Author Topic: Zx14r throttle bodies, other stuff  (Read 9339 times)

Offline srech77

Zx14r throttle bodies, other stuff
« on: August 22, 2016, 08:41:41 PM »
Sorry in advance, I'm sure this stuff is somewhere else on the forum but I'm new and couldn't track it down. I am interested in zx14 tbs on the concours mod, what do I need to know. Mechanically I am inclined and will do fine, I just need to know what, if anything, I will need. It is a 2012 C14, so is there a particular year zx14 tbs that I need to use. I know on 2011 and earlier c14 the idle adjust were manual, did they go to ECU adjusted idle on the 2012?

Any other parts besides the tbs I would need to buy?

Any help is appreciated... Thanks.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline srech77

Re: Zx14r throttle bodies, other stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 09:39:49 PM »
Thank you - I will get to reading.

Offline srech77

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 09:58:51 PM »
All the threads seem to have tapered out in 2012.. Maybe someone can answer this question as I am looking to buy a set of tbs on eBay soon...

..06 to 11 zx14 tbs had a idle screw to adjust idle like a concours. 2012 zx14 went to the ecu controlling idle through an air valve. What I'm not sure of is does the 2012 concours have the same setup as a 2012 zx14 or are they the same as the older zx14??

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 04:22:15 AM »
Get the older ZX14 TB's. Some silicon spray lubricant would be helpful when you're installing the ZX14 TB's as the rubber boots (between the TB's & Intake manifold) don't slip on that easily. Oh! A second person to help you.

This would also be a good time to do the valve adjustment if it's time. Having the TB's out of the way will make the task a little easier.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline srech77

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 05:27:18 AM »
Ok thank you, good to know. The bike only has 1500 miles, so I don't think it will need the valves done; but good to know when that time comes.

So the 06-11 zx14 tbs are the ones I want?

Offline srech77

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 05:29:43 AM »
And just so I know the difference, what is the reason not to use the 2012 and newer zx14 tbs? Thanks -

Offline srech77

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 01:14:16 PM »
All the threads seem to have tapered out in 2012.. Maybe someone can answer this question as I am looking to buy a set of tbs on eBay soon...

..06 to 11 zx14 tbs had a idle screw to adjust idle like a concours. 2012 zx14 went to the ecu controlling idle through an air valve. What I'm not sure of is does the 2012 concours have the same setup as a 2012 zx14 or are they the same as the older zx14??

The C14 injection has remained unchanged since introduced in '08
That should answer the question, also Pope already told you.
Best of luck.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline srech77

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 01:47:22 PM »
Got it, thanks -

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »
we have some resources here that may offer a very afffordable alternative to trying to re-inject and engine that was designed as it was, to a semblence of much more desirable, with little less than a pull, send, and plug in swap... no guesswork, no countless hours chasing parts or picking everyone's brains on what secrets they had to go thru, to stuff a tbs into a bike, and then trouble shoot it for you...

SISF will be back online in a week, buy your bike... get in some riding.... then, hook up with him, and get a flash.  byt the questions already asked, you need a bit more guidance than you think, especially when you ask "what to buy, what else do I need' what this and what that", without even having the bike in front of you to make a decision if it's really needed... hey, testosterone fueled wanna be king is all cool, but often we see this, and without the bike, it's hard to say.... do you really need it? and tell us why...
this group offers a lot. but when someone wants us to do the work for you... well, you need to pay the dues and sing the blues... and put some semblence of effort out.. and be willing to trade your time, for tht time many have expended... sorry, if this seams harsh, but i see way to much "I want it now" mentality.

be safe, ride safe, and best of luck.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 06:02:18 PM »
I agree with MOB.  Replacing the TB's won't do much without also replacing the whole exhaust system and then putting in a new fuel injection system modification (PCV) and trying to find maps for that exact combination and lots of other stuff.  You are talking  thousands of dollars and many hours of tinkering.

My recommendation is get the bike, try it stock for a while.  Then get the ECU re-flashed.  The C14 is quite capable and very pleasant when the emissions control taming is stripped off.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 06:11:27 PM »
geez...yous guyz r kno fun... ::)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 11:09:21 PM »
geez...yous guyz r kno fun... ::)

You are high on OPM   (other people's money)

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 01:29:22 AM »
You are high on OPM   (other people's money)

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

OPM..... I must remember that one....
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 04:04:37 AM »
And just so I know the difference, what is the reason not to use the 2012 and newer zx14 tbs? Thanks -
You already know the reason......
2012 zx14 went to the ecu controlling idle through an air valve.
And just as an FYI....

I have the ZX14 TB's, Akrapovix ZX14 Full Length Exhaust System, SISF Re-flash, PC-V & Autotune on my 2011 C14.

Like it has been suggested...
My recommendation is get the bike, try it stock for a while.  Then get the ECU re-flashed.  The C14 is quite capable and very pleasant when the emissions control taming is stripped off.
Then if you feel the need to modify it, go for it!
The Pope

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 04:08:39 AM »
No, because if you ever go the route that I did, you'd want the flies with SISF's Re-flash.

Would this be a good set to purchase? It looks like the flies have already been removed??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-08-09-10-11-2006-2011-KAWASAKI-NINJA-ZX14-ZX14R-THROTTLE-BODIES-BODYS-A53-/231977815011?fits=Make%3AKawasaki&hash=item3602f48be3:g:bZ8AAOSwvg9XXqhl&vxp=mtr
The Pope

Offline srech77

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 08:51:15 AM »
I appreciate the responses ... and there is no "I want it now" mentality really - what I'm really trying to do is homework on the front end, to help make things easier down the road. It actually just seemed like more of a cool project than anything. All of this "do you really need it?" and "what's it for?" nonsense seems axiomatic - anyone who loves bikes loves to tinker with them, and modding is just a part of ownership. No one needs an aftermarket exhaust, no one needs a turbo, no one needs this or that.. we all do those things because it's our passion and we like to work on bikes and make them our own.

I don't absolutely have to do anything to the bike ... but since I'm new to this bike, I assumed coming to the forum and talking to people who have logged thousands of miles on this bike would be the best place to to start, and forums are often very helpful. As soon as I pick the bike up, I will have a 8-10 hour trip on it as-is to get home, so I think it will be a good time to get acquainted with the bike out on the road.

My initial plan (or thinking) was to do something similar to other listed here - full area P or other system, air filter, tbs, and pcv+at combo ... it seems like the tbs can be picked up fairly cheap, so it seemed like a decent project. If it's not worth doing, than I wouldn't mess with it... that's what I was trying to get some answers here on the forum..

Offline srech77

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 08:56:24 AM »
I agree with MOB.  Replacing the TB's won't do much without also replacing the whole exhaust system and then putting in a new fuel injection system modification (PCV) and trying to find maps for that exact combination and lots of other stuff.  You are talking  thousands of dollars and many hours of tinkering.

So with a full exhaust, zx14r tbs, SISF flash, air filter... then adding a PCV+AT - can't you just load a map that gets you "close," then the purpose of the autotune is to do the fine tuning for your specific riding conditions? I see there are others on this forum who have done this setup, so I can't imagine there isn't a PCV map out there that someone could share to get it close enough to start using an autotune.. maybe not?

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 09:42:33 AM »
No one needs an aftermarket exhaust, no one needs a turbo, no one needs this or that.

I do. I need them.

This is my story.