Author Topic: 2014 concours 14 vs newer  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Traxom

2014 concours 14 vs newer
« on: January 16, 2021, 12:26:08 AM »
Hey all. I'm crossing over from the bagger v twin cruisers to the sport touring. My last bike was a 2018 Indian Chieftain. I've found a good deal on a 2014 Concours14 with 5k miles on it for 9500.00. My question is, has there been enough changes to the bike overall from 2014 -present to warrant looking into a newer one? I read some reviews talking about the link braking being tad strong on the front end? Was this corrected in later years? Is the 2014 pretty much the same bike as say a 2016 then compared to 2020. Just trying to make the best decision on which year.

Thanks in advance.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: 2014 concours 14 vs newer
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 06:42:09 AM »
Interestingly I've gone the reverse route and have been an Indian owner since 2017.  Why did you switch from Indian?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 08:12:36 AM »
I your looking at the Red 2014, i think that's the best color they ever made.
That color was only offered in 2014. {Same color as my 2014 so I might be just a little predigest}

The 2014 is not a lot different than the 2016 and newer.
Biggest improvement {in later years} was an improvement in how the ABS brakes operated.
{Correction; had an improvement on how the Linked brakes operate}
I'm not sure what year that change was done...
They take a little getting used to, but work well.

Newer Connies changed the gear ratio's a bit, and the plastic.

Do some price checking.
The current bike market has pushed the prices down a lot. I'm not sure if $9500 is the best you can do.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 07:16:45 AM by connie_rider »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 08:01:06 PM »
I've found a good deal on a 2014 Concours14 with 5k miles on it for 9500.00. My question is, has there been enough changes to the bike overall from 2014 -present to warrant looking into a newer one?

Not really.  They are all fairly minor.

I read some reviews talking about the link braking being tad strong on the front end? Was this corrected in later years?

Yes, but for the vast majority of people, it wasn't/isn't an issue.  The tweak to the linked braking and slightly shorter 1st gear are the only two meaningful changes.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_1400GTR

Is the 2014 pretty much the same bike as say a 2016 then compared to 2020. Just trying to make the best decision on which year.

2008-2009 are identical (gen 1).  2010-2014 are all essentially identical (gen 2).  Although the 2010 could be had without ABS/linking.  The 2015-2021 are all identical (gen 2.1, perhaps).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 08:06:14 PM »
The 2014 is not a lot different than the 2016 and newer.

2015 and newer

Biggest improvement {in later years} was an improvement in how the ABS brakes operated.

ABS is the same, as far as I am aware.  Just the linking braking was tweaked in 2015 (to lower the linking amount).

Newer Connies changed the gear ratio's a bit, and the plastic.

Only 1st gear, in 2015+.  No plastics changes in 2010+ (that I am aware of).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 05:33:45 AM »
ABS is the same, as far as I am aware.  Just the linking braking was tweaked in 2015 (to lower the linking amount)............which is a huge improvement on the earlier ones.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 06:19:25 AM »
(to lower the linking amount)[/i]............which is a huge improvement on the earlier ones.

I agree it is a big improvement, but only to those for whom it matters.  Which, I believe, are very low number of people.  So it has a overall very-low impact as an improvement.  Compared to, say, something like if they automatically dismissed the "screen takeover" when a notification occurs (low fuel, etc).

I bet if we checked the "average" owner, most never even bothered to change the linking from "High" (the default) to "Low", something that has been available from the start.  At least that is a persistent setting.

Besides, if Kawasaki really wanted to improve the system, they would have just changed it from "High/Low" to "Low/Off" instead of "Medium/Lower" (or whatever).  I suspect this would be possible with a simple software patch, although I am not sure (the way it is designed, it might not be possible for an "off" without a mechanical change, it seems surprisingly little information is available about such things).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 08:05:47 AM »
My Indian's brakes aren't linked.  They did that for performance....LOL.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Traxom

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 11:37:31 AM »
Thanks all for the feedback. I changed from Indian as the forward foot positioning on long trips was not comfortable on the tailbone even after investing 500 in a custom seat. After test driving the Connie and FJR I found the controls to place me even more upright and no slouch in sitting position. Loved the Indian and the style though.

I've been battling back and forth over C14 vs FJR and for the price the C14 is winning out. Plus, there are a lot more used C14s for sale in my area than FJR's (Hopefully just upgrading to newer Connie's...hahaha).

Offline Traxom

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 11:40:48 AM »
And correct on the Indian braking. The way they are designed allows for great threshold breaking...only had to try it in practice scenerios luckily.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 12:25:11 PM »
Good luck on your hunt!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 01:18:29 PM »
I've been battling back and forth over C14 vs FJR and for the price the C14 is winning out.

And winning on power, reliability, and warranty, too :)

If you can get a C14 which is still covered by a factory original or extended warranty, it can be extended again by you, which is really nice (up to 9 years total coverage).

Offline FTB530

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 07:55:29 PM »
IMHO $9500 is not a good deal on a 2014, I have seen adds for 2016-2019 in that price range.

Offline PH14

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 11:52:49 AM »
I agree it is a big improvement, but only to those for whom it matters.  Which, I believe, are very low number of people.  So it has a overall very-low impact as an improvement.  Compared to, say, something like if they automatically dismissed the "screen takeover" when a notification occurs (low fuel, etc).

I bet if we checked the "average" owner, most never even bothered to change the linking from "High" (the default) to "Low", something that has been available from the start.  At least that is a persistent setting.

Besides, if Kawasaki really wanted to improve the system, they would have just unlinked the brakes to be like the 2008 and 2009 models. (or whatever).  I suspect this would be possible with a simple software patch, although I am not sure (the way it is designed, it might not be possible for an "off" without a mechanical change, it seems surprisingly little information is available about such things).

fixt it for you.  :finger_fing11:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 05:33:14 PM »
fixt it for you.  :finger_fing11:

Well, no :)

There is value/purpose in brake linking.  But there is also value/purpose in NOT linking.  I think there should have been an option to turn it off (a persistent one).  Then it would be a 100% win-win situation for everyone.  Alas, it was never meant to be.

Offline route66tc

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2021, 04:30:33 AM »
Hey all. I'm crossing over from the bagger v twin cruisers to the sport touring. My last bike was a 2018 Indian Chieftain. I've found a good deal on a 2014 Concours14 with 5k miles on it for 9500.00. My question is, has there been enough changes to the bike overall from 2014 -present to warrant looking into a newer one? I read some reviews talking about the link braking being tad strong on the front end? Was this corrected in later years? Is the 2014 pretty much the same bike as say a 2016 then compared to 2020. Just trying to make the best decision on which year.

Thanks in advance.
Keep looking.  $9500 is way too much.  The only way I would give that much is with major suspension upgrades ie fork cartridges and penske shock.  Real cruise.  Different windshield.  Different seat.  Recent valve adjustment and throttle body sync.  Be patient and you can find some hot deals.  Try using search tempest to search multiple craigslist sites.  HTH

Offline PH14

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2021, 10:14:24 AM »
Well, no :)

There is value/purpose in brake linking.  But there is also value/purpose in NOT linking.  I think there should have been an option to turn it off (a persistent one).  Then it would be a 100% win-win situation for everyone.  Alas, it was never meant to be.

I have never found any value to linking the brakes. I had one bike with linked brakes, and though it wasn't horrible, I still never found the need. It was a 1986 Aspencade though, so it was a different kind of bike. For me, linking does nothing I don't already do, use both brakes. What it cannot do that I do in some cases, is use the front brake only. I see absolutely no benefit from having them linked, except as a crutch for people who have not grasped the concept that there are two levers for the brakes, and I seriously doubt there are any here with that malady.

Offline Traxom

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 08:59:20 PM »
I read there are different modes, or settings, on the brakes of the newer models. If so, did this fix anything to allow less front brake to be applied and does it help?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 10:41:56 PM »
I read there are different modes, or settings, on the brakes of the newer models. If so, did this fix anything to allow less front brake to be applied and does it help?

There are no new modes.  All linked systems have the same two settings- high and low.  The 2015+ C14 had a tweak done to supposedly lower the amount of linking further.  As far as I am aware, nobody knows (outside of Kawasaki engineers) exactly what this tweak was- whether it affects both modes or by how much or under what conditions.  I suspect it is just a small percent decrease across the board with no changes in other considerations, but that is just a guess.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 03:59:23 AM »
I test rode a 2017 (the last year the C14 was available new here) and the linked brakes were better than the 10-15 models, but still intrusive enough that I wouldn't feel comfy if I were on a track day or pushing hard in the twisties. I'm sure they will help someone who is used to using mostly the back brake but I learned to ride on MX bikes and on those the back brake is mostly useless except for settling the bike down or tightening your line mid-corner. If they could be completely disabled, I might upgrade, but otherwise I'm sticking with my 08 model.
I guess you will need to test ride a 10-15 model and a 16-21 model and see if you can tell the difference. If you can't then it doesn't matter.
If you don't like the linked brakes, your only option is the 08-09 models or a different bike.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK