Author Topic: New and used tire question.  (Read 2581 times)

wcgreen

New and used tire question.
« on: February 11, 2016, 03:49:52 PM »
Love this board and love my new-to-me 2012 C14!  Added a few things, about to change the oil, and looking to add a copperdawg screen soon.  Got a tire question.  It currently has a set of Michelin Power Pilot 2's on it.   The front is down to the bars, the rear has lots of tread.. probably another 5 or 6K the way I ride.  Couple of questions... I really like the Pirelli Angel GT's and want to move to that tire.  I can put one on the front and keep the P2 since it has lots of tread... Or, I can replace both, but that rear is a very good tire.  Does anyone ever purchase used tires anywhere?  I hate to just toss that tire when it's got so much life, but the place I have to use around here is Cycle Gear in Bham, and the Pilot 2 is actually more than the Angel GT, so it doesnt make sense to put another P2 on there till the rear goes.  Anyway, love to put two on here and sell that rear P2, but if that's not an option, then I suppose I will have to put the Angel GT on the front, and keep the P2 rear for rest of the year... and not sure how that will ride.  Thoughts?
Billy
www.wcgreen.net

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Re: New and used tire question.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 04:05:56 PM »
Love this board and love my new-to-me 2012 C14!  Added a few things, about to change the oil, and looking to add a copperdawg screen soon.  Got a tire question.  It currently has a set of Michelin Power Pilot 2's on it.   The front is down to the bars, the rear has lots of tread.. probably another 5 or 6K the way I ride.  Couple of questions... I really like the Pirelli Angel GT's and want to move to that tire.  I can put one on the front and keep the P2 since it has lots of tread... Or, I can replace both, but that rear is a very good tire.  Does anyone ever purchase used tires anywhere?  I hate to just toss that tire when it's got so much life, but the place I have to use around here is Cycle Gear in Bham, and the Pilot 2 is actually more than the Angel GT, so it doesnt make sense to put another P2 on there till the rear goes.  Anyway, love to put two on here and sell that rear P2, but if that's not an option, then I suppose I will have to put the Angel GT on the front, and keep the P2 rear for rest of the year... and not sure how that will ride.  Thoughts?
Billy
www.wcgreen.net

Power Pilot? Or, Power Road?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

wcgreen

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 04:09:30 PM »
Power Pilot? Or, Power Road?

You are correct... Pilot Road 2.  Front is starting to cup and down to the bars, and the rear is great.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 04:13:32 PM »
Put on the new front and wear out the rear.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 04:51:37 PM »
Put on the new front and wear out the rear.

+1

This is a perfectly acceptable solution.  From my understanding, the front and rear do not really work together in any way, so having different brands should be perfectly safe.  On a car, however, you should never mix brands or types (or extreme wear differences) on the same axle.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »
I always change them in pairs for one simple reason: rubber degrades with age and heating cycles. And yes, it can be dangerous to have more grip on one tire than the other, especially if you like to ride the curves with any kind of aggression. If you want to skimp on that, at least check the age of the tire with the 4-digit DOT code. If older than 3 years, I'd definitely change it, regardless how it looks physically. Tires next to an ozone source, like an electric motor, or under the elements, degrade quicker, so I'd lower that figure to 2 years. But it's your hide man ;).

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 02:16:55 PM »
Put a new front on it and roll with it.  I ran Angel GTs, they are very nice but PR2's are just as good for me and are way cheaper.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F