Author Topic: Saddlebag Storage (Wall Mount)  (Read 8193 times)

Offline reh8388

Saddlebag Storage (Wall Mount)
« on: August 16, 2014, 05:43:09 PM »
Hey guys,

I had to leave the bags off the bike for a few days since I would be parking in some very tight spaces. I hated seeing my bags just sitting on the floor and so that got me thinking that I should be able to make a bracket to hang them on the wall. After about 10 minutes of thinking about how to make some that would securely hold the bags I remembered I had an extra saddlebag bracket sitting on my shelf. Here is what I came up with. (Ignore the long bolt... I just used things I had in the garage and haven't cut that bolt to length yet)

I plan to order the other bracket eventually so I can hang both bags. I got the first one for $12 on ebay but it looks like $30-45 is the normal price for them.

Since it is the same as the bike, the bag locks onto the wall and requires the key to get it off. It is really sturdy and nice that they aren't on the ground.

Oh and the second 2x2 is mounted about 4" below the one with the bracket and this supports the saddlebag, otherwise it would want to swing back all the way to the wall.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2011 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Saddlebag Storage (Wall Mount)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 05:47:13 PM »
Not a bad idea if you can get the brackets at a reasonable price. I give it  :thumbs: :thumbs: .
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 05:56:51 PM »
Looks good!

Not for me, though, since not only do I almost never take the panniers off the bike, I would have no room in the garage for such a mount, anyway :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »
Great idea! I usually managed to bump/kick mine since they almost always sat on the floor or in a closet.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 08:28:15 PM »
Great Idea. I hang mine on shelf brackets I have mounted on the wall of my 20 foot V-Nose. I'm on the road working so it goes where I go :)
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 10:25:49 PM »
I have zero wall space so I put hooks in the ceiling and hang them high. My stock seat is there too. And my bicycle....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 05:20:55 AM »
My stock muffler is on hooks in the garage.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline reh8388

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 06:17:59 AM »
I have zero wall space so I put hooks in the ceiling and hang them high. My stock seat is there too. And my bicycle....

I hear you. That piece of wood seen above the saddlebag is actually my dartboard backstop. Hanging directly below a cork dart board is not my idea of an ideal location but it was all I had. The bags won't be hanging there when people are throwing darts though.
2011 Kawasaki Concours

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 08:19:22 AM »
I used some extra wood I had laying around and built a shelf above where I put the bike. I can put the saddle bags, helmets, boots, tank bag and tail bag on the shelf when not in use and it's high enough to where I can still walk under it without hitting my head on it.

I do like your idea though.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline reh8388

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 05:19:54 AM »
I finally bought a second bracket and got it mounted. I have taken a few big trips since and this makes packing and unpacking the bags super easy. The bags are at a better height, I can move stuff between the bags without having to walk around the bike and then when they are done I simply take them off the wall and put them on the bike.

2011 Kawasaki Concours

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 07:06:42 AM »
The bags come off?  Wow!   ;D

How do you carry your tire repair kit, rain gear, 10 essentials, spare gloves for when it warms up in the afternoon, lunch, computer, etc.?
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 09:20:50 AM »
I use a couple of hooks to store all my bags which include the C10,KLR650 and C14 bags.
That wall mount idea is a good one. I like it ;D
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 09:33:11 AM »
I do as well.  I just don't have any free space on the walls.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 03:22:19 PM »
I'd love to mount a bracket on my FJR. Those Yamaha bags are so inadequate.
Joel from Maine.

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 11:29:43 AM »
never had mine off, too much crap in them ..they are like giant pocketbooks...minus the feminine hygiene products. 

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 11:56:37 AM »
never had mine off, too much crap in them ..they are like giant pocketbooks...minus the feminine hygiene products.
Those feminine hygiene products could come in handy to soak up fluid leaks......

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 12:04:21 PM »
Those feminine hygiene products could come in handy to soak up fluid leaks......

That Depends.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 07:49:25 AM »
Sure, Depends would work too.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 03:56:16 PM »
I use a couple of hooks to store all my bags which include the C10,KLR650 and C14 bags.
That wall mount idea is a good one. I like it ;D

This is what I have too, but as soon as I saw how he can have his bags open for loading, I said hmmmm.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"