Author Topic: What size are rear caliper mounting bolts?  (Read 2824 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

What size are rear caliper mounting bolts?
« on: April 08, 2016, 09:46:35 PM »
I had a rear tire replaced on a road trip in Arkansas late last year by a shop down there. The roads were just too good and we were riding really hard and having too much fun.  I got a crappy tire in the size that I needed for $116 total. Yes, they removed the rear wheel from the bike, mounted and balanced a new Shinko supersport tire on it and put it back on for $116.  It wasn't my first choice of tire but it was round and black and wasn't showing cords like the one that was on there. 

I just got done with that tire and went to mount the wheel with fresh Pirelli Angel GT and when I went to mount the caliper, the front caliper bolt threaded way easy and immediately stripped, despite very little force applied by me.   I suspect they mounted the bolt with an impact, but here I am.  So now I need to mount a helicoil and have no clue what size that bolt is.  Service manual wasn't much help.  I can take it to the hardware store and ask, but I was hoping someone else would know, so I could mount my first helicoil ever, woo hoo!

Thanks

2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline jwh20

Re: What size are rear caliper mounting bolts?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 04:30:28 AM »
Not clear whether it's front or back since you say "rear" first then you say "front".  But the front is:

M10x60 (x2)

the rear is:

M8x16 (also x2)

Offline jwh20

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 04:35:01 AM »
It might be less expensive in the long run to just get a replacement like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B303-2010-11-14-Kawasaki-Concours-ZG1400-CAF-Rear-Brake-Caliper-Pads-Bracket-OEM-/271976881071?fits=Make%3AKawasaki%7CModel%3AConcours+14&hash=item3f5315dbaf:g:w54AAOSwTapV7Ejh&vxp=mtr

I've not had good results with Heli-coils in the past especially in aluminum.  There is also the possibility to drill out the 8mm hole and re-thread it in 10mm and use a larger bolt provided you don't also have to drill out the caliper mounting holes.  Not sure I'd do that.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 06:17:10 AM »
^^^^good call...buy the replacement.
You'll have that much in drill bit, tap and heli-coil kit.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 06:57:58 AM »
Not clear whether it's front or back since you say "rear" first then you say "front".  But the front is:

M10x60 (x2)

the rear is:

M8x16 (also x2)

The front bolt in the rear brake caliper mounting bracket.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 08:36:10 AM »
I bought the replacement part Kama great idea, thank you.