Author Topic: Thinking about getting this bike, what ya'll think?  (Read 13786 times)

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
Re: Thinking about getting this bike, what ya'll think?
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 06:23:55 AM »
My non ABS still has the best brakes of any bike I've owned, looks like a good deal.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 06:41:05 AM »
I have an '08 with 12,000 on it. I hadn't considered selling it, but if I could get $8500 for it I'd sell it so fast it'd leave little tornadoes behind it!

I ended up paying 8k for one with 3k miles on it.  Dealer costs are always higher than private sales, but around here the I've only seen 1 Concours for sale in the last year and the person had a very inflated sense of what his bike was worth...   

slickcdb2000, I'm sure ABS is a great option, but I wouldn't say its a deal breaker not having it.  I've never had a bike with ABS and I'm still standing  8)  I've had more issues with poor tire slippage than anything else. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
It has a warranty till 2015!!!  Bike has been up there for about a month or so, not very long.  And if I could find one with abs around here I would go for it.  Just not many options around here where I live!

You haven't snapped this up yet?
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline booger

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »
a little high........but it is a great looking bike AND low mileage.

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 09:08:35 PM »
If you buy an 08 or 09 in your part of the country, you will need to wrap your right leg in an asbestos blanket from June to Labor Day. Those were fine for New York and Chicago, not good for you.
2008 C-14

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 09:11:29 PM »
If you buy an 08 or 09 in your part of the country, you will need to wrap your right leg in an asbestos blanket from June to Labor Day. Those were fine for New York and Chicago, not good for you.

::)

I'm picturing Anthony Hopkins in "The Indian"...  ???

Offline bob14

• go forth and meet the shadowy future without fear
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 05:58:57 AM »
I made my own heat shields ( take 'em off in winter)and use the baker lower wings open in the summer and closed in the winter same with the hand wings
 New Mexico has some summer heat and this setup works well for me
someone else was selling heat shields  on the forum before don't remember who but he should post up ...it is summer

2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Offline slickcdb2000

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 10:36:03 AM »
I was gonna order a set of these.  I think someone on the forum makes them?  I've read that they work extremely well!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Concours-14-GTR-1400-Heat-Shields-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f09e3e508QQitemZ270748869896QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 08:53:53 PM »
I was gonna order a set of these.  I think someone on the forum makes them?  I've read that they work extremely well!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Concours-14-GTR-1400-Heat-Shields-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f09e3e508QQitemZ270748869896QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Zsteve was his name on the other forum.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Viking

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2011, 05:53:25 AM »
Buy it.
There is nothing wrong with a non-ABS bike.
If there were two bikes available, one with and one without ABS, then you could be picky.

BUY IT!  ;D

Then get back here and post a picture of your new ride.
Cheers

Offline Shad0hawK

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2011, 07:46:51 AM »
get it even if it does not have ABS :)

:D

Offline Shad0hawK

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2011, 09:25:49 AM »

Results seem to vary on the heat issue. I live in Texas and have not had my heat deflectors on in 2 years, even in the summer.

Offline slickcdb2000

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2011, 05:00:02 PM »
Still haven't gotten it yet.  I've gotta sell my other toy first, ninja zx6r.  I keep getting the run around from some other guy claiming he is gonna buy it but something keeps coming up.  Everything is done, deal is made on the connie just waiting for the other guy to come through on his end of the deal.  Maybe monday he will come through, hopefully. 

I'm sure the heat may be a hot, but compared to some sport bikes I have owned it's probably minor from what i'm used to, esp the zx6!!!!  It gets HOT!!!!!!  It almost melted my leather boots to my ankles!  Now that's hot! 

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2011, 05:04:56 PM »
I'm sure the heat may be a hot, but compared to some sport bikes I have owned it's probably minor from what i'm used to, esp the zx6!!!!  It gets HOT!!!!!!  It almost melted my leather boots to my ankles!  Now that's hot!

I hear that!  I had an R1 with dual under tail exhaust and the forums were full of complaints, but I never experienced it.  Maybe my butt was just less sensitive to heat - must be all of that spicy food  :o

Hopefully your other sale goes through quick!  Waiting on other people is always a pain and full of broken promises and tire kickers who swear up and down they'll be back in 1 day with the $$.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline incabird

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2011, 07:56:01 PM »
Someone mentioned the "heat issue". I guess I must be one of the fortunate few who have no problems with the heat issue. I have an 09 and do not find the heat to be an problem and I have been stuck in stop and go traffic on the freeway in 80 plus degree weather.
2009 Red ZG14 w/typical farkels
Mentor, OH

Offline slickcdb2000

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »
It's official, june 3rd I will be the proud owner of this connie!!!!!  I cant wait! 

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 05:39:09 PM »
It's official, june 3rd I will be the proud owner of this connie!!!!!  I cant wait!

Congrats Slick!  :thumbs:

Offline Rockstar

• Don't call em bikers until you've seen them ride
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 05:42:01 PM »
 :thumbs: good buy  :thumbs:
GL1800 my 2 up ride ZG1000 my alone time ride
Ninja EX 500 stolen by my son ride
Honda CRF off road ride
Scooter go get the mail ride

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2011, 07:07:08 AM »
Good price, but if you can find an ABS bike you might want to think about that.

+1

8)

Offline Rawman

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011, 04:33:26 PM »
Someone mentioned the "heat issue". I guess I must be one of the fortunate few who have no problems with the heat issue. I have an 09 and do not find the heat to be an problem and I have been stuck in stop and go traffic on the freeway in 80 plus degree weather.

'09 non-ABS in stop-and-go Atlanta traffic at 100+ degree days.  No heat issue from the bike..... now the road heat and other traffic along with helmet law will met your face off with or without engine heat.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L