Author Topic: Going from a C14 to an RT  (Read 9265 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Going from a C14 to an RT
« on: September 24, 2012, 05:09:44 PM »
I enjoyed that other thread comparing the two since it looks like I will be going to an RT next year.

Actually the wife and I are planning an Edelweiss tour and the only choices that look suitable for two up riding are the RT and the Ducati Multistrada. I am all for the Multistrada but the wife apparently is familar enough with Ducatis to be convinced they are mostly torture racks. She has ridden  passenger on a friends RT and knows they are very comfy.

So has any of you ridden a Multistrada two up and care to comment on the comfort factor? I am confident the Duc blows the RT away in every other category so I am only curious about comfort.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline eng943

Re: Going from a C14 to an RT
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 05:32:39 PM »
I enjoyed that other thread comparing the two since it looks like I will be going to an RT next year.

Actually the wife and I are planning an Edelweiss tour and the only choices that look suitable for two up riding are the RT and the Ducati Multistrada. I am all for the Multistrada but the wife apparently is familar enough with Ducatis to be convinced they are mostly torture racks. She has ridden  passenger on a friends RT and knows they are very comfy.

So has any of you ridden a Multistrada two up and care to comment on the comfort factor? I am confident the Duc blows the RT away in every other category so I am only curious about comfort.

I am the much maligned new C14 owner called out for having the audacity to state some of the virtues I saw in my RT. First of all, I think you will really like the RT, though it may take you some miles before you really start to gel with it. You will find that the 2010+ boxer is quite powerful, and much smoother than you might expect. The handling and stability of the RT might really surprise you as well.

As for your trip the temptation to go with the Multi would be on my mind as well. However, it is not at all the two-up bike the RT is, and nor does it have the weather protection you might want. If it were just me, I'd go for the Multi just to try it but if mamma ain't happy...ain't nobody happy.         
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline SPX

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 06:06:27 PM »

I recently rode a Multistrada 1200S Touring, and was quite impressed with it. It doesn't have nearly the comfort for touring that the RT does (Ie: no heated seat, no cruise control..maybe changing for 2013?, wind protection is lacking, rain protection lacking, etc.) but it's a great bike. And the motor is contagious.. to me, it made the C14 feel underpowered.

It's hard to beat the R1200RT for an all around bike, including sport riding, and touring. If I hadn't rode the RT extensively before getting on the Multistrada, I'd probably buy a Multistrada. But candidly, the RT has spoiled me, and I think it would be difficult to go to a Multistrada without really missing the RT.

The Multistrada is a great bike, but for two up touring, you can't beat an RT.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
I am the much maligned new C14 owner called out for having the audacity to state some of the virtues I saw in my RT.

Much maligned?  That's a bit of a stretch isn't it?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline r2t2

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 07:15:48 PM »
Much maligned?  That's a bit of a stretch isn't it?

I don't know Jim... He was taking quite a beating for a new C14 rider... Make It So...  :rotflmao:

Another vote for the RT...
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:26:59 PM »
I'd say things have been quite tame.  Go to a BMW forum and proclaim how much better the 14 is.  And while yer at it, tell em ya bought an RT due to financial reasoning ;D  (Like, I won the lottery so I bought the expensive one)
In all fairness here, once he has more miles and the required smiles riding gets ya he'll either come around, or he will sell the 14 in favor of an FJR ;) ;) ;)  He will hold his COG membership in good standing and become a mod for the "Other" forum 8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 09:35:52 PM »
I'd say things have been quite tame.  Go to a BMW forum and proclaim how much better the 14 is. 

I like the way you think Chet! Please provide link to BMW forum, I feel like being a troll on a BMW site tonight...  ;)   :stirpot:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 09:41:15 PM »

I like the way you think Chet! Please provide link to BMW forum, I feel like being a troll on a BMW site tonight...  ;)   :stirpot:
But, but, we came for the bike and stay for the people :o

Offline SPX

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 09:49:27 PM »

You may not get quite the reaction that you're hoping for

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=736320&Searchpage=4&Main=66348

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 10:14:30 PM »
You may not get quite the reaction that you're hoping for

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=736320&Searchpage=4&Main=66348

:o

Wow, I just read through that thread, are they all that nice over there on that forum??  ???   :loco:

No bashing at all, just a bunch of ...  :-\

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 10:43:46 PM »

:o

Wow, I just read through that thread, are they all that nice over there on that forum??  ???   :loco:

No bashing at all, just a bunch of ...  :-\
Well, it is well known that Beemer riders are the best dressed ATGATT crowd on the road ;)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 11:06:18 PM »

Wow, I just read through that thread, are they all that nice over there on that forum?? 

I did get a chuckle out of this:
Quote from: Marksomebody on the BMW ST forum
Ah, jeez. You went and got the blue one. THAT'S the one with all the problems!!!!!! You're screwed.

This was kinda amusing too:
Quote from: Kakugo on the BMW ST forum
Pro's ...The saddle. The C14 had the best OE saddle I ever used.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 03:19:49 AM »

lather,
I owned an RT before going to the C14, and a friend of mine owns a Multistrada that I drove a few hundred miles. I'd go for an RT if I were to tour 2 up, no question. The Multistrada is even more character-oriented bike, for the lack of a better term. Wind protection is nowhere near the RT and comfort for both driver and passenger is just not there.
When you tour with the Duc, you're compromising. On the sporty side, it's just too tall. I commend the effort of Ducati for putting together such nice bike, but for touring is simply not good.
The RT is also not so bad in the twisties. Here in the Alps I have been overtaken by some RT on the outside while going at the top of my abilities, whatever that is. They always had Italian numberplates though, and they tend to be less safety-oriented  ;)
Hell, come to think of it, I was on a spirited drive with some friends on the back roads of Bolzano when a HD Road King, throwing sparks all over the place, overtook as. He was local and we couldn't catch up   :banghead:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:05:03 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline pistole

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 03:24:50 AM »
- Rider : 50%
- Bike : 10%
- Balls : 40%

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 06:24:34 AM »
Thanks for the replies, gents. I'm going with the RT.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 06:32:08 AM »
Hopefully you'll hang around here as well.  I've enjoyed your posts.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 07:44:48 AM »
Hopefully you'll hang around here as well.  I've enjoyed your posts.
Thanks Chief but I'm not going anywhere. Except to Europe, where I'll be RENTING an RT. I plan to put another 85,000 on my C14 back in the good ole USA.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 07:47:47 AM »
You will enjoy the comforts and added rain protection.  I wonder if connie will be like a puppy dog when ya return?

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 07:53:01 AM »
Thanks Chief but I'm not going anywhere. Except to Europe, where I'll be RENTING an RT. I plan to put another 85,000 on my C14 back in the good ole USA.

Hey, lather, where in Europe? I'm in Munich. Any close to your target destination? Maybe I can help you organizing something. Let me know.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 08:49:57 AM »
Hey, lather, where in Europe? I'm in Munich. Any close to your target destination? Maybe I can help you organizing something. Let me know.
Thanks for the kind offer.  We will be flying in to Munich and then to Erding and Edelweiss headquarters? We are planning to do one of their tours. We may fly in a day early and spend a day in Munich. We are still in planning stage, the tour will be summer 2013 but you have to choose the motorcycle when you book the tour.