Author Topic: Is anyone interested in using Turnbuckles on their Trailers?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline connie_rider

To get this out of the way, I'll start with;
I prefer to Trailer my bike to the events and enjoy the ride after I arrive.
Yes, I know I'm a sinner, but it works for me.

OK; With that out of the way, here is my main topic:
Is anyone interested in using Turnbuckles on their Trailers?

Several years ago, I got tired of fighting with Tie Down Straps on my C-14 and developed a Turnbuckle system for my bikes and trailers.
The Turnbuckles are easier to use and "far" more secure than straps.
Additionally, the bikes suspension isn't compressed, and the bike is more secure from theft.

At this year's National, I saw more trailers than ever, and multiple people came by to tell me that "they plan to start trailering to events in the future".
My assumption is; We're all getting older, smarter, the distances aren't getting any shorter or easier on us, some of you are beginning to see the benefit of Trailering and now understand that I was ahead of my time. <sly grin>

To use turnbuckles, "NO" modifications are needed on your C-14, but there "is" some work involved to *mount the Turnbuckles on a trailer, and there is a *cost to buy the *components.

** The Turnbuckles need to have mount points (or anchors) added to the trailer
** I think I can keep the cost down to approx. $250 for everything (*except the Turnbuckle mount/anchor).
** Each bike requires 4 spools (To attach the turnbuckles), 2 shafts (that pass thru the axle), 1 spring pin (to replace the rear cotter pin), and 4 Turnbuckles.
** (Each trailer is different, "so" the turnbuckle mount points/anchors have to be figured out by the buyer.
,,,,,,,, I can/will assist with information.

Currently, I'm looking into; improving the components that I used on my earlier designs and having them built.
I'm not into this to make a lot of $$. I'm just hoping to share " better way to secure your bikes on a trailer" with other's.

So, (before I go on) my question is.
Are any of you interested in me pursuing this effort?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
Re: Is anyone interested in using Turnbuckles on their Trailers?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 09:05:25 AM »
I'm highly interested...I did read the threads on COG when this came up awhile ago so wondering how this would work for my application. And I finally get it as far as not riding to an event.  :) Weather and age has me thinking I can just truck/trailer the bike now instead of riding.

I don't have a trailer (yet?) but I do have a truck I recently bought which I want to keep the costs down. I've been researching ramps and wheel chocks which I'm assuming I would need anyway. So I'm open to suggestions and how this turnbuckle system can work in my use case.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 09:12:20 AM »
I'd be interested as well.  Moving this to Open.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 09:25:27 AM »
Guys. I'm an honest man. Guess I'm dreaming.
I went to T-Rex and looked. www.t-rex-racing.com
I can't build my parts for less.
So, if you want something that's more professional it's a good option.

T-Rex Racing sells their complete Turnbuckle System for the C-14. {$285}
2007 - 2017 Kawasaki Concours 14 Strapless Tie down Front Rear Spool Combo
Their system will allow you to both safely strap and unstrap your bike in a matter of seconds.
https://www.t-rex-racing.com/strapless-tie-downs-combo-p/stdcombo.htm

(For the frugal)
They also sell the front and rear spools you need for $59. You can buy 4 Turnbuckles/mounting/anchor components from a hardware store for about $30 each. (Total approx. $180)
T-Rex Racing 2007 - 2019 Kawasaki Concours 14 Front & Rear Axle Spools
https://www.t-rex-racing.com/Trex-Concours-14-Front-Rear-axle-spools-p/n62-12fsrscombo.htm

Ride safe, Ted

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 11:49:11 AM »
Thanks Ted for the info!

It's great to hear there's an alternative on the turnbuckle system that a good company sells these. But it looks like the combo system is out of stock, so may go down the frugal path and buy the spools and turnbuckles separately.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 01:58:54 PM »
Not a problem.
If you install Turnbuckle Anchors in the floor of your truck, use caution.

My buddy recently did that, but only put the anchors thru the thin skin material on the bed of his truck.
& Ripped the skin loose.

So, if you do this, be sure to reinforce the anchors.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline deepseamdv

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 10:27:02 PM »
Do you have a source/part number for the spring pin? I’ll need to order it online for delivery to an APO address.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, 09C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 01:43:32 PM »
Do you have a source/part number for the spring pin? I’ll need to order it online for delivery to an APO address.

Hello Deepsea; Haven't talked with you in a while.
If you buy the T-Rex parts, they don't use the rear axle for the rear attachment, so you wouldn't need the pin.
If you just want a pin, I can look for a place to get one.

Ride safe, Ted

Update; Not sure if you're understanding what I use.
Found these at Mcmaster Carr, but unsure which one is appropriate.
Shows you an image of what I'm talking about.
https://www.mcmaster.com/pins/hairpin-cotter-pins-6/?fbclid=IwAR0AWtZE7F63-3V-tKMZiATxckO9zaMihBZDqdP9nzRVZuVmhONgyeafUhI
I buy mine at a local hardware store. I suspect that you use similar pins on your equipment.

Does this info help?

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2022, 09:26:44 AM »
The Pitbull system replaced the rear axle cotter pin with a spring clip. Maybe that’s what he’s looking for?
Ron
2014 C-14 Red