Author Topic: What tire pressures are you running?  (Read 18689 times)

Offline MJinCP

What tire pressures are you running?
« on: February 26, 2014, 04:18:10 PM »
Did a search, and every post had to do with the sensors.  Just wondering what tire pressures are working for people here.  Manual says 42 F/R.  Mine were set at 48 F/R when I picked it up new last week, and ride seems a bit harsh.

Thanks!
Mike

2013 Kawasaki Concours 14
2012 Kawasaki KLR 650

Offline MrPepsi

Re: What tire pressures are you running?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 04:27:12 PM »
42 is pretty much the consensus around here for normal riding.
I keep mine between 43 and 40. Filling at 40, up to 43.
Good for a month or more.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 04:33:34 PM »
Did a search, and every post had to do with the sensors.  Just wondering what tire pressures are working for people here.  Manual says 42 F/R.  Mine were set at 48 F/R when I picked it up new last week, and ride seems a bit harsh

Duplicate thread.

42psi is the right number to use on both front and rear for best performance and tire life.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 04:42:01 PM »
Max, there's quite a few duplicate threads...  It's ok.

Pressure between 42 and 42.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 04:50:15 PM »
48 from the dealer?  What is the max pressure on the sidewall?  Did you check the pressure on a cold bike during the morning?  How accurate is your gauge?  If the error is at the dealer, I would let them know to see how they react to it.  That would give you an idea how trustworthy they would be if you decide to let them work on the bike.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 04:54:42 PM »
42 maybe 43 if slabbing...will drop down to 38-39 if hitting a heavy twisty road like the Tail of the Dragon

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 05:00:22 PM »
the answer to life the universe and everything

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 06:04:30 PM »

OMG I use that joke all the time, and never even thought of that connection.

I work in IT, just like half of us on any forum and people come in and say, I have a question.
First thing out of my mouth?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 06:12:17 PM »
 8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 06:17:13 PM »
42x2

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 06:20:55 PM »
Did a search, and every post had to do with the sensors.  Just wondering what tire pressures are working for people here.  Manual says 42 F/R.  Mine were set at 48 F/R when I picked it up new last week, and ride seems a bit harsh.

Thanks!

41.99999 at 1.02 Atmospheres.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 07:50:53 PM »

:thumbs: :goodpost:

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 03:08:34 AM »
Never less than 42, and sometimes more.

42 in the front, and sometimes as high as 45 in the rear if the bike is full loaded with my 'backpack' (wife) on there. But, otherwise 42/42.

I haven't checked the TPMS's on my 2010 C14, but the ones in my 2008 were off by as much as 2psi (high).

I've run lower pressures before, but I find the C14 just destroys tires if they're 40-39psi or lower.....then again, I might have been pushing them a little as well;).
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline capt chaos

Re: What tyre pressures are you running?
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 03:59:26 AM »
Around 2.9 Bar tyre pressure  :)
2010 GTR1400 Magnesium

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 05:11:49 AM »
48 from the dealer?  What is the max pressure on the sidewall?  Did you check the pressure on a cold bike during the morning?  How accurate is your gauge?  If the error is at the dealer, I would let them know to see how they react to it.  That would give you an idea how trustworthy they would be if you decide to let them work on the bike.

That's nothing. When I picked up my bike and got her home, I checked the tire pressures before I took her out again. 36 front 80 rear! I called the dealer and said WTF? He said that their tire machine must have malfunctioned and thanks for bringing it to their attention. I could bring the bike back and they'll adjust it. Um, thanks but I did it myself. I don't think that it was the tire machine that had the malfunction...

42 front and rear for me.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline phoneman

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 05:47:16 AM »
  DAC--dumb a$$ customer

PICNIC--problem in chair not in computer

Online lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 06:03:31 AM »
I run 39 in front 42 rear. Just to be different. ;D
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline PH14

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 09:51:08 AM »
I often see people saying they run more than 42 psi in their tires. Be careful with that, most of the tires available for the Concours are rated for a max of 42 psi. Unless you are carrying two 400 pound passengers and 150 pounds of gear you don't need to use more than 42 psi. If you need more than that, you need different tires and probably a truck.

Take for example a tire that many would consider a low end tire, the Shinko 001 Verge, it calls for a max of 42 psi with a max load of 520 lbs front, and 805 lbs rear. The curb weight of the Concours is approx 679 lbs. Extrapolate from there.

I got those figures by emailing Shinko to ask when someone posted a while ago saying they use more than 42 psi on those tires. To use more than 42 psi puts you at risk. You have a smaller contact patch and the tire won't flex enough to remain in contact with the road, not to mention the tire simply isn't designed for higher pressures.  Why try to out-think the engineers who designed the tire and the motorcycle?

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 10:17:28 AM »
Not to add any confusion to the topic but I run 42 rear, 42 front.... so my display says.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Online lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 01:59:44 PM »
I often see people saying they run more than 42 psi in their tires. Be careful with that, most of the tires available for the Concours are rated for a max of 42 psi. Unless you are carrying two 400 pound passengers and 150 pounds of gear you don't need to use more than 42 psi. If you need more than that, you need different tires and probably a truck.

Take for example a tire that many would consider a low end tire, the Shinko 001 Verge, it calls for a max of 42 psi with a max load of 520 lbs front, and 805 lbs rear. The curb weight of the Concours is approx 679 lbs. Extrapolate from there.

I got those figures by emailing Shinko to ask when someone posted a while ago saying they use more than 42 psi on those tires. To use more than 42 psi puts you at risk. You have a smaller contact patch and the tire won't flex enough to remain in contact with the road, not to mention the tire simply isn't designed for higher pressures. Why try to out-think the engineers who designed the tire and the motorcycle?
I agree with this. I think even 42 psi is too much in the front. I have done many track  days (not on a Concours) and always ask the fast guys about pressure for track bikes. Always they recommend about 5 psi LESS THAN manufacturers recommendation for street. Of course this is a case where traction is the primary concern and mileage generally is of no concern. I run 39psi up front in the Shinko Verge 011on my Concours and I have not had any other tire perform as well (and I feel it performs better than the PR2 I tried) and I get about 9000 miles out of the Shinko.  For every one of the approx 20 other bikes I have owned the spec was at  4-6 psi less for front than the rear. I have not heard or read of any reason why the C14 should be different and I suspect the only reason for the 42 psi front spec is because the crappy front oem tire would wear out in 2000 miles at anything lower.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.