Author Topic: This bike is TOP HEAVY!  (Read 20750 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: This bike is TOP HEAVY!
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 02:36:11 PM »
I always found slow speed riding on a cop bike a lot easier than on my own... Mainly due to the fact that if I dropped it I would not have to pay the bill  ;D

Here we use FJR 1300's.. I think they feel smaller than my C14

About 100 smaller?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 03:17:03 PM »
I always found slow speed riding on a cop bike a lot easier than on my own... Mainly due to the fact that if I dropped it I would not have to pay the bill  ;D

I think a lot of us would feel more adventurous under those circumstances.

I admit that my fears have been lowered SLIGHTLY with the addition of my cages (and the fact that I've already dropped her once)... but not enough to go find a parking lot and try these maneuvers (tho, I'd like to be that skilled).
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Aegir

• 2012 - Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2013, 04:07:40 PM »

I think a lot of us would feel more adventurous under those circumstances.

I admit that my fears have been lowered SLIGHTLY with the addition of my cages (and the fact that I've already dropped her once)... but not enough to go find a parking lot and try these maneuvers (tho, I'd like to be that skilled).

I've watched with amazement those police rodeos and have always wanted to be that skilled.  They make it look so easy when watching; but so damn hard when I attempt.

I just need to bite the bullet and wrap-up my cages with pipe insulation, bubble-wrap the mirrors, get out the cones and go practice those techniques.  I'm not gonna get any better watching vids.   :P

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2013, 04:11:13 PM »

+1 exactly how I feel.  There is a HUGE weight (no pun intended) off my shoulders having the cages, and especially since I fell over once with them on and they proved they work.  Yet I am still super-careful and paranoid.  I almost lost her again backing out of my friend's driveway, there was an invisible slippery spot.  When I put my foot down it didn't stay and had I been leaned slightly more, there would be NO stopping it from going down because, with short legs, I simply have very little leverage.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2013, 08:20:41 PM »
I feel good with my ProjektD sliders, too.  They have proved themselves twice already.

Knowing the bike can do what this guy makes it do also adds confidence.

We do a "skills ride" a few times a year with my club, and a couple of guys take a lot of time to setup cones in a course they call the Lion's Den.  It's pretty easy compared to what this guy does in the video here, but it's challenging enough for us.  I haven't yet done it on my Connie, but I have on my Royal Star which is much heavier and larger, and truly top-heavy.  I started out learning some basics from my friend on the Ft. Lauderdale Harley Drill Team.  They are always #1 or 2 in national competitions.  He taught me how to do full-lock turns, and its really about technique and commitment.  When I follow directions and push away the fear of dropping, it's like "butta" turning my big-ass bike like that.  It's not hard, but it's something that needs to be learned and practiced.  I also spent time watching and performing some of the exercises from Ride Like A Pro...

So I try to keep up the skills, and its something we all should do just to "get better"...so I'm gonna do some circles in the parking lot tomorrow...on the Concours  :)   
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture

Offline Bryn

• Leicestershire.... in the heart of England
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2013, 01:03:44 AM »
Pics?

Me on the left...  this was before a military homecoming parade in Leicester 

Last one...I'm on the left as you look at it..... at military funeral procession.... nothing like the video's of the C14 cops... but lots of slow riding at walking pace...and no wobbling  :-\

Full lock U turns not a problem... but what they are doing in the video's... now that's skilful.... I'd end up on my butt   ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2013, 05:34:02 AM »
Me on the left...  this was before a military homecoming parade in Leicester 

That is just one of the funkiest paint jobs I have ever seen.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cougr67

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2013, 03:21:40 PM »
I feel good with my ProjektD sliders, too.  They have proved themselves twice already.

Just looked up the ProjektD sliders - interesting product. Not nearly as big and bulky as the Canyon Cages.
How do the pegs sticking out thru the cowl vents attach? Are they more secure than they look?

Some picture would be great :)
2012 C14 - Black -

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2013, 03:59:16 PM »
Just looked up the ProjektD sliders - interesting product. Not nearly as big and bulky as the Canyon Cages.   How do the pegs sticking out thru the cowl vents attach? Are they more secure than they look?

Sliders will not protect the pegs, the rear bags, the mirrors, or other certain  parts.  They are better than nothing, but with fall/tipover protection, the "not nearly as big and bulky" equates to "not nearly as effective".

The only really non-big/bulky solution are the "Top Blocks", but they are expensive, hard to obtain, requiring drilling the fairings, and still do not offer the level protection of the Canyon Cages front/rear combo.

Offline Cougr67

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2013, 05:05:33 PM »
I have looked at the top blocks and may go that route. I know people like their canyon cages but to me they are too darn ugly. Personal preference thing I guess. "Better than nothing" may be "good enough" in my case.
2012 C14 - Black -

Offline Conrad

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2013, 05:11:38 AM »
I have looked at the top blocks and may go that route. I know people like their canyon cages but to me they are too darn ugly. Personal preference thing I guess. "Better than nothing" may be "good enough" in my case.

The CCs aren't as ugly 'in person' as they are in pics but they are still ugly. That said, the piece of mind of being able to drop your bike and have no damage is well worth having to deal with a lil bit of ugliness.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2013, 05:20:47 AM »
The CCs aren't as ugly 'in person' as they are in pics but they are still ugly. That said, the piece of mind of being able to drop your bike and have no damage is well worth having to deal with a lil bit of ugliness.
That statement does not translate well.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2013, 05:39:08 AM »
There goes my breakfast.    :pukeface:

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2013, 01:20:48 PM »
There goes my breakfast.    :pukeface:

Just don't do that in front of her or she will eat it...

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2013, 02:39:34 PM »
That statement does not translate well.

Is that a tat of a whale on the 2nd roll?  :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2013, 07:25:35 PM »
Bryn... :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2013, 09:28:47 PM »
At 6300 miles this bike suspension seems like it is just starting to brake-in or loosen up.  I know this is so because I had to run to the store today and I nixed the boots an just wore tennis shoes. This particular pair have pretty thin sole and I notice I can flat foot the bike not problem we as before no so much.  Suspension adjustment would make a big difference two up.  As far as handling goes my stock handlebars work much better than with any combo of risers or wedges I have tried.  I second the thoughts on the stock seat. Flatter and firmer seats always give more feedback.
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2013, 06:32:12 AM »
Is that a tat of a whale on the 2nd roll?  :o

I'm not gonna fall for your trickery J and enlarge that pic to see the tat, I don't care what it is!     :o

Offline texrider

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2013, 06:50:36 AM »
I'd say that's quite a 'post' to be able to support that kind of load... :o
2014 Valkyrie

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2013, 06:43:53 PM »
Just looked up the ProjektD sliders - interesting product. Not nearly as big and bulky as the Canyon Cages.
How do the pegs sticking out thru the cowl vents attach? Are they more secure than they look?

Some picture would be great :)

I like them and came across a second set after I had a little incident last month...check the "For Sale" section.  I have them on my bike, and I can tell you by experience that they work.  :)
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture