Author Topic: stuck gas cap lock - help!  (Read 7862 times)

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
stuck gas cap lock - help!
« on: April 18, 2012, 08:26:48 AM »
Between last week and this, my gas cap lock decided to corrode until stuck.  I hit it with PB blaster; no dice.  Can I take out the allen head screws around the ring to get it open?  Additionally, has anyone got rid of the lock tumbler completely?  I'm not worried about gas theft.

Thanks,
Rick
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline Vic Salisbury

Re: stuck gas cap lock - help!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:05:07 AM »
Try pushing down on the cap while wiggling the key. Helps release the pressure on the latch.
I'd keep working at it JIC, I've had mine hang up after a week or so, but it luckily ended up working after some fiddling.

Removing the allen screws ALMOST gets you there, there is a phillips head screw UNDER the cap that also needs to come out. If you cant open the cap,,,,,not able to get to that screw.

Not sure about removing the lock cylinder, you would need something to move the latch.

I do believe there is a screw on cap kit available for other Kawis that would fit on our bike, maybe an option?

Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »
I remember reading a few bad outcomes of this on the old forum - that's when I removed the anti-theft screw.  As stated above, keep working at it.  There is an anti-theft screw under the cap.  I think someone in the past removed it by drilling a hole from the top.  It then gave some wiggle room, then the assembly could be removed.  The part that holds it up is usually the latch part where it retracts back into the bottom of the cap towards the front edge.  It gets corrosion on it and just kind of hangs up.  Maybe try pushing the cap downward and tapping lightly with a hammer and small block of oak - while an assistant tries to turn the key.

Dangerous to do with gas inside, then you need a new (used) cap assembly.  Swap the lock (or tumbler washers) so your key is the same.  This is if you decide to drill.

The yellow arrow in the picture is pointing where the screw is that holds the assembly in the top of the tank.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:29:01 PM by RFH87_Connie »
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 01:54:44 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:18:50 PM by knight_mare »

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 06:19:55 PM »
+1 on turning upside down and allowing the gas to act as a lube.... If I recall correctly from hanging out on the ZRXOA that another cap that can be used on the Concours is the aftermarket caps to fit the ZRX1100.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 07:44:06 PM »
I pulled the screw on mine tonight!!
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 05:18:12 AM »
I will be pulling the screw on mine too, will probably do it next week.

Thanks for the heads up!
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:34:36 PM »
She came loose this morning, guys, thanks!  I guess a little patience was in order.  And I, too, pulled the anti-theft screw. 
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline Summit670

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 09:43:37 PM »
So removing the anti-theft screw will allow the entire cap/ring assembly to be removed by removing the bolts from around the ring in case the lock mechanism sticks or malfunctions?
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 06:54:37 AM »
So removing the anti-theft screw will allow the entire cap/ring assembly to be removed by removing the bolts from around the ring in case the lock mechanism sticks or malfunctions?

Not exactly.  It won't just pop out.  It will give you a little more wiggle room so the latch catch piece could hopefully retract after being lubricated, pryed on, or just fiddled with.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline davida

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 01:05:06 PM »
I'm in the same boat, a half mile ahead.

Remove the allen screws and wiggle the cap enough to release the latch from under the lip of the gas tank.  That will release the cap and allow you to get to the screw. 

I would like to remove the tumblers too, but have not figured out how to drive the cylinder out and remove the pins. 
86 zg1000

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 07:20:19 AM »
Alternatively, y'all could spray the gas cap locking mechanism with your favourite penetrating oil about once per year and prevent it seizing in the first place. Pro-active, not re-active!  ;D

I do mine every time I do an oil change and so far (400k miles on C10s & C14) I've never had one seize.
Learned this lesson with my old GS550E. Had to cut that one out with an angle grinder and a chisel.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline co11ins

• kawasaki gtr 1990
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 04:09:14 PM »
https://picasaweb.google.com/colchrishiscock/FuelCapLockRemoval?authuser=0&feat=directlink
sorry dont know how to post pictures, but these are photos i took when i stripped down my cap lock.
 Hope this is of use to you  :).
I am immortal............................................so far!!