Author Topic: Azaro dual compound rear - an update.  (Read 11090 times)

Offline Mettler1

Re: Azaro dual compound rear - an update.
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 06:23:12 PM »
Gloom,,, ain't funny!!

Ride safe, Ted
   I thought it was funny! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 05:10:02 PM »
Every month they wait, they lose customers. At some point, they'll say there's not enough demand to continue production and that will be that.  :(
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 05:13:36 PM »
Every month they wait, they lose customers. At some point, they'll say there's not enough demand to continue production and that will be that.  :(
Thats what Im afraid of. 
They said there would be a Storm III too, and the rear would be in our size, but no word on that either....maybe they are giving up on us too. 
Say what?

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 06:56:09 PM »
Somewhere there's a financial analyst multiplying units sold X contribution margin for fully depreciated R&D costs on the Azaro. Then, he (or she) is doing the same with the incremental margin of UNdepreciated R&D and unknown warranty claim rates for dual compound Azaro II's and coming up way short of the Azaro margin when the decreasing # of 16" wheeled ST machines is factored in.

I think it  (start/stop batch mfg) also explains the sometimes random quality issues that seem to come up. You'll eventually see the Azaro molds sold to the Chinese.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 08:50:31 AM »
Maybe Avon realized that you can adapt a 17" wheel on the rear and that influenced their decision. I'm lovin my Storm Ultra dual compound that I currently have mounted to a 17" wheel. I have about 6500 mi and it looks like close to 4mm in the center. Mark

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 09:43:48 AM »
Avon is waiting for Paul to actually wear out that Azaro test tire.;D Then they can make a decision on the production of the Dual Compound tire.

I fitted my bike with the 17 inch wheel late summer last year along with the Avon Storm Ultra tire. I recently mounted my 4th rear 17 inch Storm and have been very well pleased with the tire. I'm getting about 8,000 miles per rear. No squaring off and the tire does not just go away when it gets toward end life.

Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »

I wish they'd go back to the formula/production set-up they had when the Azaro was first released, way back when. I routinely got 13-14k from the rear 150/80-16. The last 2 Azaro's have only returned 8-9k, not acceptable for the cost, IMO..... In fact the earlier tires seemed to have better "stick" also....
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 12:52:54 PM »
Is there another 17" besides the Mean Streak that will fit? 
I suppose one could also spend a couple hundred having the stock wheel converted as well, just wondering about options I havent seen.
It would certainly allow tire selection to favor your own riding style vs the very limited choices we have now for radials....
Say what?

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 02:53:32 PM »
The 17 inch rear I'm running actually came of of one of the Suzuki Boulevard cruisers, It is the exact same wheel as the Meanstreak. Good luck on getting your stock wheel converted to 17 inch for a couple of hundred. Kosman was getting about $500 for the conversion but I've heard they have raised their prices a good bit.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 03:46:28 PM »
The 17 inch rear I'm running actually came of of one of the Suzuki Boulevard cruisers, It is the exact same wheel as the Meanstreak. Good luck on getting your stock wheel converted to 17 inch for a couple of hundred. Kosman was getting about $500 for the conversion but I've heard they have raised their prices a good bit.

Darn...I hadnt checked in a long time.

Id bet it was the Marauder.  Same bike as the Mean Streak.  Still hard to find....but probably a lot cheaper than Kosman.             
Say what?

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 10:33:33 AM »
Anything new on the DC Azaro? I just went out to look at my rear tire in advance of the National, and it needs to be replaced. I checked my maintenance records and my odometer, I have 8000mi exactly on the tire right now. I like the ride and grip of this tire, but replacing at this interval is getting costly. I'm considering trying another option, perhaps the Venom or even the Shinko 777. I will do a search, I know there are lots of dreaded tire threads to gather info from.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 07:53:59 PM »
Some folks have liked the new Shinko Journey 890. In Wang size, but it is a radial.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2012, 09:11:53 PM »
Some folks have liked the new Shinko Journey 890. In Wang size, but it is a radial.
Steve, did you mean to say:  It is a radial, BUT it is in Wang size.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 05:01:46 PM »
I had several conversations with one of Avon's U.S. Public Relations and he didn't know anything about this tire and said that Avon was comitted to continuing to make the current Azaro for the C10.   :o 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,