Author Topic: Can't find dash screws on fiche (update: they are actually plastic rivets)  (Read 14228 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Can't find dash screws on fiche (update: they are actually plastic rivets)
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 02:51:25 PM »
They are a great fit, acually fit tighter than the original prob because the original has been off 20 times.
Sorry for the crappy pic they were taken with my phone but basicly one is the old and one is the new. Can you tell the difference?

I can't tell, looks reasonable to me.  Those things are a bit hard to work with and are easily damaged.  It is nice to know that spares are not THAT rare.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MCP

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 03:42:12 PM »
2talltim,

Look great, have them on order.

thanks

sailor_chic

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2016, 06:45:53 PM »
I dont even bother putting the push rivets under the windshield.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2016, 04:52:29 AM »
I use the ones where the center piece sticks out and you can grab it with your fingers..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2016, 06:09:28 AM »
I use the ones where the center piece sticks out and you can grab it with your fingers..

Is there any other kind?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2016, 06:19:57 AM »
Yes, the ones where the center pin is flush with the rivet.  Mine is not flush, it's up about a quarter inch.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2016, 07:01:14 AM »
So you pull yours out rather than push it in?

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2016, 07:11:23 AM »
So you pull yours out rather than push it in?

(easy boys!)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 08:46:40 AM »
Yes, the ones where the center pin is flush with the rivet.  Mine is not flush, it's up about a quarter inch.

I haven't seen those before... so you are saying they always stay popped out?  I have only seen the kind you push in and then they pop out, or the kind that have a psedo-screw that you unscrew and then pull them out.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 09:44:58 AM »
I dont even bother putting the push rivets under the windshield.

Young lady, you may have the neatest Rostra install ever done, but..... your bike just isn't in ship shape without those pins in their proper position.
Finally a bit of tarnish on your brass.   ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2016, 11:04:51 AM »
I haven't seen those before... so you are saying they always stay popped out?  I have only seen the kind you push in and then they pop out, or the kind that have a psedo-screw that you unscrew and then pull them out.

Yep.  They push in just enough to allow the rivet to grab...

sailor_chic

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 07:09:17 PM »
Young lady, you may have the neatest Rostra install ever done, but..... your bike just isn't in ship shape without those pins in their proper position.
Finally a bit of tarnish on your brass.   ;D

Awww, Marty, now I feel bad. Guess I better go out and install them there rivets. Having a dark tint windshield, it not possible to see that they are missing. Or should I say were missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 09:22:59 PM »
We just don't want you buzzing and vibrating all over the place.  It isn't lady-like :)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 10:00:11 PM »
We just don't want you buzzing and vibrating all over the place.  It isn't lady-like :)
Well now let's not be so restrictive, after all she is at sea a lot, give a girl a break max'.

Sorry Sailor_chic, after seeing your nice tidy work on your bike I just couldn't stand that plastic flopping around all rivet-less.
I feel better now knowing all your brass is shiny again. :thumbs:

Offline Mage

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2016, 06:32:57 AM »
Another option is to take the time to replace this cheap junk with speed nuts. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-Black-Steel-M6-6mm-Fairing-Bolt-Spire-Speed-Fastener-Clips-Spring-Nut-/251793577968?hash=item3aa01117f0:g:LBYAAOSwWKtUt2qE&vxp=mtr  )

Or just search for 6mm speed nuts.

Here is 10 speed nuts for a "reasonable" price but beware - they will come from Hong Kong and that will take a couple weeks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Fairing-Bolts-M6-6mm-Spire-Speed-Fastener-Clips-Spring-Nuts-x10-/301716363414?hash=item463fb25896:g:vO8AAOSw9N1V0sA8&vxp=mtr

Offline Mage

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2016, 06:45:48 AM »
Does anyone know all the sizes of these things that are used on the c-14?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2016, 11:12:04 AM »
Another option is to take the time to replace this cheap junk with speed nuts. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-Black-Steel-M6-6mm-Fairing-Bolt-Spire-Speed-Fastener-Clips-Spring-Nut-/251793577968?hash=item3aa01117f0:g:LBYAAOSwWKtUt2qE&vxp=mtr  )

Or just search for 6mm speed nuts.

Here is 10 speed nuts for a "reasonable" price but beware - they will come from Hong Kong and that will take a couple weeks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Fairing-Bolts-M6-6mm-Spire-Speed-Fastener-Clips-Spring-Nuts-x10-/301716363414?hash=item463fb25896:g:vO8AAOSw9N1V0sA8&vxp=mtr

I don't know how many times you have removed the complete plastic, but I for one have no issue with the rivits, as they are easy to work with...
I couldn't see adding more threaded fasteners to an already monsterous amount that's there already... especially the ones in tight quarters....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2016, 11:13:40 AM »
Does anyone know all the sizes of these things that are used on the c-14?

it helps reading the first page of a thread.... maybe start at post#7???

mmmkayyyy

Offline Mage

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2016, 02:34:42 PM »
I don't know how many times you have removed the complete plastic, but I for one have no issue with the rivits, as they are easy to work with...
I couldn't see adding more threaded fasteners to an already monsterous amount that's there already... especially the ones in tight quarters....

I have not removed the complete plastic - hope I never do!  I bought this bike for many reasons, one of which was people say it never needs fixing.  I have a lot of trouble bending over for extended periods - I'm an old geezer :)

I'm glad you like the rivets.  I sure don't!  I removed the side fairings to fix an exhaust leak and 2 or 3 of them fell into the dark recesses...  To me they almost seem to be one trip ponies and the price is out (!)ing RAGIOUS!  I will change the ones in the side fairings and behind the windshield to the speed nuts.  I think they'll be easier to manage, at least in those positions.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2016, 04:01:09 PM »
I wish you best of luck on those, it will require you to now remove the windshield, 4 screws and a very fragile bunch of work, to remove the black plastic inner pans that had 1 rivet in them each, time savings and ease? no, and the other bottom rivet spots to boot.
there are enough painful screws to remove already, in blind and really difficult access points for these fairings to me, and getting them all aligned and screws installed, to me is a buzz kill. I've pulled fairings on these bikes at least 20 times, using a rechargeable electric 1/4 drive ratchet and bits speed the process, and allow access in the confined spaces, but still are a pain to get all of them out while sitting on the floor... I'm old also, but have a lift, it helps.  I'll caution you on the clip nuts, because it will be all too easy to over tighten the ones you are planning on doing, and resultingly breaking the fragile tabs that the rivets hold together.... in some cases, these fasteners were chosen because they didn't require any compression to hold things, just to restrict lateral movements on panels located by strategic mounting interlocking tabs...
it seems to be an overkill on the fastener for those points, which you may find when you tighten them down, and hear... crack.