Author Topic: Yes a KIPASS Question  (Read 915 times)

Offline Coomers

Yes a KIPASS Question
« on: December 09, 2020, 08:53:20 AM »
Good Day,

I have an 08 Conny that went through all the usual KIPASS troubles so annually I would spray a some silicone lubricant in all the nooks and cranny's around the ignition. This would almost eliminate the problem until I was on a trip at the furthest possible place from home. I then added the bypass harness thingy and that saved me a number of times.

I have now purchased a 2018 Conny and am curious if the KIPASS issue has been resolved or should I continue with my lube and add the harness thingy?

Thanks,

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Yes a KIPASS Question
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 09:56:54 AM »
The problem has been reduced but not eliminated. Kawasaki changed the return spring on the KiPass activation switch to a stronger one and this has helped quite a bit. I just bought a '16 and will be installing an activation switch on that bike as well, once the schmuck who makes them has some in stock again.  ::)

Full disclaimer: I am the schmuck that makes and sells the bypass so take my entire post with that in mind.  ;D

Brian

Good Day,

I have an 08 Conny that went through all the usual KIPASS troubles so annually I would spray a some silicone lubricant in all the nooks and cranny's around the ignition. This would almost eliminate the problem until I was on a trip at the furthest possible place from home. I then added the bypass harness thingy and that saved me a number of times.

I have now purchased a 2018 Conny and am curious if the KIPASS issue has been resolved or should I continue with my lube and add the harness thingy?

Thanks,
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 10:42:33 AM »
I was curious if the KiPASS issue would be mitigated in newer years. The bypass has definitely saved me Brian, so big thanks! Definitely would transfer over or buy again when I get a newer model which I've been highly considering since I have an 08.

Weird thing though happened beginning of summer is the push ignition worked again. This was after using the bypass last year which started on a road trip. Not complaining but good to have the bypass as a backup if this acts up again. Just so weird...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 03:30:02 PM »

As Brian said, it is improved (it has a stronger spring), but the design is still the same, so it is subject to the same issue.  It might never happen, or not for more years.

I suggest you DO NOT spray stuff in there unless actually necessary, because that will attract grime and also build up over time and probably make the problem appear or appear sooner when it wouldn't have otherwise.

I have a 2011, and it has only stuck on me once, ever and I just had to press on it hard and release a few times and it returned to normal and has been OK for over another year.  I never sprayed anything into it.

It shouldn't hurt to install the bypass, regardless.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 07:02:47 AM »
Good Day,

Thanks,

Anyone new reading the above would think that issues with KIPASS are a common thing, especially with older model years.

I have a 2008, bought new in 2009. I've had zero problems with KIPASS, ZERO.

One might ask what I do as far as preventative maintenance on the system to keep it trouble free? What do I spray into the ignition to keep the system working?

Water and only water. I wash the bike a couple of times a year and water, soapy water while washing and then rinse water, that's it. I then use my leaf blower to dry the bike, including the ignition assembly.

I believe that years ago Brian posted a clip/pic of him doing the same thing, spraying water into the ignition, temping fate I know.   

YMMV
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 10:39:08 AM »
Yeah, and anyone reading the posts from way back, when the bike was relatively new, would think KiPass was the cause of Covid 19..... and that was one of its better products. Thankfully, the whole KiPass issue has died down so far it is not even providing me with any amusement anymore. Of course, as you say, it never was much of a problem beyond the fact that it was new and generated all the usual 'I hate it' thoughts because it was new.

KiPass itself has never failed that I am aware of. It is a Mitsubishi system and so has been used in many, many more vehicles than just the C-14 and so is well proven.

The particular application in the C-14 did generate a bit of a weak spot though, and that was due to a poor design and poor execution; that flaw is the activation switch itself which is what we activate when we press down on the main key. Occasionally, and very occasionally, one will stick down and end up disabling the bike. This is because it was not designed in a fail- safe manner, which would be with a direct, mechanical coupling with the moving part of the ignition switch. If that were the case, and the switch stuck then first of all the owner would notice it and second, and much more importantly, the owner could use additional force to lift the switch back into the 'UP' position. But that task was left up to a spring and when the switch sticks, the spring cannot generate enough force to overcome it and the system is defeated. Kawasaki did address this problem by installing a stronger spring and that absolutely did reduce the number of incidents.... but it did not eliminate them. Still, it was originally pretty rare and has become even more so.

Again, full transparency: I manufacturer and sell an KiPass activation switch bypass. And I still suggest that anyone concerned about this install one not because it is likely to fail in the first place but because the bypass absolutely guarantees that it cannot and will not strand an owner of a C-14. I have one on my original '08 and will have on on my new (new to me) '16 for that exact reason- so I cannot be stranded by a sticking activation switch. And I posted how to install a home- made bypass a long time ago: it takes nothing beyond installing a fuse holder and fuse into a circuit on the bike. In fact the only reason I even bother to offer the bypass as a product is because it seems a lot of people are not comfortable making changes to the wiring on the bike.

But all the way back to Conrad's point, I completely agree in that it is not much of an issue and never was. And yes, I have photos of me spraying a garden hose into the ignition without the key in place.... and everyone lived and KiPass still worked. Then there was the series of drinks I submerged the fob into: water, soda, wine and finally a fairly lousy Scotch and water. I even had the fob actually transmit and work to start the bike while submerged in soda- pretty impressive. But that was way back in the olden' days of the KiPass wars, long before the more recent tuna wars that went on on the other forum (I think it was actually tuner but I am from New England where 'R's are not used much). Good times.

Anyone new reading the above would think that issues with KIPASS are a common thing, especially with older model years.

One might ask what I do as far as preventative maintenance on the system to keep it trouble free? What do I spray into the ignition to keep the system working?

Water and only water. I wash the bike a couple of times a year and water, soapy water while washing and then rinse water, that's it. I then use my leaf blower to dry the bike, including the ignition assembly.

I believe that years ago Brian posted a clip/pic of him doing the same thing, spraying water into the ignition, temping fate I know.   

YMMV
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 04:41:50 PM »

YMMV

I agree completely, I thought the whole kipass thing was pretty random & widespread. Bought my 08 the end of 07, 13 years & 241, XXX miles I've had zero issues. I don't consider it to be much of a problem, but when somebody does have a problem you just hear more about it. .
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 05:28:57 AM »
I agree completely, I thought the whole kipass thing was pretty random & widespread. Bought my 08 the end of 07, 13 years & 241, XXX miles I've had zero issues.

I have a feeling most of the variation is due to (and in this order):

1) Environment- how it is stored, humidity, rain, dust, salt, pollution, temp, washing, etc.
2) Production tolerance- how exact and perfect is each part (spring, switch, body).
3) How it is used- how often it has been pressed, how hard, when/where, etc.

I doubt we will ever narrow it down, since there are so many possible factors and not enough data.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Coomers

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 08:50:58 PM »
I agree completely, I thought the whole kipass thing was pretty random & widespread. Bought my 08 the end of 07, 13 years & 241, XXX miles I've had zero issues. I don't consider it to be much of a problem, but when somebody does have a problem you just hear more about it. .

241,000 miles!!! Now I feel bad upgrading mine with only 55,000.

Thanks again guys,