Author Topic: rear end ratio  (Read 2417 times)

Offline blade

rear end ratio
« on: June 20, 2012, 05:25:17 PM »
Doing some thinking on a project. Does anyone know what the rear end ratio is on the C10? Not talking the gears, I mean the ratio in the pumpkin on the back wheel.  I can't find a reference to it on the forum or the fiche or my Clymer manual. Figured someone on here may have found it at some point in time.

Thanks

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
Re: rear end ratio
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 06:53:45 PM »
2.71.  Those are gears too. 

Anybody that gives you transmission ratios when you asked for rear end probably is giving you something really random anyway. 

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline blade

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 05:07:02 AM »
Thanks Saxman, that's what I was looking for.

So just so I have it right in my head. If the rear end ration were changed to a 3.08:1 or a 3.45:1 then the motor would rev higher at highway speed and top speed would be reduced.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 06:43:13 AM »
So just so I have it right in my head. If the rear end ration were changed to a 3.08:1 or a 3.45:1 then the motor would rev higher at highway speed and top speed would be reduced.

Yes.... The higher the overal number the more engine RPM required to maintain the same speed when compared to a lower number.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline blade

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 06:46:23 AM »
Thanks Tony, that's what I thought, but just needed confirmation, sometimes my brain goes off on a tangent that has nothing to do with the way things really are.  :D

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 02:29:45 PM »
also note that there is a ratio applied at the bevel gear output at the other end of the drive shaft....and that also has a big effect on the engine speed vs rolling speed  ;) ;) ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 07:48:53 PM »
also note that there is a ratio applied at the bevel gear output at the other end of the drive shaft....and that also has a big effect on the engine speed vs rolling speed  ;) ;) ;)

I have a SUPER DUPER 7th gear mod so I'm not sure what my gear ratio is. ???
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline blade

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 09:38:19 PM »

Almost forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder MOB

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 05:24:04 PM »
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html