Author Topic: RE: Musing and Other Writings  (Read 2079 times)

Offline rumblecow

RE: Musing and Other Writings
« on: July 09, 2012, 08:41:41 AM »
As evident by the passion expressed by many on this site I’m curious to know how many others journal or blog about their relationship with their Concours (male or female).  I’m on my second 2008 (I wasn’t meant to be a widower) and started writing (http://home.comcast.net/~keithroe/motorcycle/GoodRide/GoodRide.html) upon the untimely passing of my first.  I’ve long wondered with whom I could share my musing and decided this was the obvious place.  If nothing else I hope you find at least one things which makes you smile.

I am open to all feedback, including typos and grammatical corrections.  All I ask is to keep comments respectful and please do no re-post the content elsewhere.  I continue to write so check back often.

Enjoy!

RumbleCow
......... =o&o>

Offline galaxieman

Re: RE: Musing and Other Writings
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:56:37 AM »
Work connection doesn't like the link to google docs, so I'll check it out when I get home.  I started blogging back in 2007 just before I deployed to Iraq.  I originally had the jim-n-mandie.com domain, but had been keeping my eye out for my current domain's previous owner to lapse in their registration... and then when I got divorced it only made sense to ditch the old domain.  Luckily I managed to grab http://www.galaxieman.com/ and moved my blog over there.  As time permits I have been going back to the old posts and re-uploading the images to the new domain and fixing the links, but I haven't gotten through all the old archived stuff yet.  Like I said, I'll look through your writing when I get home and respond more then.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline rumblecow

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »
Work connection doesn't like the link to google docs, so I'll check it out when I get home.  I started blogging back in 2007 just before I deployed to Iraq.  I originally had the jim-n-mandie.com domain, but had been keeping my eye out for my current domain's previous owner to lapse in their registration... and then when I got divorced it only made sense to ditch the old domain.  Luckily I managed to grab http://www.galaxieman.com/ and moved my blog over there.  As time permits I have been going back to the old posts and re-uploading the images to the new domain and fixing the links, but I haven't gotten through all the old archived stuff yet.  Like I said, I'll look through your writing when I get home and respond more then.

I look forward to hearing from you.
......... =o&o>

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 11:10:34 PM »
On initial read, I would mention the following:  Some people might find it weird.  I'm a little eclectic myself, and so the 'bike personified' and referred to as such isn't much of a stretch at all, and wouldn't be regarded as overtly strange in the internet group of bikers I most often associate with out in 'real space' (beginnerbikers.org).  Intellectual, smart bikers are, as a group, a rather strange group of people, and we all tend to get along with everyone.  From a concepts perspective, it reads well.

That said, I like the general writing style, though it tends toward the 'stream of consciousness' end of the organizational perspective.  I realize my own blog is somewhat like that, but (at least I think) each 'post' on mine tends to be a bit more stand-alone than what you've written... The headers have some temporal separation, but yours tends to flow more as a 'journal' than a 'blog' with 'posts', per se.  I really appreciate the basic understanding of things mechanical and the limits on our abilities to work on our own bikes.  One thing I found a bit over the top was the use of parentheticals, which I personally found more disruptive than informative.  I understand you're using parallel terminology, and that you're using the parentheses to explain to someone who doesn't get it what you're talking about... but if it's just for you, you don't need it, or if it's for someone else who knows you, shouldn't they get it anyway?  Just a thought.

From a formatting perspective, the journal 'system' you're using is very simple, straightforward, and easy to read.  Since I'm a bit of a photography nerd in addition to being a motorcycle geek, I needed my format to be a bit more 'web-normal' on the reader's end.  Thus, I chose the wordpress blog tool and the format I have at my blog; it's easy for me to update and easy enough for my parents to navigate, which is the basic "how simple do I need it to be" yardstick I use.  It's taken a couple of iterations of photography workflow attempts, but I've settled with Adobe Lightroom, as the current version (4.0) makes it very easy to get the pictures from the camera through the basic edits for color, cropping, etc, and then up on the web, all in a very efficient manner.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline rumblecow

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:26:34 PM »
On initial read, I would mention the following:  Some people might find it weird.  I'm a little eclectic myself, and so the 'bike personified' and referred to as such isn't much of a stretch at all, and wouldn't be regarded as overtly strange in the internet group of bikers I most often associate with out in 'real space' (beginnerbikers.org).  Intellectual, smart bikers are, as a group, a rather strange group of people, and we all tend to get along with everyone.  From a concepts perspective, it reads well.

That said, I like the general writing style, though it tends toward the 'stream of consciousness' end of the organizational perspective.  I realize my own blog is somewhat like that, but (at least I think) each 'post' on mine tends to be a bit more stand-alone than what you've written... The headers have some temporal separation, but yours tends to flow more as a 'journal' than a 'blog' with 'posts', per se.  I really appreciate the basic understanding of things mechanical and the limits on our abilities to work on our own bikes.  One thing I found a bit over the top was the use of parentheticals, which I personally found more disruptive than informative.  I understand you're using parallel terminology, and that you're using the parentheses to explain to someone who doesn't get it what you're talking about... but if it's just for you, you don't need it, or if it's for someone else who knows you, shouldn't they get it anyway?  Just a thought.

From a formatting perspective, the journal 'system' you're using is very simple, straightforward, and easy to read.  Since I'm a bit of a photography nerd in addition to being a motorcycle geek, I needed my format to be a bit more 'web-normal' on the reader's end.  Thus, I chose the wordpress blog tool and the format I have at my blog; it's easy for me to update and easy enough for my parents to navigate, which is the basic "how simple do I need it to be" yardstick I use.  It's taken a couple of iterations of photography workflow attempts, but I've settled with Adobe Lightroom, as the current version (4.0) makes it very easy to get the pictures from the camera through the basic edits for color, cropping, etc, and then up on the web, all in a very efficient manner.

Thank you for the excellent feedback.  Some of what you said was over my head and now I'm even more impressed with your wide range of talents.  You are a true polymath.  I read most of your blog and taken back by your wide range of riding skills.  Is the Nija your personal bike?  Although I've not previously been interested in drag racing your video and explanations were very insightful.

I look forward to reading more on your blog.

......... =o&o>

Offline rumblecow

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 07:44:51 AM »
On no....Constance has a urinary tract infection.  See the last paragraph to read more.

http://home.comcast.net/~keithroe/motorcycle/GoodRide/GoodRide.html
......... =o&o>