Author Topic: Traction control and ABS  (Read 13088 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Traction control and ABS
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2013, 12:22:51 PM »
Man, I miss carb's.  I think we rely so much on technology, EFI just made us a bunch of sissies.  I miss having to play around with the choke cable... and don't even get me started about push button starting!!!   ;D
...and the magneto I so wisely to put on the old Sportser.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2013, 01:02:53 PM »
Man, I miss carb's.  I think we rely so much on technology, EFI just made us a bunch of sissies.  I miss having to play around with the choke cable... and don't even get me started about push button starting!!!   ;D

My doctor told me to stay away from carbs. That's why both of my bikes have EFI.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »
It is interesting to note that the people who say abs is unnecessary don't have abs bikes themselves; they have pre '11 C-14 bikes that lack it.
Pre 2010. My 2010 has abs & tc...just fyi
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2013, 04:08:16 PM »
ABS was optional on the 08/09s.  My 08 has it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
ABS was optional on the 08/09s.  My 08 has it.

It was also optional on 2010.  2011/12/13/14 became standard equipment
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline katata1100

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »

I have a '91 Katana 1100 in my garage that you'd love to bond with. Main jets periodically clog up with gel (e10 fuel probably) and it is just loads of fun removing the carbs, removing the mains and cleaning them up. In fact, I can't think of a better way spending a nice saturday afternoon than futzing with some carbs!

Offline PH14

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2013, 06:03:48 PM »
Pittsburgh? Give me a break! We have these things in N. NV called the Sierra Nevada mountains- tall, curvey moutains that sometimes you really don't know what is around the corner. The road could be bone then you might hit a lit bit of snow melt going across the road. Occassionally, the snowmelt will get shaded by those tall pine/sequoia trees and it is ice.
No amount of chest thumping will make up for safety benefit of abs. You can post pics and anecdotes all you want, but that doesn't make up for facts.
Fact 1- The abs can make up to 10 calculations on brake threshold per second. Is your right foot that quick?
Fact 2-  This is according to research http://www.bikesafer.com/abs.html
It is interesting to note that the people who say abs is unnecessary don't have abs bikes themselves; they have pre '11 C-14 bikes that lack it. Perhaps they didn't have scratch to get the abs and trying to convince themselves that was a wise savings of cash. I bet none of these anti-abs chest thumpers have disabled the abs on their cars/trucks.

Wow, who the hell is chest thumping. I have only made the point that even with ABS, which I know is an amazing thing, we need to continue to practice. Wow, why is that so controversial? A bike can be ridden safely without it, but when you need it is works.

And yes Pittsburgh. This entire area is covered with roads just as you describe, they are throughout the Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia area. Maybe you should come out here sometime to see for yourself, I've been in your area.

You guys are way too emotional over a piece of technology. I'm done. Sorry to try to add a little to the discussion regarding safety. I'm not the best rider, but I do know that avoiding braking in some situations is often the best course of action.

Sorry to offend anyone. I'll go away.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013, 04:04:06 AM »
As far as I'm concerned there has been no offense, just a difference of opinion.  No need to go away.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2013, 08:09:51 AM »
I agree with PH14. If you are in a situation that results in the use of ABS then you need to analyze it and figure out what you should have done to avoid that situation. This then should be applied to your riding from here on. ABS is a safety net, a last chance, it is not something that should be used regularly.

Offline pistole

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2013, 08:22:37 AM »
- one more point : braking on marginal (read : wet) surfaces. ABS is an absolute life saver here.

- i ride in all weathers and its very very reassuring to be able to brake confidently even when its raining hard.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2013, 08:41:50 AM »
I agree with PH14. If you are in a situation that results in the use of ABS then you need to analyze it and figure out what you should have done to avoid that situation. This then should be applied to your riding from here on. ABS is a safety net, a last chance, it is not something that should be used regularly.

Totally agree.  I'm always thinking about the road surface and ride accordingly.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2013, 08:54:03 AM »
As far as I'm concerned there has been no offense, just a difference of opinion.  No need to go away.

+1 I'm not even sure there was much difference of opinion. I am a big fan of ABS but totally agree with PH14 that rider skills is the most important component of riding safely.

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2013, 09:40:19 PM »
Wow, who the hell is chest thumping. I have only made the point that even with ABS, which I know is an amazing thing, we need to continue to practice. Wow, why is that so controversial? A bike can be ridden safely without it, but when you need it is works.

And yes Pittsburgh. This entire area is covered with roads just as you describe, they are throughout the Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia area. Maybe you should come out here sometime to see for yourself, I've been in your area.

You guys are way too emotional over a piece of technology. I'm done. Sorry to try to add a little to the discussion regarding safety. I'm not the best rider, but I do know that avoiding braking in some situations is often the best course of action.

Sorry to offend anyone. I'll go away.
Yeah the Appalachian Mtn's are not to be taken lightly. SE & Eastern Ohio is where you start to see the beginning of those Mtn's & have some great roads & offer some great riding.

Noooo no need to go away. I think sometimes on forums ppl type one thing & others read another, making it tough for the person to get their point across.  I too agree with what your saying about riding techniques & skill in different situations.
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current