Author Topic: Windshield lowers intermittently  (Read 573 times)

Offline Coomers

Windshield lowers intermittently
« on: April 28, 2021, 06:45:41 AM »
Good day,
I was ridding my 18 Conny yesterday when for no reason the windshield lowered itself. When I hit the switch to move it back up it would go but as soon as I released the switch it would lower itself again to the lowest position. I could sometimes stop the shield from lowering if I pushed the switch to raise the shield a few times.
I restarted the bike a couple times before the gremlin went away and didn't come back for the rest of the ride.
Any ideas on what may be causing this?
Thanks,

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Re: Windshield lowers intermittently
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 08:00:16 AM »
Good day,
I was ridding my 18 Conny yesterday when for no reason the windshield lowered itself. When I hit the switch to move it back up it would go but as soon as I released the switch it would lower itself again to the lowest position. I could sometimes stop the shield from lowering if I pushed the switch to raise the shield a few times.
I restarted the bike a couple times before the gremlin went away and didn't come back for the rest of the ride.
Any ideas on what may be causing this?
Thanks,
I think most obvious cause would be a bad/dirty switch and easiest to rule out.  I don’t think the 2 Gen bikes have an auto-down feature.  Did you recently wash the bike and possibly get some water in the switch housing?  It isn’t too tough to take it apart and inspect.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 03:58:29 PM »
I think most obvious cause would be a bad/dirty switch and easiest to rule out.

That would be my thought too.

I don’t think the 2 Gen bikes have an auto-down feature.

I think you meant to type Gen 1.  Anyway, I think the gen 1 has auto-down on ignition turn off.  But it doesn't have memory, like gen2 does, for auto-up on ignition on (which I have never used).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 12:58:55 AM »
Gen1 has auto nothing. The screen stays where you put it until you choose to move it elsewhere.
Gen2 and later has the auto-down/auto-up/position memory thingy.
As others have said, water in the switch is usually the culprit, especially if you use a jetwash.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Coomers

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 08:11:45 AM »
I guess I'll take a look at the switch, I was kinda hopping it was just one of those electrical gremlins that appear on Conny's occasionally.