Author Topic: What warranty Issues have you had  (Read 6113 times)

Offline chap

What warranty Issues have you had
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »
I am just facing up to the fact that my beloved 2010 Concours may get totalled due to hitting a deer last month. I am trying to figure out options. Whether to buy back and fix the bike. (It is mostly Plastic and all the cowling brackets etc) or let it go and look at a replacement.

This leads me to the question in the title. As I live in Canada the prices of the connie is $19,000 +tax etc, but the US prices are way cheaper. Particularly when I see 2012 for $12,600 (In the Arabian Red, which I love). If I buy in the US and bring it back to Canada the warranty will not be covered here. With my 2010 I had zero warranty issues. The question is was I lucky, or generally are there no real, costly issues.

Any comments welcome
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline Spanky

Re: What warranty Issues have you had
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 10:54:13 AM »
Other than the rear brake recall, no issues at all in almost 50,000 miles on my 09. They were not all easy miles either. My riding buddy likes dirt roads and the Connie has done some miles on them. Considering the price difference between Canada and the US, that would cover alot of repairs.

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 10:57:49 AM »
Why wouldn't it be covered in Canada?
or
Are you near enough to the US that you could take it back there for warranty work?

Offline chap

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 11:12:38 AM »
Why wouldn't it be covered in Canada?
or
Are you near enough to the US that you could take it back there for warranty work?

It's not covered in Canada because it is Kawasaki Canada here. You have Kawasaki USA they are 2 different companies.

You are right that I could make a trip down to the US and have a shop there do the work. But that is a major effort to travel a full day down and have the work done, plus possibly having the bike on my trailer and having to explain everything to the boarder crossing officers.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue

Offline mkurland

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »
I am just facing up to the fact that my beloved 2010 Concours may get totalled due to hitting a deer last month. I am trying to figure out options. Whether to buy back and fix the bike. (It is mostly Plastic and all the cowling brackets etc) or let it go and look at a replacement.

This leads me to the question in the title. As I live in Canada the prices of the connie is $19,000 +tax etc, but the US prices are way cheaper. Particularly when I see 2012 for $12,600 (In the Arabian Red, which I love). If I buy in the US and bring it back to Canada the warranty will not be covered here. With my 2010 I had zero warranty issues. The question is was I lucky, or generally are there no real, costly issues.

Any comments welcome

I had a similar experience when I purchased an SV650S in Canada in 1999, then imported it to the US.  While the move saved a lot of money (at the time I think the Canadian dollar was worth .7 US) I basically forfeited the warranty for the reasons you described -- the warranty was from Suzuki Canada and I could not get it serviced under warranty in the States.  One year later I totaled the bike after hitting a deer, since the cost of replacing the plastic was especially high since the S model was unavailable in the US.

However, my comprehensive insurance policy covered "acts of God" and I got a new bike out of the deal.  I guess the standard policies in Canada do not do the same.

As far as warranty experiences go you should look through this and the COG site.  I would not say that warranty issues are typical, but there certainly is experience with them across the rider base.  Do you live anywhere near the US border that would allow you to service the bike at a US dealer?  I thought that 95% of the population up there lives within 2 hours of the border, unless you are in Alberta.

Offline chap

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 11:50:49 AM »
As far as taking it back to the states for repair. It is about 650km one way to the nearest kawasaki dealer in the US. That is basically a full day. Plus when it is in for repair it could be several days, so the cost and lost wages would have to be figured in. I would suspect I would only do that if there was a major engine meltdown. Most stuff I would just fix myself.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 11:53:31 AM »
It's not covered in Canada because it is Kawasaki Canada here. You have Kawasaki USA they are 2 different companies.

You are right that I could make a trip down to the US and have a shop there do the work. But that is a major effort to travel a full day down and have the work done, plus possibly having the bike on my trailer and having to explain everything to the boarder crossing officers.

I myself would take the gamble of saving ~$6,400 with only the possibility of ever having to make a warranty work trip(s).

Offline chap

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 12:10:17 PM »
I myself would take the gamble of saving ~$6,400 with only the possibility of ever having to make a warranty work trip(s).

I am definately thinking on those lines. Infact my 2010 was a US bike but was used when I got it so only paid $10,000 (one year old, with 1000mi on it), so that was less of a risk.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »
Over on the other site there was a Canadian owner who bought a US bike and took it home. He had some kind of warranty issue and his home town dealer contacted Kawasaki USA and it turned out that they covered the repair. I took a quick look 'over there' but I couldn't find the thread.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 03:07:04 PM »
Took by 2011 back the week after I got it because it was dripping antifreeze and had an issue with the turn signal button.  They tightened a clamp and adjust the switch.

Zero issues since (knock on wood).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline chap

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 03:18:28 PM »
Over on the other site there was a Canadian owner who bought a US bike and took it home. He had some kind of warranty issue and his home town dealer contacted Kawasaki USA and it turned out that they covered the repair. I took a quick look 'over there' but I couldn't find the thread.

That would be very interesting to find out. As far as I know the only way a US bike can get warranty in Canada is if the owner is visiting and the bike is registered in the states. Maybe the dealer knew the owner and somehow got it covered.

Having said that my dealer managed to get the brake recall covered by Kawasaki USA.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 04:48:07 PM »
If you are looking at 2012 or newer its a bit early to predict the big buck items of ktrak and linked brakes, both big bux to fix.
With that in mind, kaw sorted all the other issues out, but still have a problem with the cam sensor oring.... but that's an easy fix that will only cost $1 for the rings if I sell them to you...
Tough call... personally I'll be keeping my 08 forever, I have no desire for traction control, nor linked brakes...besides, in 20 more years, when we hold the Silverdammit Rally II, I'll still have one.... ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline pistole

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 04:53:44 PM »
2012 bike : leaking cam cover , seized rear shock preload adjuster & rear brake pedal recall.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 07:11:41 PM »
If you are looking at 2012 or newer its a bit early to predict the big buck items of ktrak and linked brakes, both big bux to fix.

2010/11/12/13/14 are all identical.  I think there is enough data at this point to say high ticket failures on the 2nd gen C14 are very rare.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RickC14

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 11:50:37 PM »
Had the water pump fixed twice and it still occasionally leaks a little. Kawasaki wants me to put some miles on it to see if it seals up on its own.  ::)

Offline Locksmith

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 07:55:08 AM »
My glove box latch (2012) was sticky and a warranty repair. My rear tire pressure sensor is now reporting a low battery. I'll get that replaced under warranty when I buy new tires (at 20.500km now!).

Offline chap

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 07:56:41 AM »
2010/11/12/13/14 are all identical.  I think there is enough data at this point to say high ticket failures on the 2nd gen C14 are very rare.

I agree maxtog. Seems like there are few to no complaints that would add up to $$$. Still waiting for my insurance to decide what they are doing with my 2010. I love the bike. The best outcome would be to fix it. But at least I know that if I need to move to a different bike, buying in the US is a  rseal option
2010 Concours ABS = Blue

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 09:24:33 AM »
44,000 miles and one month out of warranty my 2010 water pump began puking coolant on the garage floor.  I put a new one on myself for about $175.  Other than that it just keeps purring along.

Offline Canada44

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 09:14:13 PM »
My 2010 warranty expired about 2 weeks ago. I had some minor warranty issues. I had both the front and rear TPMS replaced 1 once.  The cost to extend my warranty for 2 years was $950 plus 12% tax. I decided against it. Too bad we don't qualify for the US extended warranty many of you purchased.  >:(
2010 ABS C14

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 07:36:43 AM »
I agree maxtog. Seems like there are few to no complaints that would add up to $$$. Still waiting for my insurance to decide what they are doing with my 2010. I love the bike. The best outcome would be to fix it. But at least I know that if I need to move to a different bike, buying in the US is a  rseal option

How much additional Canadian fees will you pay if you buy in US?
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200