Author Topic: What the hell is leaking from my new bike?  (Read 12450 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: What the hell is leaking from my new bike?
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 01:49:10 PM »
My fluid is reddish because she (my 2012) is SPECIAL.  And I don't mean short school bus special, unless we're talking about linked brakes.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »
Judging by your behavior as a result of this 'incident', I now suspect it is some type of KiPass failure. KiPass normally does not leak but given you seeing level of terror, it certainly sounds like the behavior of KiPass- I bet KiPass is manufacturing a special fluid, in a color not found on any motorcycle, simply to distract you long enough to have the activation switch fail and strand you a long way from home. This is the M.O. of KiPass and it usually works. Are you sure you are invoking the KiPass incantation correctly- pronunciation counts there ya’ know.

But on a serious note, brake fluid is not remotely red or at least not any that I have ever seen. It is clear when new and turns darker and darker until it is finally black. No motor oil I have ever seen is remotely red either other than my own and that is probably the result of mixing it with that horrifically red cam break in lube (to raise the phosphorous level of the motor oil.... and to turn it red of course). Even 'red' anti- freeze is really reddish- brown and looks nothing like the color you show in your photo.

I find it interesting that you mention that this is something that someone playing a prank would do. Do you know any pranksters like that? You said the bike was at a high school- those places are full of pranksters not to mention all the students. Maybe this is just a kid's joke (inspired by the evilness that is KiPass of course)?

Any chance the spot was there before you parked the bike, is transmission fluid out of a car, and you are pranking yourself with terror?

Brian

Look at your brake/clutch fluid reservoir, they are vaguely reddish. I know, I stared at their levels all the way home.

The consistency was that "not slimey like oil" yet a bit tacky feeling of brake fluid. Is there a brake component (ABS, linked brakes etc) near there?  I have heard of (but don't suspect in this instance) 'friends' pouring fluid under a bike repeatedly to drive a rider crazy.  I was a long way from home watching a high school play my daughter was directing.

I parked it on the side stand in the garage, I will check it when I get home.  I don't recall ever seeing it before.  I changed the oil a while back (900 miles ago) and looked for leaks under it after the oil change like I always do. I wasn't in clothes where I could climb under it, I will be tonight though!!

Thanks, guys!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 02:03:58 PM »
We've always thought of you as special Conrad.

Brian

<snip horrible self- portrait>
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 02:07:01 PM »
I've put antifreeze under a friend's bike in my garage.  Nearly had to call an ambulance for me I laughed so hard.  Ahh, good times.  Remind yourselves never to include me on group ride.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »
We've always thought of you as special Conrad.

Brian

It's nice when we all can agree on something.  :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »
Any chance the spot was there before you parked the bike, is transmission fluid out of a car, and you are pranking yourself with terror?
My son spotted it during intemission of my daughter's high school play, so I moved the bike and came back when the play was over.   It had dripped again. 

I am sure it will wash off, because the ride to the Austin TX MotoGP is looking like it will be a frog strangler. Should be ok once we get down there. Until I said that, of course.  8 guys in my group total attendance, one comes late and another comes from Phoenix. We had to decide to take the whole day Wednesday instead of the original plan for just taking off the afternoon to account for the storms, some may be "locally heavy", argggh.  Just deciding on an initial meet spot and whether to have breakfast and what the meetup time is was a challenge.  But on the other hand, I will have a lot of fun showing them the sights down there and the roads are excellent in Hill Country (Lake Loop in Austin, 3 Sisters, Luckenback, 6th Street downtown, woo hoo!)

2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Son of Pappy

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 03:45:24 PM »
2 things. 

First, make sure you place a pan of some sort to catch the fluid.  My bet is gas.

Second, stop considering car tires 8)

Third ( I cant count)  Install a hoof from the animal of your choice, it will give you added insurance against nuts who strap a filled plastic container full of volatile fluid and then poke a hole in their tank to drain said fluid, allowing an even greater chance of becoming dehydrated mere hours from home ;D  Come to think of it, that container was red???????

Offline JerBear

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 04:21:45 PM »
Did you recently install a K&N filter or clean/re-oil an old one?  If so that may be excess oil from the Air filter but I have no idea how it would get to that part of the bike.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline KawiG

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 04:52:54 PM »
Animal goo... ???
Live Fast and Ride Free, when we're no longer free....Ride Fast.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 05:17:04 PM »
Did you recently install a K&N filter or clean/re-oil an old one?  If so that may be excess oil from the Air filter but I have no idea how it would get to that part of the bike.

Good one!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 05:20:27 PM »

No.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline SimonSaysDie

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 05:35:09 PM »
Had you recently filled up with gas?  I had that happen to me once when I filled up then parked the bike.  It was leaking from almost the identical spot.  What surprised me was that it didn't look like gas.  I looked more like brownish red oil but wasn't quite as slick as oil; I think it must have mixed with gunk in the tube or something.  I watched it for a little bit and finally saw a drop come out of the tube sticking out down there.  Never happened again.

Offline PH14

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 06:45:17 PM »
I will guess gas that has dripped onto the sealed asphalt you are parked on. The gas has dissolved the asphalt sealer which has turned the spill a reddish/brown color. Either that or this bike used to belong to the "friend" of the person who started this thread. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=11440.0

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 06:47:28 PM »
 :yikes: :doh:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 06:55:57 PM »
I still want to know what happened to the guy who got his bike from the dealer with no oil :-X

Offline Cuda

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2013, 06:57:47 PM »
KLOTZ R50 synthetic racing oil is red , of course it is for two strokes thick chit  and smells sweet.
I'd put that in my gas before transmission fluid.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »
I seem to remember that something I got from AMSOIL years ago was red but I can't remember if it was engine oil or gear lube.

I like the gas overflow mixed with paint over spray.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 07:58:37 PM »
Royal Purple oil is red. Or purple.....

Offline jmd10259

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 09:10:36 PM »
Do you have full synthetic Motul 10W40 in her?? That oil is red like tranny oil.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 09:19:38 PM »
Do you have full synthetic Motul 10W40 in her?? That oil is red like tranny oil.

Spectro 10W40 dino oil.