private Video of them they have seen.

It might cost you maybe $25.00 for this mount,  two 1 inch Ram Ball Mounts and in my case a 1 1/2 adapter. (Ram make any number of different sizes) If anyone is interest I can go into more detail on making the helmet mount but its pretty easy.

The camera also goes were you look so if you want a gauge picture just keep your eyes up and tilt your Helmet down, or turn the thing around to see where you have been or to take pictures of  you buddies behind you. (some of the best views of them)

See the pictures attached, I didn't spend a lot of time taking these stills so bare with me.

I use a Contour HD Camera because its small and very rugged, I can't tell you how may branches this thing has hit and it keeps on ticking. and it tucks in pretty tight if need be.

Old Jack
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2002 Honda VTX 1800

Offline pistole

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 08:41:14 AM »
In my experience, it you want the very best Video on a Motorcycle there is only one place to mount a camera and that's on your helmet. Your head is the best stabilizer out there and if you want smooth Video this is the way to do it

- i had thought so too , but having experimented with a GoPro on my helmet versus mounted on the side of bike , would say that a solid bike mount is the best.

- anyhow , you can see and evaluate for yourself in these two videos (the first is helmet mounted) and the second is bike mounted.

Cayman & Merc - This was Fast

Jemaluang to Kluang (10th March 2013)

Offline pistole

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »
- that and with a helmet mount , the appearance/perception of elevation changes and curvature is largely lost.

- example :

HWY 4 - Brilliant Curves & Elevation

- and if you tend to ride fast , a cam mounted on your helmet is a constant distraction , not to mention the fact that you can't check on what the cam is doing (there were times when I could not remember whether I had pressed the recording button or not).

- for a solid bike mount , you need to take your time to select the place and fashion a good mount. And you'll also need to test.

cheers

Offline old jack

• RUReady
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 09:42:31 AM »
Nice Video's, but I guess you have never riding in Canada, you would need to spend a lot of time finding a smooth road up here. So I guess its a matter as you say of experimenting. My choice would still be the side of the Helmet, basically the rider view.

Old Jack
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2002 Honda VTX 1800

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 10:56:09 AM »
- i had thought so too , but having experimented with a GoPro on my helmet versus mounted on the side of bike , would say that a solid bike mount is the best.

pistole, can you share a little more info & pics on how and where you mounted it on your bike? I like the camera view from there but not sure how you achieved it. I get nervous trusting my $300 camera to a suction cup mount of double sided tape.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 01:39:23 PM »
pistole, can you share a little more info & pics on how and where you mounted it on your bike? I like the camera view from there but not sure how you achieved it. I get nervous trusting my $300 camera to a suction cup mount of double sided tape.

KIT    FAI DA TE
http://youtu.be/URnM1ENZWaA

MGvalerio. 8)
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 01:47:42 PM »
KIT    FAI DA TE
MGvalerio. 8)

Thanks for the post MG, but I don't know why you quoted me ..... it has nothing to do with my question.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline pistole

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 03:23:57 AM »

- hi.

- below is the present setup that is on the bike. Its zip-tied to the R&G Adventure Bars (crash bars).

- before the R&G bars were installed , I had the setup below (again zip tied , but to the fairing's side strakes). It worked too , but the GoPro was too close to the fairing and the vid showed too much of the bike.

- that and all that hot air breathing constantly on the cam was/would probably not be such a great thing ....

- anyhow , good luck experimenting ! And yeah , I don't trust the suction cup either , but if you secure the cam with a tether , it would really expand your choices of places that you could put the cam.