Author Topic: I removed the bags: it's a new bike!  (Read 12918 times)

Offline ugocon

I removed the bags: it's a new bike!
« on: June 24, 2012, 07:54:53 AM »
Yes, I wanted to try her naked  ;D
I removed the saddlebags and the topcase: it's hot and sunny now in Rome, so I don't need my rain gear that's in the top case... ;)
As soon as I moved the bike pushing it in the garage, I noticed a great improvement in handling and less risk to drop it.
Perhaps it was just immagination, how can around 20 kg of rigid plastic make such a change?

So I went out for a quick ride...
That was amazing!  :o
I seemed to drive a light scoot, something like a ER 6-F or similar.
The bike is very reactive, the handling is much more "safe" at low speed, I come to a complete stop without esitations due to the weight.

I think I'm going to keep this configuration unless I need the bags for a longer trip.

I'm having a new fun with the Connie!
 :D

(but still can't understand how few kilos less can make such a change...  ??? )

Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline fmwhit

Re: I removed the bags: it's a new bike!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:10:52 AM »
I ride without the bags on the day rides, and I put them on the bike for longer trips.   I have a small gym bag that I carry smaller items that I bungee to the luggage rack.  The good part of this is the bags don't get scuffed up and no fear of losing them on the bumps-lol.

Fred

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
I removed the saddlebags and the topcase: As soon as I moved the bike pushing it in the garage, I noticed a great improvement in handling and less risk to drop it.
Perhaps it was just immagination, how can around 20 kg of rigid plastic make such a change?
(but still can't understand how few kilos less can make such a change...  ??? )

I think it is more about removing your top box, not the side bags.  The side ones are not very heavy, are close to the bike, are probably much more aerodynamic than the top one, and are relatively low on the bike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:55:09 AM »
I also ride without the bags except for long trips. Another advantage (gen 1) mirrors have no visual hindrance.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »
The bag removal does make a huge difference.   Honestly, I prefer to run the top box without bags, whenever I can. Looks be damned.

The box is nto great at high speed, though.

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 09:38:50 PM »
I never put the side bags on unless going on a multi-day trip. Just like I don't own a tank bag.  I just don't want to be mistaken for a "creepy old motorcycle guy", not that there is anything wrong with that.
2008 C-14

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »
Removing the bags does make a difference, bike is more balanced and does feel lighter/more flickable to me.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 11:12:16 PM »
its all in yer heads
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 06:32:46 AM »
Mine are removed only upon entering the hotels, and thats usually only one side
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 08:39:03 AM »
its all in yer heads

Hardly........
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gflint

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »
With bags - 145 mph with not-funny vibration near the top end
Without bags - 155 mph and no not-funny vibration

I run bags only when i absolutely have to.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »
Wait until you remove the 30 lb potato launcher!
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »
Hardly........

::)

With bags - 145 mph with not-funny vibration near the top end
Without bags - 155 mph and no not-funny vibration

I run bags only when i absolutely have to.

Number of times I have ever been 145 mph.....  zero.  Number of times I expect to ever even go over 100.... zero.

Yes, at extremely high speeds, the side bags will noticeably affect aerodynamics and drag... but so will your helmet, body size and position, windshield position, etc.  I really think it is a non-issue at "normal" [legal, legal +10] type speeds.

But yeah, I guess if you are going on the track, take the bags off.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 09:01:29 PM »
I only put the cases on for multi-day trips. I think it makes the bike easier to get on and off (and the boot scuffs that occur if you are not hyper careful make me crazy).

I like the way the bike looks way better without the bags.

I have a Phil's rack set up to take a small expandable tail bag (for solo day trips) or a larger tail trunk that gives me plenty of storage (along with the bags)  for long trips with the SO.

And even though I know I will never drag the bags, when I am hitting the twistys hard and notice the bags in the mirror, it still disturbs my concentration.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 10:01:16 PM »
::)

Number of times I have ever been 145 mph.....  zero.  Number of times I expect to ever even go over 100.... zero.

Yes, at extremely high speeds, the side bags will noticeably affect aerodynamics and drag... but so will your helmet, body size and position, windshield position, etc.  I really think it is a non-issue at "normal" [legal, legal +10] type speeds.

But yeah, I guess if you are going on the track, take the bags off.

Coming from somebody that has a massive potato launcher, and who rides with their bags allot? Go ride a road like the Dragon with bags, then take them off and report back. It does make a difference, plus the bike isn't very wide either.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 06:30:35 AM »
I've ridden the dragon two up and all three bags fully loaded, no issues. 145, three bags, no issues. If I had issues I might try taking the bags off but so far, no issues.

Only issue was the peg feelers scraping and so...I took them off ;D
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 06:51:59 AM »
I've ridden the dragon two up and all three bags fully loaded, no issues. 145, three bags, no issues. If I had issues I might try taking the bags off but so far, no issues.

Me too.  My pegs were dragging the whole way but so were the knee pucks of my gixxer friend i was using as pace bike heh

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 08:17:43 AM »
I always find myself in a position to need to put something in the bags. I use the bike to go to the grocery store, and on beer runs. I often find myself at the hardware store. So basically they're trunks for my bike. So i never take them off.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline ugocon

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 08:26:46 AM »

I find no issues as well with all three bags up and riding on a winding road.
That's the purpose of this kind of bike... :)
But running WITHOUT bags is just.... better!  ;)
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 08:59:38 AM »

Coming from somebody that has a massive potato launcher, and who rides with their bags allot? Go ride a road like the Dragon with bags, then take them off and report back. It does make a difference, plus the bike isn't very wide either.

The bags are 36" edge to edge (I measured them.)  The mirrors are 39" wide.  Removing the bags has zero effect on your ability to get around obstacles, and/or lane split.