Author Topic: OEM Front Rotor Thickness?  (Read 4344 times)

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
OEM Front Rotor Thickness?
« on: January 20, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »
Has anyone measured the thickness of new front OEM rotors?

Stamped with "Min Th 4 mm", mine with 11k miles measure 4.5 mm and I'm wondering how much of the original thickness is gone.

I can't feel any 'wear lip' on the inside or outside edges with my fingernail - inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline F-106

Re: OEM Front Rotor Thickness?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:37:23 AM »
My 06 has 12,000 miles on her and I measured the rotors a few months ago, they were right at 6mm.
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 01:22:19 PM »
Has anyone measured the thickness of new front OEM rotors?

Stamped with "Min Th 4 mm", mine with 11k miles measure 4.5 mm and I'm wondering how much of the original thickness is gone.

I can't feel any 'wear lip' on the inside or outside edges with my fingernail - inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!

hmmmmm
Did you buy this bike new from a dealer?
If not, are you positive you actually have OEM on there?

@ 4.5mm you would definatly have a visible and feelable ride on the inner diameter. But then Pads don't always wear evenly.... Pull the rotor, and mic the inner area, it should tell you what they are.

I say this because the OEM are 6mm, and many aftermarket ones are thinner, but will work fine. Case in point the EBC ultra-light rotors available, which are thin by comparison, but work superb when coupled with Galfer Green pads (they are very thick to start).

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:27:39 AM »
Referencing the Kawasaki Service Manual the Front Rotors are listed as Standard Thickness of 4.8 ~ 5.1 mm or 0.19 ~ 0.20 in. with a minimum service limit of 4.5 mm or 0.18 in.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 11:36:58 PM »
Referencing the Kawasaki Service Manual .......
Thanks, Tony, stupid of me to not check The Book.  Looking at the Kawasaki Service Manual Supplements for years later than '88 (mine is an '04 - see my sig line) I note that beginning with the A-9 in '94 the front rotor thickness spec is revised to 4.3 - 4.6 mm with the service limit stated at 4.0 mm as is stamped on my OEM rotors.  So, consistent with the low miles and the condition of the original pads, it appears that the rotors have lots of life left in them.  Now I'm OK with having sold them since I've no intention of screwing a fellow Connie rider.

hmmmmm
Did you buy this bike new from a dealer?
Yes I bought the bike new at Kawasaki of Universal City, TX, and yes, they are the original OEM rotors (and pads).

4.5mm you would definatly (sic) have a visible and feelable ride (sic) on the inner diameter.
The measurement and observations are valid - you are wrong.

I say this because the OEM are 6mm ....
hmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder about your basis for that absolute statement, MOB, but nevermind, Tony steered us to the correct info.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:35:18 AM by Centex »
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:24:51 AM »
Sounds like we all learnt a little something today.....

Me I forgets to check the supplements for differing specs; what I do find odd is that I cross checked the specs with the ZRX as it is a close but much younger (newer) cousin to the ZG and it carried the exact same 4.8 ~ 5.1 spec.

Anyway glad that you found the current and correct info as now you know that your rotors are in nearly new shape.

BTW the Rear Rotor spec for all years is: 6.8 ~ 7.1 mm with a 6.0 mm service limit.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:14:48 AM by T Cro ® »
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:39:32 AM »
....hmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder about your basis for that absolute statement, MOB, but nevermind, Tony steered us to the correct info.

sorry for misleading you, as T noted the rear one is thicker, and I believe the fronts were also on the pre 94's , I wasn't paying attention, and also going from feeble memory...I did see the 6mm limit on one of the many Conni rotors I tossed out about 1-1/2 months ago doing a "barn purge"....having a couple Kaws in the barn right now, I know One of them is for certain 6mm  ;D

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..