Author Topic: USB Power Outlet  (Read 748 times)

gpineau

USB Power Outlet
« on: May 22, 2021, 09:33:07 AM »
I had a combo USM cigarette lighter outlet on my bike mounted on the glove box panel. I had it hooked to the power wire under the glove box on the left side. There were two problems with it. 1 You would loose the USB outlet if you take off the glove box and  2 since the wires there were always hot it would eventually drain the battery.

Got a Dual USB outlet and mounted it in the dash so I will always have power even when I take the cowling off. I need the power to keep my laptop charged while I am driving and tuning.
I got power from the positive wire on the spark coil. That wire is only live when the switch is on so I don't have to worry about draining the batter when I park it overnight.

got it from Amazon for $10  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6S2SNM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://youtu.be/dapU1naIExo

Offline connie_rider

Re: USB Power Outlet
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 08:01:02 AM »
That's the same one I'm using on my 14.
Has worked great for years.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 02:50:59 AM »
I fitted a cigarette lighter socket in that exact spot years ago and it's wired direct to the battery, via a fuse box, so always on.
It mostly gets used to plug in my battery maintainer but I also have a low profile dual USB adapter that can be used to charge my cellphone.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 07:50:36 AM »
i don't have a pic, but i put one in the LH 'glove box' mounted to the inside 'wall'  of it. has 2 usb ports and a cig lighter power port to power my garmin (needs its own cord for live traffic updates).  i notched the cover so a cable can come out when its closed, and is good in the rain.  can charge ph IN pocket or on the ram mount.

very similar to this.

powered off the acc lines under the fairing.

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

gpineau

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 07:49:30 PM »
I have one like the one in the picture mounted in the lower part of the left side glove box.  I had it wired to the live wires under the fairing but that would drain the battery in about a week. So I rewired it so that the left side (the cigarette lighter was always live but the USB ports on the right was powered through a switch. The switch has a bright LED inside so you don't forget when it is on.