Author Topic: PCV  (Read 3635 times)

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
PCV
« on: December 07, 2011, 08:35:03 AM »
I feel like a idiot asking this but what the hell!
What exactly does the Power Commander V do? Is it strictly for remapping the fuel? Does it take the place of the ECM? I even went on their site but even they don't explicitly say what it does.

Thanks, Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: PCV
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 09:40:01 AM »
Short answer. It piggybacks on the ecm and and adjusts the length of time the injectors are open. It will either lengthen or shorten that time by the parameters of the installed map in the PCV.

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 10:47:12 AM »
Thanks for the short answer! I kind of thought that was its function but wasn't sure. Are there performance boosts to be had on a completely stock bike or is just for tuning to mods done on a bike?

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline Fretka

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 10:55:27 AM »
Maybe if you removed the bikini girls, your wife might come to like the Connie.

F.
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 01:39:44 PM »
She knows nothing about the bikini girls and I want to keep it that way!
She went for a 3 mile ride to her daughters house with me the day I got it home. She wouldn't ride it home with me! I was very easy on the throttle and very careful. She just didn't like it. I think it was two things, no backrest for her and she thinks it is a crotch rocket and she hates crotch rockets. She always wanted to go riding on my V-Strom though.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 02:11:05 PM »
Modest performance enhancement is available on most bikes usually. In some cases certain vehicles can be made to run better (but perhaps not as clean) than stock although the C-14 does seem to run pretty well stock.

The biggest need for a Power Commander is so that the secondary butterflies (the 'flies') can be removed and the mixture adjusted so the bike runs correctly without them.

Brian

Thanks for the short answer! I kind of thought that was its function but wasn't sure. Are there performance boosts to be had on a completely stock bike or is just for tuning to mods done on a bike?

Matt
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 03:30:18 PM »
The biggest need for a Power Commander is so that the secondary butterflies (the 'flies') can be removed and the mixture adjusted so the bike runs correctly without them.

Brian

That right there is the biggest consideration for buying one I have had. I knew I needed one if I was gonna pull the flies but wasn't sure exactly what else it may have done.
On a similar subject, is it the ECM controlling the flies that limits the MPH or does the ECM actually cut off ignition and or fuel to keep us under 155. Not that I ever intend to go that fast on mine though. I have been 130 and at that point 155 doesn't seem that far off ::)

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 03:44:13 PM »
That right there is the biggest consideration for buying one I have had. I knew I needed one if I was gonna pull the flies but wasn't sure exactly what else it may have done.
On a similar subject, is it the ECM controlling the flies that limits the MPH or does the ECM actually cut off ignition and or fuel to keep us under 155. Not that I ever intend to go that fast on mine though. I have been 130 and at that point 155 doesn't seem that far off ::)

Matt

Not sure how the speed limiting is achieved, but folks with the gen 2 C14s got the shaft with that deal. Our older 08s & 09 models are limited to 182mph.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 04:04:13 PM »
Not sure how the speed limiting is achieved, but folks with the gen 2 C14s got the shaft with that deal. Our older 08s & 09 models are limited to 182mph.

Don't tell me that! I'll think I have to try it out ;D I thought it was only the '08s that were completely unlimited and they would only go 180ish.

I wonder what it would be like going into turn 1 here at Indy at 182. Would it even make it through the corner???

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 04:54:07 PM »
Don't tell me that! I'll think I have to try it out ;D I thought it was only the '08s that were completely unlimited and they would only go 180ish.

I wonder what it would be like going into turn 1 here at Indy at 182. Would it even make it through the corner???

Matt
Now You have Me doubting Myself. You could be right about it only being the 08s. I do have My doubts however, that even with a PCV and flies out like mine, that they will actually do 180mph. Again, I could be wrong, but 160 seems more realistic.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 03:50:21 AM »
Hey basmntdweller,

Just so that we know that you know, the ECU can be reflashed with a new map. PCV not needed and the flies can stay in. Just do a search on "Guhl" and read what has already been posted.  8)
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 06:25:33 AM »
On the crashed forum there was an epic thread about 08-09 C14 top speed and the consensus was 165 tops. When the Honda Blackbird and Suzuki Hayabusa first came out around 98 an unoffical electronic speed limit of 186 mph was imposed by many factories. However, since the stock C14 is not capable of approaching this speed I doubt it has this limitation.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 06:35:35 AM »
Not sure what year this bike is but it clearly does more than 186 MPH with no speed limiter in sight. Assuming the tach. is reading 9,300 RPM, and my bike does 72 MPH at 3,500 RPM, I have this bike traveling at 190 + MPH. The real top speed limiter on these bikes, at least the first gen. models, is engine power but it appears that a turbo fixes that.

Brian

On the crashed forum there was an epic thread about 08-09 C14 top speed and the consensus was 165 tops. When the Honda Blackbird and Suzuki Hayabusa first came out around 98 an unoffical electronic speed limit of 186 mph was imposed by many factories. However, since the stock C14 is not capable of approaching this speed I doubt it has this limitation.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com