Author Topic: Coolant  (Read 7824 times)

Offline oldsmoboat

Coolant
« on: July 18, 2012, 10:48:13 AM »
It gets in the triple digits where I live.  Stopped at lights can be brutal with the heat coming off the engine.
Do the coolants or additives that supposedly lower the temp actually work?
It's time for a coolant change anyway.
TIA

Offline nosaint7

Re: Coolant
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:19:31 AM »
IMO - Temp range on thermostat has more to do with it than any additive.
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 12:49:27 PM »
IMO - Temp range on thermostat has more to do with it than any additive.
What are you guys in hot climates running?

Offline Vic Salisbury

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 01:21:09 PM »
Brian Snowberg's heat shields.

sorry, don't have a link, will dig a round to see if I can find it and post it.......

bpsnow AT hotmail DOT com      Photo's:  http://pets.webshots.com/album/562655840AQZjvN
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:45:32 PM »
It gets in the triple digits where I live.  Stopped at lights can be brutal with the heat coming off the engine.
Do the coolants or additives that supposedly lower the temp actually work?
It's time for a coolant change anyway.
TIA

When the ambient temps are in the triple digits there is NOTHING that will save you from getting roasted at traffic lights....

That being said there are some "Snake Oil" additives that can improve the transference of heat into the coolant but engine temps will ultimately be controlled by the T-Stat and the overall effectiveness of the cooling fan. In the end your money will be ill spent as the Concours cooling system is more than adequate for the motor otherwise it would be boiling over and/or overheating.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Summit670

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 06:40:46 PM »
Straight water cools better than antifreeze.  Boils at lower temp though.

Water Wetter is supposed to help water cool even better.

I don't know if it is possible to run less than 50% and still get good life out of water pump because antifreeze also lubricates.  I'm guessing 40% would be ok.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:37:30 PM »
Probably time to do a search on SiSF's coolant recipe. I've tried 'Engine Ice' which is one of the high dollar special coolants -- not nearly as effective as water with water wetter.
I'm going to take issue with Tony's assertion that the cooling system is "more than adequate". I live in Orlando, and in the summer the only way I know to keep from overheating -- and I mean all coolant puking out, motor trouble overheating -- is to turn the key off and back on at intersections. That shuts off the motor and the headlight, but leaves the tail lights on.
One of these days I'll find a shop to make a custom radiator with more capacity -- and not charge B-2 development costs to do so. No such luck so far.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 10:14:17 AM »
It sounds like you might have a cooling issue. I have run around in San Antonio doing stop lights with temps over 100° and never had a problem.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 05:13:50 PM »
When the ambient temps are in the triple digits there is NOTHING that will save you from getting roasted at traffic lights....

That being said there are some "Snake Oil" additives that can improve the transference of heat into the coolant but engine temps will ultimately be controlled by the T-Stat and the overall effectiveness of the cooling fan. In the end your money will be ill spent as the Concours cooling system is more than adequate for the motor otherwise it would be boiling over and/or overheating.
   That heat you feel is the cooling system doing it's job. When the fan kicks on that is a good thing also.  Saves the cooling system from boiling over!!
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 06:15:52 PM »
I live in central FLA, My temp gauge sometimes goes just a hair past the middle, and that's it.

195* thermostat, Napa Echlin #130 fan switch, switches on and off about 10* lower.

This combo works for me.

Redzg, is you fan working, and are the blades good?(i.e., not melted)
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

enim57

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 02:20:43 AM »
Probably time to do a search on SiSF's coolant recipe. I've tried 'Engine Ice' which is one of the high dollar special coolants -- not nearly as effective as water with water wetter.
I'm going to take issue with Tony's assertion that the cooling system is "more than adequate". I live in Orlando, and in the summer the only way I know to keep from overheating -- and I mean all coolant puking out, motor trouble overheating -- is to turn the key off and back on at intersections. That shuts off the motor and the headlight, but leaves the tail lights on.
One of these days I'll find a shop to make a custom radiator with more capacity -- and not charge B-2 development costs to do so. No such luck so far.

I think you might have a problem. All I have ever done is change my coolant with 50/50 mix of coolant & water every 2 years, as far as I know the thermostat and fan switch are original (1986 60000 km). Never had a problem on the open road or around town during 40C Australian summer. At just to the right of vertical temp needle (say 5/8 of the gauge) the fan starts and that's where the needle stays.

Regards, Russell

Offline scubadoguk

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 08:15:14 AM »
I also have a FZ1 and a c10, both bikes get HOT. both have shields and such to duct heat away but nothing I have tried makes them cool down any different, I have used water wetter its supposed to cool better Blah not for me, engine ice  nope its just as hot.
If its hot out the bike is hot too, when cooler the bike keeps you warmer longer :)) it seems a trade off
poo poo occurs..British by birth American by choice

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 08:27:37 AM »
Here in Austin, I've had coolant dumping out with what was a reasonably maintained 50/50 system.  Of course, that was with extensive idling (trying to keep a battery up).  Since then I've changed to what's been called SiSF's Coolant Cocktail.  I had doubts about it, so Steve and I discussed it on the old forums, I emailed the guys at RedLine, etc.  Gotta say, I don't think the RedLine guys are snake oil sales guys. 

I'll say up front I like the stuff.  I just get the feeling (no data) I'm cooler with the stuff in than without.  Might be all between my ears, but that's ok.  It feels cooler there now whatever the reason ;)

How's it work?  Mostly it's from changing most of the coolant from anti-freeze (AF) to water (H2O). 

NOTE:  The numbers in here are from memory.  I didn't go look 'em up again.  Double check everything.  Do your own math.  Ask questions if you can't figger it out.

H2O will hold more heat per volume than nearly anything, and it takes and gives it up more easily too. 

AF will lower the freeze temperature and increase the boiling temperature depending on how much a percentage of it's in the coolant.  Quality AFs also have corrosion inhibiting chemicals in them.  These are what make one AF incompatible with another.  AF doesn't hold or transfer heat nearly as well as H20.  AF is also slippery as hell.  2nd gear, or even 3rd rolling 'burn outs' are difficult to avoid once your rear tire gets wet with the stuff.  The bike still has a weird spot in the seat from that . . .

RedLine Water Wetter (RWW) isn't anti-freeze.  It's mostly a 'surface tension modifier'.  What that means is the bubbles that form inside a normally operating engine, aka steam pockets, are smaller with the lower surface tension.  Unlike the snake oil stuff out there, RedLine has data and SHOWS it!  They answer questions!  RWW also has corrosion inhibiting chemicals in it, replacing or renewing the stuff in the AF.  It doesn't take much to protect the entire cooling system. 

So what's The Cocktail?  SiSF didn't invent it, but he's the most recent to make it popular with Concours riders.  Here's my take on it.  Look at the table for your fave flavor of AF.  Put enough AF in the system to protect from freezing in the coldest conditions you imagine you'd have the bike in.  Here in Austin, I don't worry about it since if it's near freezing the bike it in the garage.  I put very little if ANY AF in.  Then put in the RWW as directed (4oz?).  Top off with distilled or at least de-ionized water.  It's cheap at the grocery store.  DO NOT use tap water, even the 'softened' stuff - maybe unless it passes through an RO filter first ;)

If you need to put more than about 30% AF in, save your money and don't use the RWW.  It will still help, but if memory serves it's less than 10F instead of as much as 30F for 0% AF.  IMO not worth the extra expense or hassle.

Temp gage runs lower, comes down faster when rolling after getting hot at a light, etc.  I think since this mix gives up heat more quickly everything else, including me, has less chance to get hot.  Also I think the fan runs for a shorter period until it cools enough to turn off.  That helps too.
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 08:43:44 AM »
Another thought to throw out here is what is the surface condition of your radiator face? Is it clear, free from road goo and bug guts, what about deep down inside is it clear? Simply put if the air can't flow THROUGH the rad it is not going to work efficiently. Even a coat of paint can interfere with heat transfer if applied too thickly. You can also switch out your plastic cooling fan blade for an Alum one from Muzzy (?) it is claimed to flow mo air than the plastic one.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline JDM

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 07:33:27 AM »
You could install a toggle switch in the system that bypasses the temp. switch, and when you see your about to get in to a lot of stop and go, just turn the fan on early to help keep the temp. down.   HTH JD
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline Leo

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 03:12:09 PM »
In the 75 or so really hot days a year in Dallas, I would leave the lower fairings and belly pan off the bike.  Never had any engine overheating.  My cooling system was stock and I just used Peak antifreeze from the auto parts store mixed 50/50 with clean water.  The fairings hold the engine, radiator and exhaust heat and vents it right on your legs.  The bike never overheated, but the rider sure did any time the traffic stopped.  I am told that ceramic coating the inside of the exhaust pipes help, but I never got around to it.   
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 08:09:02 PM »
I have had my pipes ceramic coated -- don't think that helped nearly as much as advertised.
To my mind, I shouldn't have to do anything to keep the gage away from the red -- other than normal maintainence and such, of course. My radiator is clear both inside and out, the fan blade is original and in good shape, the thermostat is proper and functional, and the fan switch operates as it should. None the less, in hot weather sitting at long red lights I can watch the needle climb and climb. If I let it, it will climb into the red, and coolant will begin to puke out the overflow. None of which should happen, if the system were adquate for the ambient conditions.
In every other way, my 2K is a pick of the litter bike. Low vibrations, good power, responded wonderfully to the SiSF exhaust cam gear, etc. Oh, alcohol has caused plugged pilots about three times now, but that's my fault.

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 11:27:37 PM »
I believe the bike is running normally.  Just looking for ideas to cool it down during these hot spells.  If the coolant actually cools it by the 40-50 degrees they claim, that would have to make a difference.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 04:56:41 AM »
I believe the bike is running normally.  Just looking for ideas to cool it down during these hot spells.  If the coolant actually cools it by the 40-50 degrees they claim, that would have to make a difference.

Where did you find this 40-50 degree claim? On the water side generally the heat exchange is at most 15 degree between in and out of an engine.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 08:39:10 AM »
I have had my pipes ceramic coated -- don't think that helped nearly as much as advertised.
To my mind, I shouldn't have to do anything to keep the gage away from the red -- other than normal maintainence and such, of course. My radiator is clear both inside and out, the fan blade is original and in good shape, the thermostat is proper and functional, and the fan switch operates as it should. None the less, in hot weather sitting at long red lights I can watch the needle climb and climb. If I let it, it will climb into the red, and coolant will begin to puke out the overflow. None of which should happen, if the system were adquate for the ambient conditions.
In every other way, my 2K is a pick of the litter bike. Low vibrations, good power, responded wonderfully to the SiSF exhaust cam gear, etc. Oh, alcohol has caused plugged pilots about three times now, but that's my fault.

Well, something is not right, witness other folks that are OK in hotter temps than here. Have you looked at the cooling fan? they are known to sometimes get melted blades. This would cut down the air flow a bunch. Muzzy makes a metal fan for the C-10...
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)