Author Topic: CCS-100 gone bad?  (Read 2870 times)

Offline jworth

• Arena
CCS-100 gone bad?
« on: March 06, 2022, 01:06:06 AM »
I've had an Audiovox CCS100 installed on my '04 for at least a decade.  Thing has always worked like a charm.  Unfortunately it has decided to stop working.  I've done the trouble shooting as far as checking the diagnostic light under various conditions (brake press, on, set buttons, light flashing running, faster with revs).  I feel vacuum to the unit.  Linkage appears to be intact.  Is there anything else I can check?  I know things don't last forever.  Just hate to shell out another 300 to replace it.

Offline Freddy

Re: CCS-100 gone bad?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 05:09:13 AM »
I've had and still have a few CCS100 units on my and my sons' bikes.  I have found that for some unknown reason, one or other of then will not SET.  I have also found that if the RES button is held in for a couple of minutes while cruising, it will eventually take over and working perfectly - until next time, which may be hours or days or weeks.

Another common fault it that the connectors get some surface corrosion, causing resistance which then prevents the unit from working or causes it to drop out soon after setting.  I locate the few connectors/wires, unplug, spray with WD40 or similar then re-plug and unplug several times to restore a good connection.

Give those tips a try and report back.

The check valve in the vac tank can also fail causing issues.  I've fitted a small inline c/valve on a couple.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 06:03:04 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't corroded connections turn up as failing the diagnostic light checks? For example, the LED wouldn't light when keypad button is pressed?

Offline Freddy

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 02:50:19 PM »
Not in my experience.  It's surface corrosion which seem to cause some resistance, not open circuit - well, that's my take on it.

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 04:55:49 PM »
Today I tied the purple wire directly to ground and verified that the linkage is intact. I pulled the wire harness to the unit which still looks perfect.  No change. That test LED still behaves as I would expect.  Are these units still available other than hit or miss on eBay?

Offline Freddy

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 09:08:54 PM »
Ask Murph:  https://murphskits.com/

He was selling just the vac control unit and spare touch pads at one stage and I think has some stock of various items that don't show on his site. 

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 09:00:41 AM »
I got an open box unit off eBay.  Took a chance. Replaced the servo. That stuff it. I read that the valves in the servo tend to stick and can sometimes be free up. I'll keep the old one and look into doing that, keeping it around as a spare so to speak. I have no idea how many times I cycled those valves in the 35k miles or so I had on that unit

Offline Freddy

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 06:57:29 PM »
That 'fixed' it. I gather?

I got hold of 2 used CCS-100 kits and fitted one to a bike I'd recently bought.  It wouldn't work tho all the tests showed OK.  I then Googled it and found a reference to 3 small O rings in the guts of the unit turning to jelly due to ethanol vapour which manages to get in there over time.  When I opened it up, 1 was jelly, the other 2 ok.  1 new O ring fixed it.

In doing the testing I went to far as to swap the servo units, to no avail.  The O rings in the second unit were ok, it tested ok but still no workie.  I put it down to a faulty circuit board.  One day l will swap the circuit boards over to observe the result.