Author Topic: Lost FOB, KIPASS replacement cost?  (Read 15286 times)

Offline Freddy

Re: Lost FOB, KIPASS replacement cost?
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2023, 05:24:55 PM »
Chile, I'm considering the CARMO route. I'm still unclear about how to remove the module they need from the ignition switch region.

Can anyone make sense of these directions? https://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/2008-2012-kawasaki-concours-zg1400-gtr1400-lost-fobs-keys

Thank you

I have not done it on a bike but if you check the pix in the item below you see the lock assembly.  The 2 rivets they mention are actually shear bolts - the head of the bolts shear off when torqued to make it difficult to remove them - for security reasons.  They hold the lock to the underside of the triple tree.  They need the whole lock assembly.

Those bolts can sometimes be loosened with a good centre punch and hammer.  If not, drill the remaining head off in dead centre.

That link in your earlier post is an interesting find for folks in USA.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384151007565
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 08:06:51 PM by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline jdaugh

« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2023, 01:45:32 PM »
a HUGE shout-out to lather. He suggested I talk to Chris at Short Tronics in MN. I told Chris that my 2010 bike's fob got run over, but the circuit board looked fine to the naked eye. He suggested moving the main chip to the circuit board of a new fob, or a used one known to be working. Lather happened to have an old 2008 fob he wasn't using!!!

IT WORKED.

The 2008 transponder part number is different from my 2010, but the mitsubishi number at the bottom of the circuit board matched, and everything else seemed identical. And it worked.

THANK YOU lather and also everyone who contributed info.

Now I am wondering if I can get the passive chip from that 2008 fob "paired" to my bike so I have a backup. I know ID codes are needed to do this with the active transponder, but what about the passive one?

The passive chip in my 2010 must have popped out and I couldn't find it on the side of the road. So I have no backup currently.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2023, 01:51:36 PM »
Glad it worked for you jdaugh and glad I could help. Chris at Short Tronics is a wizard with keyboards.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2023, 04:36:39 PM »
Now I am wondering if I can get the passive chip from that 2008 fob "paired" to my bike so I have a backup. I know ID codes are needed to do this with the active transponder, but what about the passive one?
Passive is the easy one. You just need someone with a KDS (dealer?). But remember to take the battery out of the fob and test the passive before you head home afterwarrds.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline jdaugh

« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2023, 06:36:32 PM »
Thank you, Michelle!

Anyone know of someone near/between Jax and Daytona with a KDS? Actually in the middle of those but also inland a bit: Welaka.

Maybe the dealer will do this for a reasonable price. I'll check Monday. But it would be great if I could save miles and/or dollars and give the dollars to someone who got a KDS instead.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2023, 07:00:43 PM »
Steve of shouldabeen has a kds. I think he is somewhere around Gainesville or Tallahassee now.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline jdaugh

« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2023, 07:03:22 PM »
I've seen him on youtube! Thank you, lather.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2023, 05:37:21 PM »
Fabulous outcome JD.

Here's the next step.

http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=25583.0#new
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline jdaugh

« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2023, 08:23:29 AM »
Thank you, Freddy! I will look into that.