Author Topic: Trail 125  (Read 3109 times)

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
Trail 125
« on: January 31, 2021, 10:55:22 AM »
just picked up a 21 model for errands and neighborhood runs.  weather isnt cooperating for riding anything this weekend so far. 

as a slight history, i bought a grom new in 13, hot rodded ti to death, literally, and then installed a 250 2-stroke motor in it, which is absolutely a riot and fun to ride. However, I kind of missed a small (quiet and civil) run around, was going to buy a stock 2nd gen grom for this... until honda announced the trail going into production.  Told dealer, and when the 1st oen they got came in thursday, was earmarked for me.  Got down there saturday, and rode it home the 2 miles.

Its fun. Yes its slow. its quiet as a mouse fart. But its really well built and a lot of running around i do is within 3-5 miles of the house so this should be useful.

Not for everybody but Its pretty good. even has ABS (on the front).

factory snorkle and neat detail on sidecover decal

super basic instrumentation but fuel gauge is nice. No tach, but its stock and stayiong stock so who cares. semi auto 4-speed.  Plug to left will house a power port just in case.

and a comparison size wise of my 67 kawasaki C2TR.   the honda is physically much larger overall.

i did already order a collapsible milk crate for the ridiculous rack on the CT IF they ever make a stainless (preferable)or chome pipe cover for it i'll def get one, that was the one disappointment. (the prototype ones were polished)
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Trail 125
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 01:50:05 AM »
That rack makes me think that it is squarely aimed at food delivery riders.
Looks practical and should be reliable.  :thumbs: ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 11:48:25 AM »
oh, i'm sure in parts of the world im sure thats def the case.

I did find the chrome covers, stock on 20 models but pricey. I'll get one sooner than later. weather here will be crap all week, hopefully can sneak out and dodge raindrops one night.  I did get a power port and ram mount installed. got all the 'federally mandated' decals removed, and waxed and detailed it as i do with all new bikes to protect it.  :D

come on summer.  8)

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 02:47:33 PM »

Any bets on how long it stays stock?    ;)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 06:08:04 PM »
What’s old is new again.
 Look up Honda CT90.
Looks like a fun little bike.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 08:25:43 PM »
oh yeah. thats totally the point. the ct 90 is closer in physical size to my kawi in the pic.  I also have a '14 cb1100, honda did a few really nice retros over the years. unfortunately i missed the GB500. 

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 04:20:55 AM »
I had to look up the GB500 as I'd never heard of it.
Turns out it was never sold here in Great Britain.  :rotflmao:

We had the XBR500 from 85 to 89 but it never sold that well.
I guess it reminded too many people of the Brit singles of the 50s and 60s and nobody (back then) wanted to deal with oil leaks and bikes that shook themselves apart. Now they are probably sought after by the Cafe Racer revival crowd.
It was a capable backroad stormer and very popular as a winter bike with motorcycle couriers in London in the 90s.

The popular "practical" bikes in the 80s in the UK were the Kawi GT550 and GT750 (both shaft-drive), the Honda NTV600 "Revere", the Yamaha XJ650 and XJ900 (both shaft drive), and of course the GS550E and GS850. Because they were all so popular with the couriers they have all been thrashed to death, so good condition ones are now $$$$ and quite rare, even though loads of them were sold when new.

When I bought my 1st GTR1000 I was actually looking for a Kawi GT750 that I could add a fairing and side bags to.
Luckily a friend bought a GTR and let me take a test ride.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline sport rider

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 09:56:22 AM »
that rack should hold several cases of beer!   :-X

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 01:27:20 PM »
used this over the weekend to go to the Union county dragway for the annual 'steel in motion' nostalgia drags.

This is one of the primary uses i got this for, hauled us around the grounds quite nicely. Took it there on the back of my 66 galaxie as well. (just finished motor/ac install last month).
Bike made the swap meet a breeze and Angie rode side-saddle quite nicely on it.

few pics from the day.

And i almost pulled the trigger on the 62 falcon wagon but.. too many projects already.