Author Topic: Meter Panel holder holes?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Meter Panel holder holes?
« on: March 19, 2021, 05:14:07 PM »
What are these holes for? I am getting ready to imstall my upper fairing after replacing the broken mirror bracket. I can't find anything in the manual or parts fiche to show what goes here.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline jwh20

Re: Meter Panel holder holes?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 06:11:31 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, there are two push-rivets that go through the black trim piece into these.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 08:11:05 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, there are two push-rivets that go through the black trim piece into these.

In my photos, those do not align with where the rivets go, which are further out and closer to the edge.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 09:48:31 PM »
Is this where the top of the black panel connects ?
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 12:45:33 AM »
Is this where the top of the black panel connects ?

That seems more probable
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 07:07:10 AM »
The two holes I am referring to are too close together to fit either the upper cockpit side covers (referred to in manual as Inner Covers) or the winshield mechanism cover. see attached

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 07:18:17 AM »
I wish I had more info.  I actually was looking through the service manual last night and the photos were not of much value (as I am sure many have also discovered).  Too few, too small, no color.  I have never had that area of the bike taken apart, either (thankfully).

One thing I have [finally] learned, is that when taking something complicated apart, I will try to remember to take out my phone and snap photos periodically during the process, for this exact reason.  I am always afraid I won't be able to get it back together correctly.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 07:48:12 AM »
I wish I had more info.  I actually was looking through the service manual last night and the photos were not of much value (as I am sure many have also discovered).  Too few, too small, no color.  I have never had that area of the bike taken apart, either (thankfully).

One thing I have [finally] learned, is that when taking something complicated apart, I will try to remember to take out my phone and snap photos periodically during the process, for this exact reason.  I am always afraid I won't be able to get it back together correctly.
You are SO right abut taking pictures! I usually do but my damn impatience got the best of me. I was anxious to see if my abs welder would work.

There are no manual instructions for removing and replacing the "Rearview Mirror Bracket" and the parts fiche also does not help.  I could not find torque values fort the four allen bolts that hold the mirror pracket to the Upper Fairing Bracket so I used medium thread lock as this connection seems critical.

I have never had this stuff apart before either. When I crashed my first upper fairing in 2019 I just swapped out the entire front end with my 09 with very little trouble.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 04:03:42 PM »
Looks like there could have been some pins on underside of windshield acuator cover that broke off or Kaw decided  they were not necesaary or changed the design. These nubs and the hole spacings match up.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 04:10:47 PM »
Looks like there could have been some pins on underside of windshield acuator cover that broke off or Kaw decided  they were not necesaary or changed the design. These nubs and the hole spacings match up.

I am thinking they must have vibrated clean off or something.  Can't tell from the photo.  I doubt they are unneeded; although probably not critical, you could end up with rattling/shifting.  Perhaps you could glue a short bolt into each?  Or drill it out and find some really big plastic rivets that fit through both holes?

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 02:50:38 AM »
I suspect that the nubs are merely use to locate the piece.
I've checked a few of the same parts on eBay and they all look identical to yours, so nothing has broken off.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 09:43:31 AM »
I suspect that the nubs are merely use to locate the piece.
I've checked a few of the same parts on eBay and they all look identical to yours, so nothing has broken off.
I agree. I think the nubs are locaters for drilling potential holes for plastic rivets and Kawaski decided they were not necessary as the upper edge of the actuator cover fits into a groove on the intrument panel base. Probably the kinda thing that happens when you have different teams designing different components.

Offline PH14

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 11:18:20 AM »
Sorry I'm late to this. Those are the reservoirs used to hold mouse poison, to prevent chewed wires.

You're welcome.  :finger_fing11:

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 11:25:04 AM »
Can you post part number for that poison?I need refills

Offline PH14

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 09:48:31 PM »
Can you post part number for that poison?I need refills

I'll look.  :finger_fing11:

Offline PH14

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2021, 12:10:33 AM »
I am thinking now that the panel is made up of some of the same parts as what is used on the zx14. The holes may line up with something on it.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2021, 01:47:25 AM »
I am thinking now that the panel is made up of some of the same parts as what is used on the zx14. The holes may line up with something on it.
I thought the same, but the ZX14 instruments don't have those holes and the bracket is different.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK