Author Topic: Almost hit a deer; it hit me instead  (Read 3853 times)

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
Almost hit a deer; it hit me instead
« on: June 29, 2011, 06:13:20 AM »
Coming home last night around 7pm with saddle bags full of groceries, the last 1/4 mile before I turn to my street is a nice set of turns that I like to have fun with. Posted 35mph, decent visibility, I take it at about 45. Nuthin crazy. I entered turn 2 just about ready to push the loud button and I see a very young deer standing on the inside apex just off the pavement. I immediately grabbed a handful of whoe, got upright and fully compressed the forks. meanwhile this bugger started doing the panic-dance and turned right for me. I was just about stopped when the rat attempted to change direction and it's rears slipped on the pavement, kicked out and hit my front wheel. Meanwhile, I'm keeping an eye out for momma and family. I came to a complete stop, didn't put my foot down, then rolled away intact. I glanced in my mirror and saw this stupid critter get up and bolt into the woods then started to laugh inside my helmet. I was lucky to have my head in the game and not drifting into other thoughts. The cool thing is, I've been practicing e-stopping/keep-feet-on-pegs maneuvers in an empty lot the past few months and it seems to have paid off.
I'm going back to practice more this weekend.
 Ride safe.

Offline Mettler1

Re: Almost hit a deer; it hit me instead
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 07:16:10 AM »
  Nicely done! :thumbs:
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 08:54:26 AM »
Yeah those pesky critters never made it to Driver's Ed Class and have no clue as to who has the right of way; I've had to hit the gas before to keep one from taking out the rear quarter panel. Could have counted the eyelashes on its head just by looking in the rear-view mirror.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Maille Man

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 09:16:50 AM »
It's momma lives near me...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1716.msg18302#msg18302

Good on ya for being up on your survival skills.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 09:45:56 AM »
Well done!

How do they get the deer to cross where they put the signs?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 10:21:28 AM »
So, I'm guessing no cookout at your house this weekend? I do love venison steaks.  ;D

Nice on avoiding the crash. Beats the alternative, that's for sure!

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 10:46:56 AM »
It's an infestation in my area. They bed down in my neighbors yard and the come over and eat all my plants and flowers, then try to kill me. Maybe I could "hide" a few shotgun blasts during this festive weekend. I just don't know where to "hide" the results.  ::). (insert official 'just kidding' disclamer here). NJ wildlife management policies are not conducive to good crowd-control of these creatures. Don't get me wrong, I love wildlife. But I wonder where all these forest rats were when I hunted with my dad many years ago. Never did get one. (with a firearm)

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 12:20:02 PM »
Problem around here is Moose. I have had numerous close calls over the years, could apply as a moose barber.  The moose population is a little depressed currently but years ago it was a regular accurance to see car/moose accidents. Still is common I just don't see a many. I have seen moose stand next to a major road off the side in the dark watching the cars stream by and then choose to cross the road when a group of cars are coming. Stop in the middle of the road and then turn around trying to decide which way to run.

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 03:12:45 PM »
 I have been riding since I was 5 (now 47) and I can count on one hand all the animals I have hit while riding. I have had the Connie 2 months and have killed a squirrel, a rabit (today), and damn near hit a deer.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 03:32:51 PM »
Glad it turned out the way it did for ya.  I had 'poop my pants' moment last year.  I had just crested a hill and caught a deer out of my peripheral vision. I grabbed all the brakes I could find but I knew I wasnt going to stop before intersecting with this relatively large doe. 
Her snout folded my right-hand mirror over.  My pulse rate was only slightly elevated :yikes: :yikes:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline JetJock

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 01:09:38 PM »
I have been riding since I was 5 (now 47) and I can count on one hand all the animals I have hit while riding. I have had the Connie 2 months and have killed a squirrel, a rabit (today), and damn near hit a deer.

Typical newbie problem. You need to shut off the Critter Magnet. It's that red flashing light to the top left/middle/side of your dashboard, right next to the massage control for the seat. That should solve the problem.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »
Glad you are ok. We got problems here too, NE Ohio. I've hit a deer with the car as have most all I know. I'll be practicing too. I kind of like those optical sights that move the weapon whichever way your helmet moves. Problem is, the stupid things are all near populated areas as thats where the food is so firearms aren't a good option there. Ohio doesn't care all that much if you kill a few deer off, legally of course, nuisance permits are readily given out to property owners and road kills are routinely offered to the drivers. We got a problem here. I won't ride at night much anymore.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 03:30:28 AM »
Your sooo lucky Toxz Qwaste,  I had some stats last year I got off of ADVrider, on fatalaties caused by those forest rats . I remember it well. The survial rate for hitting a deer in a car  at speed in the U.S. was 79 % and on a motorcycle it was 9%. I thought dang thats not to good. 

That being said, I run a night shift in a plant here in NC. My hours are 22:00 to 06:00hrs, the ride to and from is in hours of darkness and 85%  slab riding. Thank goodness for H.I.D

Be safe my friends.
Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline cmoore

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 04:49:42 AM »
Maybe some of the hunters here can explain to me why there is a season on those things. I understand game mgmt and all but Deer seem to have figured the breeding thing out. Kent County Michigan is thick with 'em and you better be ready. The problem is the one that explodes out of nowhere and gets you. One came across the road in front of me at a full run just a few days ago. I had room to avoid it but it easily could have been bad if I had been one second faster.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 05:02:07 AM »
My opinion would be that states established hunting seasons long ago at a time when not as many deer were present. I would think as the population explodes and they see that hunting to reduce the population as they've always done it is not good enough anymore, look at the nuisance permits and what some cities are doing to curb the problem. With animal rights and politics what they are, I personally do not see much of anything happening to really address this problem anytime soon. We are past pointing fingers as to who's to blame about the population explosion, that horse was dead long ago, we can do that all day and accomplish nothing, but the fact is, more and more humans will die until some real solutions are brought forward. Find that solution, one thats palatible to all, and economical, and you'll be rich.  ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline JetJock

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 08:31:21 PM »
Maybe some of the hunters here can explain to me why there is a season on those things. I understand game mgmt and all but Deer seem to have figured the breeding thing out. Kent County Michigan is thick with 'em and you better be ready. The problem is the one that explodes out of nowhere and gets you. One came across the road in front of me at a full run just a few days ago. I had room to avoid it but it easily could have been bad if I had been one second faster.

Many states have hired pro hunters to reduce the herds. When I lived in Minneapolis (Bloomington actually), they hired some pro hunters and game wardens to reduce the herds in a park that butted up to my house. In a 3-week managed hunt (more like a slaughter) they took nearly 1,000 deer out of the park (it's a big one, but surrounded by houses). By two years later, I doubt you could've told the difference. The deer may not be smart, but damn they know how to breed!