Author Topic: Tires  (Read 888 times)

Offline Jake

Tires
« on: June 03, 2021, 08:07:45 PM »
I have had my 2016 Concours 14 for one year now. The longest trip so far was just over 4600 miles. The route was Albuquerque to Cheyenne, Cheyenne to Devils Tower and one to Sturgis. Next day after buying a patch saying I Rode Mine we moved on East through SD, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Tennessee and to the Tail of the Dragon, then back home. Most of my riding has been freeways as you can see. But, me and my neighbor are going to Alaska in August and I am now thinking about new tires. Other than the freeways we love the twisties in our mountains here as well as other states. Given that, I would love to hear some recommendations for the very best tires I can use to meet the riding needs I just described.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 08:23:14 PM »
Well, there are countless threads on tires, so search is your friend.

Personally, like so many, I am very happy with the Michelin PR4-GT's.  They are all I have used since the crappy OEM's were used up.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 04:45:54 AM »
Another vote for Michelin PR4 or Road5 from me. Pirelli AngelGT2 also get good reviews but I haven't tried them.
Be aware that if yer planning on riding the Dalton or other unsurfaced roads in Alaska, you WILL eat tyres, and probably have several punctures.
I've seen many horror stories on here and other forums about the state of the roads up there.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 05:55:22 AM »
Another vote for Michelin PR4 or Road5 from me. Pirelli AngelGT2 also get good reviews but I haven't tried them.
Be aware that if yer planning on riding the Dalton or other unsurfaced roads in Alaska, you WILL eat tyres, and probably have several punctures.
I've seen many horror stories on here and other forums about the state of the roads up there.

Me too.  One should carry a good plug kit and inflation device.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 03:46:46 PM »
One more vote for Michelin Pilot Road GT 4. The OEM Bridgestone Battlecrap tires were horrible - I dumped 'em after 1,000 miles.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Jake

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 09:38:29 PM »
Me too.  One should carry a good plug kit and inflation device.
I have the puncture kit already as well as the inflation device. As to the roads, I "thought" the AlCan highway from Dalton was paved??

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 05:26:01 AM »
I have the puncture kit already as well as the inflation device. As to the roads, I "thought" the AlCan highway from Dalton was paved??

I can't answer that.  But there is paved and there is "paved" :)

Offline Jake

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 05:49:07 PM »
Got it!!  Let me look at the Iron Butt sites and see if any of those guys know for sure. Thanks to all.  I have the Michelins ordered.

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 07:32:04 AM »
Definitely the PR4 GTs for longer lasting wear, tire siping on wet roads, and excellent maneuverability in the twisties.  Between WA, OR and Canada these are my goto set! 

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 11:27:47 AM »
Unlike the others here I'm not a Michelin fan & I've tried a couple sets each of 2's, 3's & 4's. Avon 3d XM's have by far been the best overall & the Road Smart's probably fall in next.

I have ridden to AK but on my V-Strom & had no issue with having flats, but I was on 50/50 tires. The Alcan is paved, Top of the World, Denali & Campbell Hwy's are gravel even though they're called highways.

All their road construction is done in the summer, going through the construction sites can be pretty snotty especially when following a water truck.
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047