Author Topic: is my Kawi wearing out...or is it my imagination  (Read 11029 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
is my Kawi wearing out...or is it my imagination
« on: May 26, 2011, 11:05:20 AM »
When I start my bike, let it warm up, and use the clutch for the 1st or second time during the ride if feels like it grabs too soon (too close to grip still) as I let it out.  Whats up with that? After I ride it and shift gears a couple of times its perfectly back to normal.

Mine Kawi is long overdue to break, and I'm asking because i have a cross country trip soon. If clutch needs attention I'd rather do it now that later.

Thanks in advance for input
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
Re: is my Kawi wearing out...or is it my imagination
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 11:11:19 AM »
Steve I noticed the same with mine about 40k miles, finally went and changed my fluid and noticed a difference.

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:23:52 AM »
I've noticed the same 'soft' clutch problem, but only when the bike is cold. I'm at 18k on the clock with regular oil changes and keep the other fluids topped and clean.  -Same symptoms, clutch engages immediately when releasing it from the grip.  I hope the problem doesn't get worse.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:55:46 AM »
Maybe time for new clutch plates and fluid. If it's bothering you, just do it so you can take your trip with a sound mind (or reasonable facsimile in your case).

If you're a chronic clutch abuser, then definitely do it.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 12:16:43 PM »
I've noticed the same 'soft' clutch problem, but only when the bike is cold. I'm at 18k on the clock with regular oil changes and keep the other fluids topped and clean.  -Same symptoms, clutch engages immediately when releasing it from the grip.  I hope the problem doesn't get worse.

Thanks for all your comments. If I knew mine would continue to do this "only when cold" I wouldn't worry. And I never put this many miles on a bike before, maybe it is really time for a fluid change? 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 12:29:49 PM »
Mine does that but only when it is hot and has been sitting for a while but not long enough to cool down. When the bike is at running temp. or cold, the clutch engagement point is the same; when it is hot and has been sitting for a while, say 20 minutes, the clutch engagement point moves toward the handlebar quite a bit. The slave cylinder was replaced and it cured the problem for a while but it is back now (maybe 15K miles since the slave cylinder was replaced).

It seems very repeatable and <more or less> normal. I will change my clutch fluid and let it go at that unless or until there are other symptoms. The clutch itself works perfectly so it is nothing to worry about IMO, and there are 62K miles on my bike.

Brian

When I start my bike, let it warm up, and use the clutch for the 1st or second time during the ride if feels like it grabs too soon (too close to grip still) as I let it out.  Whats up with that? After I ride it and shift gears a couple of times its perfectly back to normal.

Mine Kawi is long overdue to break, and I'm asking because i have a cross country trip soon. If clutch needs attention I'd rather do it now that later.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »
Mine just has a little clunk (and it jerks a little) when I put it into first gear when it is cold.  I figured it was normal, it isn't nearly as bad as my M109R.  Any gearbox is better than that one, it was very clunky especially going into second.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 12:50:04 PM »
Mine has not changed at all since new.  I have over 22,000 miles on it in about 17 months now.  The engagement has always been almost all the way "out" in the clutch travel (away from the grip).
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline bob14

• go forth and meet the shadowy future without fear
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 12:50:34 PM »
Someone way back had the same issue and tore the system apart trying to fix it. Don't think anything was found. TJ maybe???
Mine will do the same thing ,come out mostly in the morning and it feels like no clutch kinda a surprise at 4:00am . part way to work and it's ok.
Doesn't happen consistently maybe 2 or 3 times a month and then not for 2 or 3 months.  :banghead:
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 01:14:50 PM »
Mine started doing this just the other day. Engagement started significantly closer to the grip. Turned out I had moved the adjustment lever on my knock off Pazzo's by accident when I was washing my bike.  :D
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline cheapbastard

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »
mine also just started doing this. Hoping to get the fluid changed out ASAP and hopefully that will take care of it. She just tripped 41k.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 03:15:16 PM »
Yeah, that was me. The 'cure' was a new slave cylinder assembly (under warranty). Tom Hess had the same problem shortly afterward but I don't remember what the cure was on his bike.

The change on my bike is very consistent and predictable- it only does it when it has been sitting for something like 20 minutes to a couple of hours after being up to full operating temperature. If allowed to cool all the way back down (overnight), the clutch engagement point is in the normal place, close to fully released.

Brian

Someone way back had the same issue and tore the system apart trying to fix it. Don't think anything was found. TJ maybe???
Mine will do the same thing ,come out mostly in the morning and it feels like no clutch kinda a surprise at 4:00am . part way to work and it's ok.
Doesn't happen consistently maybe 2 or 3 times a month and then not for 2 or 3 months.  :banghead:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 04:23:36 PM »

Sure its not a KIPASS issue Steve?

Offline Z71

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 04:43:59 PM »
Sure its not a KIPASS issue Steve?

He could blame KIPASS even for low pressure in the tires.

Bob

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 05:07:14 PM »
He could blame KIPASS even for low pressure in the tires.

Actually since the TPS and KIPASS are both part of the same system, this could be true!  :D

Bob

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 05:08:34 PM »
I'm surprised that you haven't had the guys replace the parts again!  ::)

Yeah, that was me. The 'cure' was a new slave cylinder assembly (under warranty). Tom Hess had the same problem shortly afterward but I don't remember what the cure was on his bike.

The change on my bike is very consistent and predictable- it only does it when it has been sitting for something like 20 minutes to a couple of hours after being up to full operating temperature. If allowed to cool all the way back down (overnight), the clutch engagement point is in the normal place, close to fully released.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 05:26:18 PM »
Oh I may do that- it is still under warranty for some time yet. Not like that other brand bike that only comes with a one year warranty and the extended warranty only reaches 5 years. I can't think of the name of it....?? Let's see, it ticks all day long but doesn't tell the time. It has had an ignition recall. It has had an ECU recall. The name is right on the tip of my tongue. It only has five gears. It came in the same color two years in a row..... If only I could remember the name. Oh well, it doesn't matter anyway as it was only an inferior comparator to a C-14 anyway.

Here Kitty, kitty.

;D

Brian

I'm surprised that you haven't had the guys replace the parts again!  ::)

Offline R Nelson

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 05:26:49 AM »
Fortunately mine has stayed consistent after 30K miles.  I am a firm believer that you should change your fluid out at least every 2 years at the latest.  If your rack up miles quickly, then I'd say every 15,000 miles.  I'm always surprised how brown the fluid gets after I change it out.  You'd think it would last longer, but my clutch fluid is brown within a month or two of when I change it.  It's so easy to do that I probably do mine about every 10K miles.  This may have nothing to do with the engagement position changing you guys are seeing, but I know mine hasn't changed for what it's worth.
My Current Rides:
2008 Kawasaki Concours
1999 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
2006 Ford F150 SCAB, 5.4L

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »
Steve,

If it helps, I was talking to the mechanic / designer / conversion expert of Authority Sales (the guys who supply the C14 Police version) last week.  We were discussing what changes they made to the bikes from stock, and after he finished his list, I mentioned the clutch.

He said they make no changes to the clutch system on the C14, that it has been bullet proof for them.  They have never heard of a single complaint or problem from any of their C14 Police bike customers.  He went on to comment on how easy it would be to replace the clutch disks if needed (lay the bike over, pull the cover, don't even drain the oil!).

Considering most of their low speed control is done by feathering the clutch, they are probably the worst for abusing them.

He also mentioned how they upgrade the clutches on every other bike they sell, like the ST's, the BMW's, and all other conversions they've done, but not the Connie.

I figure that's about the best testimonial there is for the C14 clutch.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 05:52:48 AM »

Yep the bike is shot!  Throw it away!  If you want to keep it out of the land fill and save the world give it to me and I'll suffer with the negatives of having a trash bike.   :)
T.S.R.