Author Topic: 4 pot caliper question  (Read 2073 times)

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
4 pot caliper question
« on: August 14, 2011, 04:53:54 PM »
In preperation for my tokiko 4 pot upgrade I snagged a nice set off of ebay.  They appear to be in clean good shape, they are off of an 03 gsxr 750 I dont know how long they have been sitting. My question to the experts out there is do I need to split them and replace the seals or just what should be done in preperation while waiting for the new adaptors to be finished by Jim Snyder and co. or make my own now that I have the calipers?  Also what is going to be a good pad to install. thx Steve
no.1 Dale Singleton fan along with King Kenny Roberts/Fast Freddie Spencer/ Steve and Shoodabeen.    aka (connkawi)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: 4 pot caliper question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 06:26:22 PM »
I think I'd just clean them up with some brakeclean, and run some hh pads. It worked fine for me! Steve

Offline mlf73

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:46:10 PM »
I think you should be OK with just cleaning them up if they look to be in good shape.  That's all I did with mine and I ended up with about the same year/model calipers you have.  The EBC equivalent pad number should be FA158.  As Steve said, a set of HH will be good or even a set of kevlar/organic pads will be OK.  I'm running a set of organic pads and they seem to work fine for me.
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 07:19:32 PM »
I run that same caliper on my sv 650 with some similar adapters.  May calipers came with ebc pads and they do work well-enoughl.  But if you want to try something in the amazing category, look for Vesrah RJL compound.

enim57

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 08:27:17 PM »
They are probably OK if they look clean with no signs of leaking seals but you won't know for sure until they are under pressure. If this bike is going to be long term for you then dimantling, inspection, and fitting new seals is peace of mind.

Regards, Russell

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 08:00:04 AM »
Great advice from all I really appreciate it. Regards steve
no.1 Dale Singleton fan along with King Kenny Roberts/Fast Freddie Spencer/ Steve and Shoodabeen.    aka (connkawi)

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 05:22:01 PM »
I must have more info on this upgrade!  Who is making the adapters?   I am dying for some better brakes on this bike.

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 10:50:59 PM »
I'd ordered the seal kits while waiting for delivery of the calipers, I knew I was doing brakes for the long-haul and wanted the peace of mind that you only get if you do the full rebuild.

Externally mine cleaned-up pretty good.

When I broke 'em apart to install the seal kit I found a 1/2 teaspoon of something that looked like a big lunger in the lowest back cylinder of one caliper.  Must've been some kind of emulsion of fluid and water, was very thick and nasty; there's no way that would ever flush from that location - that cylinder is a 'dead-end' in the brake system.
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750