Author Topic: Gadgets for the MC rider  (Read 1251 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Gadgets for the MC rider
« on: July 03, 2022, 09:41:27 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrE7F5NiKAY

Feel free to add more gadgets that you like and work for you.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Gadgets for the MC rider
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 12:04:43 PM »
I like the airbag jacket. I think they are very expensive.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 07:47:42 PM »
Jim, your mention of gadgets reminded me of M G Valerio. RIP

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 04:02:36 AM »
Nothing there that floats my boat, but then I ride for the experience and have no desire to have people/GPS talking to me or music playing when I am riding. Riding is me time and whilst I can see the attraction for many, it's not for me.

I keep my phone mostly in my pocket but can fit it to the bars if I have a need.
Mostly I just pull over somewhere, pull up Maps on the phone, figure out a route to where I want to go, and memorise it.
Yes, I get lost sometimes, but that's all part of the fun and ya get to see places and roads your GPS will never take you through.

All the additional lights in the world (whether mounted to you or the bike) will not help when those you want to see you are looking at their phone.
You are far better off just being 100% paranoid at all times. Trust no other road users and treat them all as if they all actively want to kill you.
When I stop at lights I am constantly scanning behind me and if a car approaches I flash my brake lights, but I am also ready to get the **** out of there at a moments notice. Yes, I have trunk level brake lights but those are mostly because the C10 & C14 tail lights are at best weak.

I can see the attraction of the HUD to a minor degree but I don't have any real need for it.

The airbag suits are an excellent idea except that they tend to force you into a position that makes your arms MORE vulnerable to damage.
The neck support is excellent, as is the protection for your torso but they are extremely pricey, and most cost a lot to recharge after they get triggered.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline greenie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 04:55:15 AM »
Heated vest and grips. Why did I suffer for 20 plus years shivering?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 05:58:01 AM »
Nothing there that floats my boat, but then I ride for the experience and have no desire to have people/GPS talking to me or music playing when I am riding. Riding is me time and whilst I can see the attraction for many, it's not for me.

I am one of those.  I often ride with a friend and communication is a must, hence the Sena's.  Riding together or alone, I always listen to music.  Not sure why, but for me, music + riding = super great.  I don't find music distracting at all.  But my friend does, and he never listens to music.

All the additional lights in the world (whether mounted to you or the bike) will not help when those you want to see you are looking at their phone.
You are far better off just being 100% paranoid at all times. Trust no other road users and treat them all as if they all actively want to kill you.
When I stop at lights I am constantly scanning behind me and if a car approaches I flash my brake lights, but I am also ready to get the **** out of there at a moments notice. Yes, I have trunk level brake lights but those are mostly because the C10 & C14 tail lights are at best weak.

You sound just like me.  I always ride like everyone is trying to kill me, and, honestly, it does take a lot out of me.  I still believe in more lights, it is helpful to be seen when people are looking.  But I never assume anyone sees me.

I can see the attraction of the HUD to a minor degree but I don't have any real need for it.

It would be nice.  But the problems with all that stuff are compatibility, complexity, and reliability.  Every time I want to add some gadget, there are always all kinds of issues.  And it starts getting really annoying.

The airbag suits are an excellent idea except that they tend to force you into a position that makes your arms MORE vulnerable to damage.

I like the idea too, but I also wonder how HOT the things are.  The bladders that inflate are certainly not  perforated.  Half the year, I would be dying from heat exhaustion.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 08:58:02 AM »
Jim, your mention of gadgets reminded me of M G Valerio. RIP

:'(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2022, 09:35:34 AM »
+1 on heated grips and vest.

I mounted a Garmin motorcycle GPS for reference only, it's a nice gadget but I still keep paper maps in the bags

I mounted an external glycerin filled thermometer on the C-10, a small round unit that glued to the dashboard
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2022, 09:59:33 AM »
I would be unable to ride 1/4 to 1/3 of the year if not for my heated vest.  One of the best purchases ever.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 04:47:50 AM »
If there is anything an all weather rider should spend money on, is heated riding gear.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 05:06:46 PM »
If there is anything an all weather rider should spend money on, is heated riding gear.

Well, I will avoid riding in rain at all costs.  Also will not ride if there is any chance at all of ice.  But cold riding is important, and covers a good amount of the year!  I have thought about getting more heated gear, but the vest plus grips plus seat seems to be enough to keep me OK down to low 40's with some brief exposure to the high 30's (F).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 04:03:13 AM »
My Indian has heated grips and a heated seat so I don't need as much heated gear as I used to ride with the C14.  Heated gear can be expensive, but it's worth every penny.  We're still using our Gerbings (original owners) and they are close to nearly 15 years old now.  I've had to repair one broken wire.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 05:19:15 AM »
We're still using our Gerbings (original owners) and they are close to nearly 15 years old now.  I've had to repair one broken wire.

My Widder vest is 20 years old now, and works perfectly.  Was expensive but worth every penny.  My only problem has been when I gained weight and could no longer zip it.  They are designed to fit snugly, mine is a size 38.  Thankfully I finally came to my senses and started eating around 1,100 kcal/day and have lost 31 pounds over the last 3.5 months.  And if I am smart, when the diet is over, I will not start over-eating again.