Author Topic: Parked next to an FJR the other day...  (Read 19547 times)

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
Parked next to an FJR the other day...
« on: May 23, 2012, 11:35:26 AM »
...at the front gate of Sea World Orlando and my wife was looking at it and we began discussing the differences and similarities.

The first thing my wife said was that my bike looks "Like it's meaner and means business" vs the non-aggressiveness of the FJR. I'm sure she was referring to the headlights but I found it rather comical when put in her terms.  ;D

So I guess I feel even better knowing that my Connie just "looks meaner" than the FJR too.  ::)
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Parked next to an FJR the other day...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 11:45:25 AM »
FJR has no KiPass 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:48:01 AM »
FJR has no KiPass 
:D And apparently it looks flabby and weak.
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 12:39:14 PM »
FJR has no KiPass 

All the FJR owners I know are most grateful of that fact every time they ride their bike.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 12:42:28 PM »
All the FJR owners I know are most grateful of that fact every time they ride their bike.
I've never had one.single.issue with the Kipass on BOTH of my C14s so I don't really get the reasons why they'd be "thankful" not to have it.  ???

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »
I've never had one.single.issue with the Kipass on BOTH of my C14s so I don't really get the reasons why they'd be "thankful" not to have it.  ???

Simple, added complexity which to them serves no real purpose or satisfies any need.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 01:53:24 PM »
KiPass is the most favorite part of my bike.

I snicker at the FJR's lack of 6th gear, lack of HP, etc.

But i laugh like $#%^ at its the lack of KiPass
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 01:55:40 PM »
KiPass is the most favorite part of my bike.

I snicker at the FJR's lack of 6th gear, lack of HP, etc.

But i laugh like $#%^ at its the lack of KiPass

YES!!!!! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 07:05:43 PM »

Before I bought the bike I thought the Kpass was a waste, but I am coming around.  I've lost count of how many times I've had to take my gloves back off to fish my key out of my pocket on my other bikes.  With the Connie, just hop on, push down, wait for the click and turn it on.  Get to the store, park the bike turn it off and walk away.  Definitely spoiling me.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 07:46:38 AM »
My brother-in-law bought a new Road King. Believe it or not, it also has a fob. Not sure how it functions - perhaps it still lets you operate in conventional way. Have not looked at it closely.

But yeah, I have my bike for 2 years now and Kipass is nice regardless what others say. Although it would be nice for Kawasaki to put a fail safe in case Kipass fails (which it did in a very small number of people).
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 07:55:16 AM »
My brother-in-law bought a new Road King. Believe it or not, it also has a fob.
Why is it that I can only picture a Harley fob as being encased in black leather with a fringe?
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 08:36:46 AM »
Before I bought the bike I thought the Kpass was a waste, but I am coming around.  I've lost count of how many times I've had to take my gloves back off to fish my key out of my pocket on my other bikes.  With the Connie, just hop on, push down, wait for the click and turn it on.  Get to the store, park the bike turn it off and walk away.  Definitely spoiling me.

I would feel the same way if I didn't have to access my side cases nearly every single trip.  I STILL have to fumble for an awkward in-fob key or take the stovepipe out to open them, saving me nothing.  Actually, I'd rather carry a smaller key in my pocket vs. a fat fob.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 08:44:28 AM »
I would feel the same way if I didn't have to access my side cases nearly every single trip.  I STILL have to fumble for an awkward in-fob key or take the stovepipe out to open them, saving me nothing.  Actually, I'd rather carry a smaller key in my pocket vs. a fat fob.

The new BMW KiPass controls the side bags as well. KiPass a great motorcycle product....all the manufacturers are expanding upon the technology.

Some don't have it yet (but will)  :D

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 08:44:56 AM »
I just leave my FOB in my riding jacket (or vest) and never have to touch it. When I stop and park, I store my helmet in my left bag by removing the stove key to unlock it, but that's not as much of a hassle as you seem to make it sound.

So what IS the big hassle there?  ::)

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 09:02:53 AM »
I leave this in my saddle bags and use it when it's time for fuel

2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »
I leave this in my saddle bags and use it when it's time for fuel

So you made yourself an extra? That's sweet but I don't see why it's so difficult to use the one in the ignition for fuel and bags. Am I missing something here?  ??? Is there some kind of lock on the new models that made it really hard to get the stove key out?

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 09:40:13 AM »
As I've told my kids many times, accurately describing the problem is often very close to accurately describing the solution.  All you have to do is get a "normal" key cut and put it on your key-ring.  Then your wish has come true.

You're welcome.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 09:58:54 AM »
The only time my stove key has been out in 52,000 miles is when Blbrd from this forum met me at the dealership and showed me it comes out. My bike has zero miles on it  :D

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 10:01:36 AM »
The only time my stove key has been out in 52,000 miles is when Blbrd from this forum met me at the dealership and showed me it comes out. My bike has zero miles on it :D
You mean you haven't yet driven your new one?!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 10:10:58 AM »
You mean you haven't yet driven your new one?!

No sir, I've used the key in the FOB last 52,000 miles. I've never had a reason to remove the stove key is my point =)