Author Topic: speed  (Read 24207 times)

Offline Restless

Re: speed
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 04:05:08 PM »
the speedo's on these C14s are pure crap, and squids are the only ones who blast "top speed" runs.

+1 on the "pure crap speedos".  It's probably the most frustrating part of the bike since it makes me constantly look out for the five-O!  I need a good radar detector!   :o

Squids?  This one I had to look up and here's what I found...Urban Dictionary: squid - A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none.

Rules me out, I'm old but I can still go pretty fast on smooth pavement in a straight line.  ;D
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline tomkioti

• Live life like you stole it.
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2011, 07:42:55 PM »
I've had mine to 130 indicated. It felt great at what ever speed that is.

Offline Shad0hawK

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2011, 08:31:48 PM »
The 08's are not speed limited,  I believe it was flying kaw that recorded 163 on his GPS. Maybe he will chime in. My speedo is 3-4 percent off. At 100 indicated the gps reads between 96 and 97.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2011, 08:34:28 PM »
I've had my bike up to around 150ish for very short periods on some very straight stretches of empty road.  I've still got the stock rocks on the wheels and it was perfectly solid, at least in a straight line.  At those speeds though I'm not really paying much attention to what exactly the speedo says, more on very carefully watching the road for things I may not have noticed from further away.
The closest track to me is Summit Point, but I haven't been out there except for some karting once.  Anyone know much about track days out there to find a good place to go nuts on?

Ping NESBA or Team Pro Motion.  I like TPM much better than NESBA.  Also search for track days at VIR, which is not too far from Summit and is an extremely nice facility.  Maybe BeaveRun in PA as well.

I've had my C14 up to 120-130 mph inidicated only very briefly.  Don't want a huge ticket....  Do not like running much above 90mph with with the bigger Cee Bailey screen in place.  And I do notice the bike is more solid with the OEM screen in the lowest position....  I forgot to mention I also have a large top case... believe that also affects aerodynamics a lot.

Barry
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 02:56:34 PM by Barry »
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2011, 08:35:59 PM »
I've had my Concours a little over 2 years and I've never taken it over 70 mph.  ::)

Now that you've mastered it, I think it's time to shift up from first gear.  ;D

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2011, 08:50:09 PM »
Now that you've mastered it, I think it's time to shift up from first gear.  ;D

hahaahaaa thats great! ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2011, 09:18:29 PM »
I've had my Concours a little over 2 years and I've never taken it over 70 mph.  ::)

Is it silver??

:rotflmao:

Offline koval68

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2011, 09:20:59 PM »
I've been there, done it and will do it again ;D
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline dw4402

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »
I think the speedo error is about 6%. When my speedo reads 85 I'm doing 80 to 81 per my Garmin. When I did my top speed runs I had the Garmin to back up the readings. When I did the 164 run the speedo was showing around 170. I don't think the '08's have a speed limiter or if they do then it's pretty high  ;D. I'm trying to post a picture of the Garmin showing the speed but can't seem to do it.

David K. Williams
08 C14

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2011, 09:39:54 PM »
so how does the gas gauge on your GPS work???

is it just set for X miles??

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2011, 09:47:38 PM »
158 according to TomTom, but my speedometer read somewhere around 165-170.  I just got a quick glance since I wasn't really wanting to take my eyes off the road since the school zone was kind of crowded that day.   ;D

disclaimer: please don't speed through school zones, the speed bumps can get their backpacks snagged on the bike causing drag and that definitely has an affect on top speed. 

Of course I'm joking!
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Shad0hawK

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2011, 09:52:39 PM »
I think the speedo error is about 6%. When my speedo reads 85 I'm doing 80 to 81 per my Garmin. When I did my top speed runs I had the Garmin to back up the readings. When I did the 164 run the speedo was showing around 170. I don't think the '08's have a speed limiter or if they do then it's pretty high  ;D. I'm trying to post a picture of the Garmin showing the speed but can't seem to do it.

Seems consistent with the results of myself and other 08 owners. You speedo error percentage may be less than you think. The easy way to tell is to goto an indicated 100 and see what the GPS says.

Offline dw4402

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2011, 10:04:39 PM »
so how does the gas gauge on your GPS work???

You can set the miles per tank on the Zumo 550. I have it set at 180miles per tank and it keeps the Zumo fuel guage pretty close to the C14 guage.  As far as the speedo error, at 100 indicated on the speedo the Garmin reads around 95.

David K. Williams
08 C14

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2011, 10:55:04 PM »
I've had my 2010 up to 135 Indicated. A couple times with the screen all the way up and all the way down. Stock tires and bags on. Felt rock solid both times.

Eventually I'll go faster on it. I've only had it for 7 or 8 hours so far.

This bike will cause me to lose my license I just know it.

Offline Kiwi Graham

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2011, 02:00:55 AM »
ok back to our "I went XXX fast" on a straight road chatter
Like you Steve I race an 07 R1. Current  the National TT Superstock title holder, National Superstock Champion and Club Champion. Am saving to buy HP for next season and take on the Superbike guys (finished 18th overall in the National Superbike Championship  >:()
Speed is dependent on gearing, in my case 322 is the biggest number Ive seen (on data, wasn't actually looking!)
High speeds are best carried out on the track but hey its fun in the sun when you've got good viability and the reactions to match.

Still to get my 14, its ordered but still a few weeks away, counting down the days.......

Offline Conrad

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2011, 05:43:21 AM »
the speedo's on these C14s are pure crap, and squids are the only ones who blast "top speed" runs.

+1 on the "pure crap speedos".  It's probably the most frustrating part of the bike since it makes me constantly look out for the five-O!  I need a good radar detector!    :o

Squids?  This one I had to look up and here's what I found...Urban Dictionary: squid - A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none.

Rules me out, I'm old but I can still go pretty fast on smooth pavement in a straight line.  ;D

I'm not sure who said the above bolded section but the speedos read low, so if you're going an indicated speed of 70 you're actually doing something less than 70.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2011, 05:46:48 AM »
158 according to TomTom, but my speedometer read somewhere around 165-170.  I just got a quick glance since I wasn't really wanting to take my eyes off the road since the school zone was kind of crowded that day.   ;D

disclaimer: please don't speed through school zones, the speed bumps can get their backpacks snagged on the bike causing drag and that definitely has an affect on top speed. 

Of course I'm joking!

:rotflmao:

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2011, 05:47:25 AM »

How'd the bike feel at that speed?

Offline Corpssgt

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2011, 06:19:00 AM »
If you are going to drive that fast, then do yourself and everyone else a favor and do it on a closed course.  I've been riding for 30 years and have witnessed several motorcycle accidents due to the stupid things that some motorcyclists choose to do.  We have enough to deal with when it comes to the cage drivers not paying attention to us; we don't need our own brethren attributing to the problem.

Too many things can go wrong at that speed, and why?  Just to say you did it?  If one thing goes wrong, it is all over for you.  Maybe you will be lucky enough to be pushed around in a wheelchair the rest of your life.  Who knows, but it isn't worth it.  Someone compared it to climbing Mount Everest, but the glory is no where the same.  Climbing Everest requires extreme skill, excellent judgment, preparation and team work.  Pushing the limits of a motorcycle only takes the twist of the wrist.  It isn't honorable, and on a public road it should never be respected.

I'm saying all of this to hopefully save your life.  I had two riding buddies die when I was riding with them.  One was doing over 100mph (rear tire fell apart), the other guy chose the wrong time to make a left turn.  The later died right there in the middle of the road in my arms.  Both of these incidents occurred years ago when I was much younger.  I learned from those incidents, and today I am still riding, while my two good friends are no longer able to.  Every time I pass a motorcyclist on the road, no matter what kind of bike they are driving, I see them as my brethren.  It is always very upsetting to me whenever I hear of a motorcycle accident.

Please always ride safe and defensively, while exercising extreme caution.  If you ride like this, there is a very high probability you will be riding well into your senior years.

God Speed,

Austin

Nice safety gear in your avatar there preacher.  Before you come in here lecturing make sure your above reproach.  No kidding its not safe, everyone knows that before they do it.  Get off your high horse.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2011, 06:49:43 AM »
funny I read this thread just now. Yesterday I had to make a short trip to a little town near Munich and I took the Autobahn. For some reason (I wasn't really in a hurry) I got all wind up with the gas and even kept the box in 4th or 5th, instead of the usual lazy OD. Thing is, I have a GIVI shield, Motax deflectors and Pirelly Angel's (all things that affect aerodynamic and stability) and when the shield was up I noticed a slight weave from 110 mph and up. It didn't increase in frequency or amplitude, but since I did increase the speed (up to 150 sometimes) it did scare me more. So I went down back to 100 or so and lower the screen completely, and tried again. Result: rock solid. I tried a few times with the same result. I have to mention that I was doing this on an empty A9 from Nürnberg coming to Munich, which is a few good miles straight with 4 lanes.
What's your experience guys at those speeds? do you notice any instability? Steering bearing is correctly adjusted, btw.

The very few times I've been over 120 mph, the windshield was about 1/4 of the way up. But I have a CB Ultra Tour shield. The bike still felt rock solid. After reading about windshield mechanism failures, I'm going to put it all the way down whenever I get the need for speed. I think I'll also switch back to stock for summer.

I was with a friend in a Mercedes on the A9 just last fall. He hit 255 kph. Scared the **** out of me. There was quite a bit of traffic and the cars in the right lane were just blurs. Drivers in Germany are much more aware of the speed differentials but in the states I just know someone doing half our speed would have pulled into the left lane without looking.