Author Topic: New owner, couple questions  (Read 13189 times)

Flathead

Re: New owner, couple questions
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2013, 05:22:52 PM »
Sounds like the perfect solution.  Is that documented?  I can't find that in the manual...
Nor can I find it documented but it works perfectly.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2013, 06:08:07 PM »
After enough beers, you should be having the women folk out washing the bikes.

2011 Full Tilt Riders Bikini Bike Wash

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2013, 06:18:58 PM »
yessss

Offline Conrad

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 04:36:47 AM »
Like I said, it is mostly a holdover from older bikes.  Hot engine means ignition area and such are all hot and less likely to "foul" with water.

I never wash my bike when it's hot. Hot metal and cold water don't always play well together.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 04:38:57 AM »
After enough beers, you should be having the women folk out washing the bikes.

That's true G but it wouldn't matter how many beers were involved, my wife would never wash my bike for me.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2013, 05:01:37 AM »
It sounds good but it never worked for me either.  :(

Offline lonekazoo

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2013, 12:54:48 AM »
OK, gotta add one more quick question to the thread, again--can't find anyone with a similar problem:

I'm hearing a squeaking noise from the front wheel, like rubber on metal, definitely timed with wheel rotation.  Doesn't sound like brakes dragging.  I've checked clearances around the tire and don't see any evidence of tire rubbing.  Also, after some rides I'm smelling what seems to be burning rubber as I shut down.  I'd really like to elimnate this.  I've already checked, and there's no bikini stuck in there from the last washing...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2013, 04:22:20 AM »
I think you should examine your front wheel very carefully.  That's my stand.

So are you saying that not only do you wash your bike (shudder), you wear a bikini whilst doing so?  If so, that's grounds for banishment.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2013, 04:28:42 AM »

So are you saying that not only do you wash your bike (shudder), you wear a bikini whilst doing so?  If so, that's grounds for banishment.

Don't be so hasty there Jim! We don't know if Kazoo is a man or a woman, do we?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2013, 04:34:51 AM »
Right again, Conrad.  Here I go making assumptions....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lonekazoo

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2013, 08:25:57 AM »

Nope, no bikini...however, occasionally I'll don the speedo.    Funny, both of those articles of clothing sound like they're motorcycle-related.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »

So are you saying that not only do you wash your bike (shudder), you wear a bikini speedo whilst doing so?  If so, that's grounds for banishment.

Nope, no bikini...however, occasionally I'll don the speedo.    Funny, both of those articles of clothing sound like they're motorcycle-related.

Speedo?   :o   Carry on Jim!     ;)

Offline lonekazoo

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2013, 05:47:18 PM »
I took apart the front end and examined the axle, bearings, seals, etc.  The axle was scored at one bearing, with dark looking grease that looked and smelt burned.  The spacers were missing most of the coating.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the bearings, seals, and spacers.  I didn't have the parts on hand, so I put high-temp grease on the axle and seals and put it all back together until I can order what I need.  Lo and behold, the squeaking is gone.  I also noticed that the axle nut had been tightened WAY too tight.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Offline PH14

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »
I took apart the front end and examined the axle, bearings, seals, etc.  The axle was scored at one bearing, with dark looking grease that looked and smelt burned.  The spacers were missing most of the coating.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the bearings, seals, and spacers.  I didn't have the parts on hand, so I put high-temp grease on the axle and seals and put it all back together until I can order what I need.  Lo and behold, the squeaking is gone.  I also noticed that the axle nut had been tightened WAY too tight.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Good to hear you got it sorted out!

:thumbs: