Author Topic: Taking my family to Galveston Texas for a week at the beach  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Taking my family to Galveston Texas for a week at the beach
« on: January 20, 2012, 04:30:58 PM »
We have a rental house reserved on Galveston Island (10Mar-16Mar) and I just wanted to know if anyone has suggestions for "can't miss" attractions or spots with great food and a family friendly atmosphere.  We are planning on visiting the seawall, Schlitterbahn (if the Gulf is cold), Houston Zoo, Space Center, and the Childrens Museum.  I have consulted the Houston and Galveston tourism websites and there is so much to do in that area that it is overwhelming.  I would love to hear what you think.

Also, I have read that the area where we are staying (Pirate's Beach, one block from the gulf) should be fairly secluded from all the spring break craziness.  Thoughts?
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Arata

Re: Taking my family to Galveston Texas for a week at the beach
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 03:59:42 PM »
The Battleship Texas is on display just down hwy 225. It's more the size of a heavy cruiser, but when built, was the most powerful ship afloat. It's located adjacent to the San Jacinto monument and battleground where Sam Houston defeated Santa Ana and secured Texas' independence from Mexico.

NASA has the last and obviously unused Saturn IV rocket on display, and that's pretty cool. They also give tours of the historic mission control from the movies.
2014 V Strom 1000
2008 C14
2004 ZRX1200R
1993 GSXR 1100

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 12:02:26 AM »
Seawolf park in Galveston is pretty cool. It's got a Submarine & a Destroyer you can explore. The Pyramids at Moody Gardens are a lot of fun & there is also a flight museum near them. Of course all of this except Seawolf park is right near Schlitterbahn Galveston. As long as it's not raining you picked a great time to visit. That's not Spring Break is it? The Island can get a little crowded that week. Still not bad enough not to visit. Have fun & enjoy yourself. If possible see if you can book a sailing excursion on clear lake out of Kehma. It's a great way to spend a day.
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 07:04:19 AM »
They also have a fresh water park at Moody Gardens too... Palm Beach club, IIRC.  Depending on how old your kiddo's are, the Children's Museum will be a quick run... plan on doing it, the Zoo, and ride the train around the park (outside the Zoo) in one day.  You also have the Botanical Gardens (Japanese rock garden), and Cockrell Butterfly exibit is downtown too.

The Menil Museum was my FAV!!!  Awesome collection of works... I could spend endless hours there!

Take the ferry from Galveston over to Bolivar.  Go and visit Ft. Smith.  It's and old WWII installation, nothing really neat other than it being there and getting to ride the ferry... bring along some bread for the kiddo's to toss to the seagulls at the rear of the boat.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 09:31:24 PM »
Taking off tomorrow!  Hoping the weather isn't as bad as the forecast is saying.........

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 09:47:30 PM »
Have a GREAT time!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 08:59:34 PM »
We are having a great time down here in northern Meh-hee-coh. The weather was was kinda nasty today so we visited the Houston space center, Children's museum, and Aquarium. My family disliked the space center as much as I did, the crowds and the general lack of cleanliness in that place made it hard to even make a lap around to do a quick "glance and go".  We had supper at a hole in the wall that I found out was popular with the locals. Shrimp and stuff was great, especially the gumbo, my wife and I might have to pick up some for the trip home. Tomorrow is gonna be a relaxing day on the beach and BBQ tomorrow night. I need to find some fresh shrimp and crawfish to do a boil. Gotta go, I have a beer calling my name.......

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 09:18:31 PM »
Enjoy the vaca Jeremy!