Author Topic: Shops will not switch out tires?  (Read 14341 times)

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
Re: Shops will not switch out tires?
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 08:08:50 PM »
Just had two tires mounted that I bought off the internet, so I shopped.
One Kawa shop 10 miles away quoted 1 hour shop time per wheel if I drove over and $400 for a valve adjustment. That was about $130 for the tires alone. No deal.  I did the valve adjustment and used the savings to buy tires (BT-045s for $197 delivered to my desk).

Second shop (Kawa,Honda, Can-Am, watercraft) didn't want to quote me and reluctantly called me back. They had already screwed up a valve adjustment a year or so ago ($250), refused to wait on me in the parts dept twice, and told me the Connie took two quarts of coolant (wouldn't look it up).  No deal-ever again, I hate it, but why pay big bucks to screw up what  I can screw alone?

Third dealer (30 miles away) charged me $40/wheel while I waited, ate lunch in their cafe, shopped for bikes, gear, etc, and they fixed my fork brace (left too tight from the last time they changed my tires) at no charge. I kept the old front Storm and was out the door for $73. They win. Next time, too. They're Riders Hill in Dahlonega, GA. THey deserve your business.  My $.02.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 07:26:27 AM »
That comes to $465 in dollars, if you pull the wheels and take them there, and buy their tires.... Seems a bit high.
Try living here where gas costs £1.45 per litre ($2.34 per litre, $8.90 per US Gallon) and a gallon of branded semi-synth 10W40 costs $50. Trust me that's a reasonable price. I can get cheaper tyres if I buy online but then I would lose out due to the cost of fitting. With the PR3s they also throw in 3 months free puncture insurance.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2012, 08:25:25 PM »
Talked to a shop here around Houston that will not change a tire that was bought on the internet. He said many tires bought on the internet from discount places have possible defects, and that they (the shop) didn't want the liability if anything were to happen.

I'd be willing to bet that there was an article in a trade magazine, or somehow the dealers are all in this together.  I've heard it several times.  It's total B.S.!  I've heard it so many times it rediculous.  I told the shop manager once "I'm going to try elsewhere, and he said "good luck" and grinned.  It was like he knew that I would have no luck. 

I DID have luck, and NOW have a great dealer just down the street.  I understand the 'cost' and shipping and all that stuff.  Really I do.  I just want to understand how I can get tires on the internet, PAY UPS to send them to me, pay 100 bucks to have them mounted, and IT'S STILL 150-200 dollars cheaper than buying tires at the dealer. 

Why are they so high?  I don't mind shopping locally, but there is a limit.
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline scooter

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »
i try to support my local dealer when i can. because if you buy everything online to save a buck or two then pretty soon your local dealer will not be there.im not going to get ripped off, and purchase some items online but if my dealer is pretty close on price ill let him make a buck.sometimes he comes in cheaper,and he realy wants my buisness.that means alot to me i work hard for my money and like to give it to someone that supports the local economy and cares if im happy or have a problem.

Offline xsv

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2012, 08:44:57 PM »
FWIW....I ordered a rear PR II from Dennis Kirk online.  After placing the order I started to look at my front tire and figured that I might as well replace it prior to a planned 3000 mile trip in about  a month.

I took the new tire and rear wheel to Cycle Gear.  He quoted me $30 to mount and balance it.  While I was BSing with him he priced out a new front PR II (just a little more then DK).  He told me if I ordered the front from them that he would charge me $20 to mount the rear and $20 for the front.

I realize that not everyone has a local Cycle Gear, but for those that do, it might be an option.
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2012, 08:54:34 PM »
I realize that not everyone has a local Cycle Gear, but for those that do, it might be an option.

We have a cycle gear.  And, ironically, it is next door to my dealer.  I have been in there before, but I did not see any "shop" and wasn't aware they even offer tire mounting/balancing/installation.  Are you sure all stores do this?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline xsv

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2012, 09:27:04 PM »
Not sure that they "all" do this.  Our local CG doesn't have a shop either.  I wanted to see the tire that they had removed (I had plugged the tire and wanted to see it from the inside of the tire).  They took me into a small backroom.  I did not see a real shop there.
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline texrider

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2012, 10:56:03 PM »
Try living here where gas costs £1.45 per litre ($2.34 per litre, $8.90 per US Gallon) and a gallon of branded semi-synth 10W40 costs $50. Trust me that's a reasonable price. I can get cheaper tyres if I buy online but then I would lose out due to the cost of fitting. With the PR3s they also throw in 3 months free puncture insurance.

I was stationed near Ipswich during the early 70's, when the exchange rate was worse. Sux
2014 Valkyrie

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2012, 05:10:24 AM »
Which base?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline texrider

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2012, 08:04:06 PM »
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2012, 06:40:32 AM »
Ahh, Rendlesham area. Airfield is still there but run as a business/private airfield.
Woodbridge is the other one nearby, and Martlesham Heath (Now British Telecom R&D).

One thing we will never be short of is old airfields.
There is one about every 10 miles in the south-east of England.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline xsv

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2012, 09:19:19 PM »
We have a cycle gear.  And, ironically, it is next door to my dealer.  I have been in there before, but I did not see any "shop" and wasn't aware they even offer tire mounting/balancing/installation.  Are you sure all stores do this?

When I dropped off my front wheel today I asked.  I was told that ALL Cycle Gear Stores will mount tires...FWIW
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2012, 10:27:32 PM »
So this guy pulls his pick-em-up in my driveway a couple of weeks ago. He's got this Hugh Jass chest freezer in the back and a little Honda generator running it (I guess). Definitely a low budget affair. No store front, one salesman, ...

He knocks on my door, asks me if I want to buy some steaks. I said "no". He says they're the same steaks he sells to Oscar Blues down the road. So I ask "how much?". He says "$4.95 for an 8oz sirloin." I says "I'd like ten, now be off with you."

I know Oscar Blues serves up some of the finest beef in these parts, and some pretty good suds to boot. You can buy their suds in the liquid store much 'mo cheaper than they sell it by the glass. Now I got's me some of their steaks too :)

Last week I headed down for dinner at Oscar's, I brought two of my Oscar Blues steaks for them to toss on the grill for me. I couldn't understand why they said no...

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2012, 07:50:29 AM »
So this guy pulls his pick-em-up in my driveway a couple of weeks ago. He's got this Hugh Jass chest freezer in the back and a little Honda generator running it (I guess). Definitely a low budget affair. No store front, one salesman, ...

He knocks on my door, asks me if I want to buy some steaks. I said "no". He says they're the same steaks he sells to Oscar Blues down the road. So I ask "how much?". He says "$4.95 for an 8oz sirloin." I says "I'd like ten, now be off with you."

I know Oscar Blues serves up some of the finest beef in these parts, and some pretty good suds to boot. You can buy their suds in the liquid store much 'mo cheaper than they sell it by the glass. Now I got's me some of their steaks too :)

Last week I headed down for dinner at Oscar's, I brought two of my Oscar Blues steaks for them to toss on the grill for me. I couldn't understand why they said no...

Rick

So you think the point is the same?  Motorcycle dealer service shops are paid to work on bikes.  If you are willing on paying them to work on a tire you already have why wouldn't they?

Let's ask this question another way.  Are you one of those people who would be okay for a dealer to not work on your bike because you didn't buy it there?

The only reason dealers don't want to install parts not bought there is because they are being dicks about the fact that they don't want to compete against internet businesses.  They have the right to do so, but we have the right to be dicks right back and go elsewhere.  We are willing on paying them a fair labor rate that will make a profit for them, and mounting a name brand tire does not add any liability to them.  In fact, you should know that they frequently buy their tires from the same places we can buy them from ourselves, but they get a dealer discount.

Like I said in an earlier post, they would do a whole lot better using a positive approach and asking you to work with them next time on buying the parts/accessories, and taking great care of you on the service end.  I've actually had more than one dealer take this approach, and because of it they scored big points with me.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2012, 07:55:03 AM »

Rick

Need to come up with a better comparison if you are trying to prove a point. That comparison just does not compute, except in the funny pages.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2012, 08:42:17 AM »
Some dealers don't want to install parts they didn't sell because they want to use a business model from the 1950's.  Same old tired business plan.  They don't want to accept that the world has changed (the Internet and computer technology) drastically since the 1950's.  They still expect you to drive all the way to their store so some under-paid, inexperienced kid can take his time trying to look up the parts you want, while other customers impatiently wait in line.  Then they want you to pay full price (or more) and then they ORDER your part and make you drive BACK to their store a week (or more) later to pick it up.

These motorcycle shops remind me of radio stations that still play 10 songs and 50 commercials an hour while some DJ yammers on incessantly in-between like you can't play Satellite Radio or your MP3 player in your car.  Time marches on and companies that refuse to change are like people trying to sell buggy whips !!

Go to a dealer that is willing to accept reality or buy the equipment and do it yourself -- that is the purpose of this forum -- to share information with each other so we don't have to put up with that type of ancient BS.
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2012, 09:02:29 AM »
So you think the point is the same?  Motorcycle dealer service shops are paid to work on bikes.  If you are willing on paying them to work on a tire you already have why wouldn't they?

Let's ask this question another way.  Are you one of those people who would be okay for a dealer to not work on your bike because you didn't buy it there?

The only reason dealers don't want to install parts not bought there is because they are being dicks about the fact that they don't want to compete against internet businesses.  They have the right to do so, but we have the right to be dicks right back and go elsewhere.  We are willing on paying them a fair labor rate that will make a profit for them, and mounting a name brand tire does not add any liability to them.  In fact, you should know that they frequently buy their tires from the same places we can buy them from ourselves, but they get a dealer discount.

Like I said in an earlier post, they would do a whole lot better using a positive approach and asking you to work with them next time on buying the parts/accessories, and taking great care of you on the service end.  I've actually had more than one dealer take this approach, and because of it they scored big points with me.

I have a couple of questions...

"mounting a name brand tire does not add any liability to them"

You are technically correct, but, why would any business enter into a business arrangement that did add liability?  What it does is add "potential liability"...scratched wheel, lost bolt or nut, etc...and, while these are easily handled at the dealer level, the biggie - a catastrophic loss of air pressure while riding causing bodily injury...now becomes a potential that the shop must have insurance to cover...I mean, think about it...would a doctor, or nurse, inject you with medicine you bought elsewhere? 

So, in most cases, the dealership is faced with this challenge:  Who changes the tires?  And, how much do we pay them?  Does the seasoned mechanic with years of experience get the call because of his ability to do the job right without causing any damage or losing any parts in the process?  With twenty years of experience in the industry, and all his acquired knowledge, should he be pulled away from the technical repair that he is working on, and, I might add, that he is the only one in the shop capable of doing correctly?  And, if he is being paid a reasonable wage (commission), you need to understand that he will not make as much for changing a tire (50% commission for $70 per hour shop rate is more than 50% commission for a $40 tire change)...so, as his earnings go down, he will begin to look elsewhere for work...

Or, should the high school kid who rides a KX125 change the tire on your Concours 14 (or Goldwing!) when he comes in this afternoon?  The shop can afford to pay him $8 or $9 bucks an hour to do the job...right?

"you should know that they frequently buy their tires from the same places we can buy them from ourselves, but they get a dealer discount."

Actually, that is incorrect.  Most dealerships have accounts with distributors that DO NOT SELL TO THE PUBLIC!  Motorcycle Superstore is a competitor to your local franchised shop...they buy from the same places so they can sell to their customers...us!  The two biggest factors, however, are the size of their orders...most franchised shops rarely order $25,000 of tires at a time...while a large internet seller regularly might order $100,000 or more in tires on a single order...which one do you think gets better pricing?

"The only reason dealers don't want to install parts not bought there is because they are being dicks about the fact that they don't want to compete against internet businesses."

Don't forget about the less than fair laws regarding sales tax that penalize your local shops by collecting state and local sales taxes from them...but, not from the internet sellers...most shops just want a FAIR CHANCE at gaining your business...nuff said here?

"Like I said in an earlier post, they would do a whole lot better using a positive approach and asking you to work with them next time on buying the parts/accessories, and taking great care of you on the service end.  I've actually had more than one dealer take this approach, and because of it they scored big points with me."

I AGREE WITH YOU 100% ON THIS!!!!!

But...understand...it is a two way street...and WE have to meet somewhere towards the middle!

Times are changing the business climate.  It isn't a simple answer to a simple question.  And, they aren't new questions, either.  But, it is important to our sport, and our industry, to keep the conversation alive...
'02 C-10

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2012, 10:15:25 AM »
You are technically correct, but, why would any business enter into a business arrangement that did add liability?  What it does is add "potential liability"...scratched wheel, lost bolt or nut, etc...and, while these are easily handled at the dealer level, the biggie - a catastrophic loss of air pressure while riding causing bodily injury...now becomes a potential that the shop must have insurance to cover...I mean, think about it...would a doctor, or nurse, inject you with medicine you bought elsewhere? 

It is not like they have to buy EXTRA insurance to cover mounting tires that were not purchased there.  The insurance cost is built into the labor/shop as overhead.  Shops can perform all kinds of repairs to motor vehicles that require no parts to be purchased and if something goes wrong, can cause damage to the vehicle or occupants.  If necessary, a shop could charge an extra $10 to mount/balance tires that were not purchased there, that would cover any additional liability.  The liability excuse just doesn't float for me, it is just a way they try to strong-arm people into buying from them.  And like I said before, if they are reasonably competitive on tire pricing, most people will be perfectly willing to purchase them from the same place that would mount/balance them.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2012, 10:37:56 AM »

Rick

:rotflmao: :goodpost: :thumbs:

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2012, 11:38:50 AM »
It is not like they have to buy EXTRA insurance to cover mounting tires that were not purchased there.  The insurance cost is built into the labor/shop as overhead.  Shops can perform all kinds of repairs to motor vehicles that require no parts to be purchased and if something goes wrong, can cause damage to the vehicle or occupants.  If necessary, a shop could charge an extra $10 to mount/balance tires that were not purchased there, that would cover any additional liability.  The liability excuse just doesn't float for me, it is just a way they try to strong-arm people into buying from them.  And like I said before, if they are reasonably competitive on tire pricing, most people will be perfectly willing to purchase them from the same place that would mount/balance them.

Agreed...right now I feel like $10 would be an acceptable "upcharge"...if that is the way a shop chose to address it...sure, it would still PO some of us...but, it would be more acceptable than "twice the price if you didn't buy the tires from us"...or, "we just won't do it!"...which is where some shops are still fixed...but, at the end of the day...when the accountant and the business owner see dwindling profitability (zero dollars profit from a tire bought online) in certain areas relative to ever increasing costs (insurance, in this case)...changes will have to be made to remain in business...several independent shops have chosen to close their service departments altogether...they are much wiser than I regarding their P&Ls...but, I doubt their decisions were made because their service departments were making them too much profit with very little overhead...and I do agree with you about "competitive pricing and service"...that is where the challenge lies...where is that middle ground we can agree upon?

While the shop might not (I think it depends on their provider) have to buy additional insurance for carry-in items...since the tire manufacturers have a pretty hefty policy anyway...and the vehicle manufacturers require coverage also...not to mention the sensible business protection aspect...the "added potential risk" would fall into the period of time the tire (and, I'm talking about a worst case scenario here) was not in a "controlled environment"...the secure channel from the manufacturer...to the distributor...to the seller...so, I'm talking about the time between when the seller ships the tire, and when it is presented to the shop for mounting...at this point, nobody can tell what, if anything has happened that might affect the tire...that is the open door for "added potential risk"...and, you won't find anybody clamoring to be first in line to offer protection...the shop will probably have to pay their attorneys to represent them if this becomes an issue...like previously stated...not a sure cost...but a "potential" cost...which a business owner has a right and a responsibility to protect himself against...

Like I said...it's a changing business climate in the motorcycle business...some will change...and some won't.
'02 C-10