Author Topic: What tool do you use to open the final gear case?  (Read 8917 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
What tool do you use to open the final gear case?
« on: October 14, 2011, 09:11:04 AM »
I got my bike used and the plug is already buggered up some. What do you guys use to open it?  Looks like you could use a silver dollar and a crescent wrench.

I doubt many people have the driver filler cap tool: 57001-1454.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Reid

• Arena
Re: What tool do you use to open the final gear case?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 09:23:28 AM »
I used a washer and a pair of vice grips.  Worked fine for me!
2008 C-14 (Silver Belle)
Russell Daylong seat
Cal-Sci windshield
S.Ga. AAD

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
I use a good size washer (thick enough to barely fit in, and fill the groove) and a vice grip.
Works just fine- 
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 09:27:20 AM »
Holy coincidence batman!!!
Reid, I hadn't seen your post and wrote darn near the exact same thing-  weird!
Guess that proves it- a washer and a vice grip is the way to go !!!
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 09:44:21 AM »
Holy coincidence batman!!!
Reid, I hadn't seen your post and wrote darn near the exact same thing-  weird!
Guess that proves it- a washer and a vice grip is the way to go !!!

Good enough for me!  Except I think I will use a crescent wrench and see how it goes.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 11:57:34 AM »
after I tried to open with two quarters and a crescent wrench, I stuck my tire iron in there, and turned with the crescent wrench. 
Will

Offline roadie

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 12:02:13 PM »

wonder if anyone has and how it fairs?  Or if anyone makes a special tool for it.  I just emailed Mike Judnic (guy that makes the stem nut wrench for Concours), if he ever considered making and marketing such a tool.  I don't like my makeshift setup too much.
Will

Offline yardboy

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 03:20:30 PM »
Large washer and pliers here too untill I bought one of Murphs' tamper resistant oil filler caps. Actually bought two one for the crankcase and one for the final drive.

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »
Large washer and pliers here too untill I bought one of Murphs' tamper resistant oil filler caps. Actually bought two one for the crankcase and one for the final drive.
+1 Murphs cap is the ticket, it comes with its own little removal tool!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 05:18:13 PM »
+1 Murphs cap is the ticket, it comes with its own little removal tool!

Yeah, get one from Murph. I used a big ole screw driver to get the stocker off, it's sitting on a shelve now, the stock cap that is.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 05:35:25 PM »
And if you don't use the one from Murph's, don't re-tighten it to within an inch of it's life.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline roadie

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 05:39:42 PM »
damn I didn't know you could use Murph's for the final drive plug as well.  Now I want one!
Will

Offline ridingfar

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 07:47:26 AM »
A) Ride the bike for a few miles before you try and remove it as the plug comes loose MUCH easier when the gear case is warm.

B) Purchase a replacement plug with a hex/socket head and throw that slotted POS as far as you can. Mine is a 27 mm hex head IIRC, and is identical to the one for the oil fill cap.

Next....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
You got a lot of good, useful answers already but I did want to mention that once that over tightened, pesky cap is off, it does not have to be tightened again with any real force. Something like a coin held in your fingers is ample to tighten the cap. All the trouble starts when people use tools that have leverage in the first place. The final drive cap as well as the engine oil cap is interchangeable and the engine oil cap is plastic and tightened with nothing other than fingers and they do not fall off or loosen. This is a classic case of using tools where they really are not even needed (not blaming anyone here, just pointing that out). The caps on both lube fill points contain an O-ring that merely has to be snug, not really tight. Once the O-ring is compressed, and finger tight is more than enough, any additional tightening force is simply used to 'mash' the body of the cap into the body of the housing and wasted effort, although it does make it interesting to remove the cap later if 'extra' torque is used to tighten it.

Just snug them up without any kind of tool and all will be well at the next lube change.

Brian

I got my bike used and the plug is already buggered up some. What do you guys use to open it?  Looks like you could use a silver dollar and a crescent wrench.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 04:50:59 PM »
You got a lot of good, useful answers already but I did want to mention that once that over tightened, pesky cap is off, it does not have to be tightened again with any real force. Something like a coin held in your fingers is ample to tighten the cap. All the trouble starts when people use tools that have leverage in the first place. The final drive cap as well as the engine oil cap is interchangeable and the engine oil cap is plastic and tightened with nothing other than fingers and they do not fall off or loosen. This is a classic case of using tools where they really are not even needed (not blaming anyone here, just pointing that out). The caps on both lube fill points contain an O-ring that merely has to be snug, not really tight. Once the O-ring is compressed, and finger tight is more than enough, any additional tightening force is simply used to 'mash' the body of the cap into the body of the housing and wasted effort, although it does make it interesting to remove the cap later if 'extra' torque is used to tighten it.

Just snug them up without any kind of tool and all will be well at the next lube change.

Brian
+1
The torque on that is rated at 18 inch pounds. Pound and a half. That's like the weight of a beer. But mine has been hamfisted by every boston butt arm that has touched it except me.
2008 C-14

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 08:10:47 PM »
In other words keep yer bike away from the damn monkey shop and you won't need no stink'n tool just some pocket change.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 08:17:40 PM »
Monkey shop case opener

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine