Author Topic: Iron Butt on C14 - Lessons Learned  (Read 11086 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Iron Butt on C14 - Lessons Learned
« on: July 03, 2011, 09:20:05 PM »
Thought I'd share some "lessons learned" about the C14 on my recent Iron Butt 1K certification run (although I did 1100 miles straight).  PLEASE feel free to add tips or your lessons leraned as well. Also I put pics in the rides section along with a serious thread. But this thread topic is not about a ride or trip please keep it on "Iron Butt C14"

Tip #1) The stock seat is very manageable.  There may be better seats, but the stocker allowed me to do 1100 miles then day after another 400 with zero issues.

Tip #2) KiPass works as well on an Iron Butt ride as it does on all other rides.

Tip #3) The waitress at Cracker Barrel in Tupelo, MS with raise an eyebrow at you if you say you rode all the way from Tampa, FL straight. However, she will make it very clear she doesn't believe your going all the way to the other side of Arkansas.

Tip #4) For my bike, never worry about panniers taking flight. This is after hitting some major bad backroads with the bike loaded to the hilt.  Of course I would never exceed speed limits, but a couple of instances I did wave at the birds as my Connie was landing. Someone needs to suggest to the Alabama government to fix those roads and RR crossings.

Tip #5) Its HOT in AR/OK!!!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Re: Iron Butt on C14 - Lessons Learned
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 09:57:06 PM »
Tip #3) The waitress at Cracker Barrel in Tupelo, MS with raise an eyebrow at you if you say you rode all the way from Tampa, FL straight. However, she will make it very clear she doesn't believe your going all the way to the other side of Arkansas.

:rotflmao: I know the feeling!

A local buddy and I arrive at a gas station a minute apart, we strike up a conversation:

"Say, aren't you so and so?"
"Yes, sure am."
"I'm Rick, you heading to the so and so Iron Butt rally in ?? (make sure it's at least 500 miles away. Mentioning  "Iron Butt" seems to pique the ears of some too.)
"Sure am, looks like I'll get there about time for the banquet tonight. You?"
Yada yada yada...

People get back in their cars right quick, lock the doors and zoom off w/ the gas cap door still open...

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline saddletramp

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 10:04:43 PM »
Congratulations on the ride!  That's a lot of riding.

I have a question though...what are those two circular symbols in the lower right side of you display?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 10:14:40 PM »
:rotflmao: I know the feeling!

A local buddy and I arrive at a gas station a minute apart, we strike up a conversation:

"Say, aren't you so and so?"
"Yes, sure am."
"I'm Rick, you heading to the so and so Iron Butt rally in ?? (make sure it's at least 500 miles away. Mentioning  "Iron Butt" seems to pique the ears of some too.)
"Sure am, looks like I'll get there about time for the banquet tonight. You?"
Yada yada yada...

People get back in their cars right quick, lock the doors and zoom off w/ the gas cap door still open...

Rick

Congratulations on the ride!  That's a lot of riding.

I have a question though...what are those two circular symbols in the lower right side of you display?

Thank you sir, and those circles show the brakes are linked up. Usually there is a "ECO" on my display but I had just gassed it up for the night and rode to hotel across the street to crash.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 10:26:41 PM »
If you don't know the circles, you didn't have a NEW C14!  BTW, I was wondering about the circles.

Iron Butt...the best tip for me to anyone is to do it yourself!  Don't do it with anyone!  You ask why...because sometime you will have to:

1) go faster than your partner
2) go slower than your partner
3) you need to go bathroom
4) you just need a break when your partner fly at light speed infront of you...
5) your partner need gas and you don't

There are more reasons I like to do it myself.  B@t#h, I'll do what I want!
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 10:28:08 PM »
If you don't know the circles, you didn't have a NEW C14!  BTW, I was wondering about the circles.

Iron Butt...the best tip for me to anyone is to do it yourself!  Don't do it with anyone!   You ask why...because sometime you will have to:

VERY GOOD ADVICE, glad I did it by myself too

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 10:33:51 PM »
I am proud of you.  Especially when you do the Bun Bunner Gold (1500 miles in 24hrs), make sure you do it yourself...

...I know for a fact someone here or Iron Butt riders going to disagree with me....guess what...DILLIGAF!   :o
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 10:57:51 PM »

Iron Butt...the best tip for me to anyone is to do it yourself!  Don't do it with anyone!  You ask why...because sometime you will have to:

:goodpost:     Agreed!!

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 11:09:02 PM »
One exception, I will ride with someone if they have a BLACK bike...he is got to be COOL.
 8)
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 11:10:15 PM »
One exception, I will ride with someone if they have a BLACK bike...he is got to be COOL.
 8)

:thumbs: 8)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 11:38:04 PM »
 8) 

Cool?  Hmm.  He would actually just be HOT (as in temperature) ;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline accbiker

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 06:41:13 AM »
Congrats on the ride and welcome to the club (be sure to get it documented).  I have done several on my 2010 and found that the low Sargent Seat was much more comfortable than the stock, but you are right, the stock is manageable.

I love the look on the faces of people that you meet along the way when you tell them what you are doing during these rides.  Sometimes, it is priceless.

-David
Athens, GA

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 07:42:21 AM »

Nice job Steve!    :thumbs:

Just wondering if the waitress you mentioned above had real eyebrows or where they those painted/drawn on things?

:chugbeer:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 07:59:14 AM »
Great tips. I have been seriously considering it myself lately.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 08:22:06 AM »
Congratulations on your ride. If I would do something like that I would not go it alone. But thats just me. What if something was to happen to you, who would be there to call for help, or help you if you broke down?  I have 2 friends that I have rode with for about 25 years, we know each others moves before we do them.  But some people like to ride alone as you do.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 08:37:58 AM »
Carrying a SPOT helps.  I carried one with me out to Reno and back.  It's a little pricey but your loved ones can follow you online and you can press a button for 911 help or mechanical services.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 08:59:49 AM »
Congrats and welcome!
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline Glenn

• 2011 Concours14, 1984 KZ1100R, 2008 KLR685
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 09:50:32 AM »
I have a black C14, I'm from Canada, so I'm always cool, must be something to do with the permafrost! :D

8)
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 09:58:48 AM »
Congratulations on your ride. If I would do something like that I would not go it alone. But thats just me. What if something was to happen to you, who would be there to call for help, or help you if you broke down?  I have 2 friends that I have rode with for about 25 years, we know each others moves before we do them.  But some people like to ride alone as you do.

Most of my friends in FL do track days and wouldn't consider riding a bike any distance, I was on my own!  Glad I did it that way too, always folks around to help when broke down, and Kawi has a better dealer/warranty netowrk than Beemer!

But in all seriousness, I was not alone.  KIPASS was with me and protected me and the bike the whole way

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 10:37:04 AM »
Since we are talking about Iron Butt, who has done the 'Border-to-Border' ride?  If so, any advise on this particular ride?
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville