Author Topic: Accessory Plug  (Read 4543 times)

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
Accessory Plug
« on: December 25, 2012, 09:36:27 AM »
Hi all:

my wife bought me an emergency air compressor for christmas, to carry with me on my trips. I am wondering what the amp rating is for the dash plug/ cigarette lighter. I can't seem to locate the spec in my 08 owners manual.

any ideas?

mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Accessory Plug
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 10:32:07 AM »
10 amps on 8/9. 5 amps 10 up. I think. I dropped a lead from the battery for the tender and compressor.

Offline aspire61

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 10:44:14 AM »
thx gpink. My compressor is rated 14A so I guess it goes back. I saw a couple different slime compressors at walmart - i think its gift exchange time.

mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 11:04:25 AM »
Add a pigtail to the battery. It will be unswitched.

Offline Bryn

• Leicestershire.... in the heart of England
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 02:34:11 PM »
Add a pigtail to the battery. It will be unswitched.

+1

I have an optimate lead fitted to the battery, and a compatible connector on the compressor.  8)

Offline aspire61

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 03:48:19 PM »
Yeah- my problem is i'm the only person in the known universe who doesn't use a battery tender, hence no leads. I just did some research and all these compressors are rated for 15 amps or more. I find it hard to believe they draw that much, maybe if they're pumping 80 or 90 lbs but otherwise.... Maybe i can just put in a larger fuse. Then i can be stranded with a flat tire and a fried fusebox- ha ha

mat

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 03:56:20 PM »
KEEP IT.  Just buy the +/- sae cable used with battery tenders and bolt it to your battery post. Takes all of 5 min and will save you in the middle of the sticks.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VwHgzEyjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Offline Z71

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 08:18:02 PM »
A small folding bicycle hand pump is also an option.  It will take a while to pump up the tire, but it works and does not need electricity.   Some of these pumps are only 6 inches long when folded and weigh maybe 150 grams.   I carry one in my tank bag.   :)

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 04:40:50 AM »
I use one of these mounted on the side panel.
http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-product/socket-kits/SKTKIT

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 07:57:59 AM »
I use one of these mounted on the side panel.
http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-product/socket-kits/SKTKIT

Same here. I use it for my battery tender and heated gear also...

Offline aspire61

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
Just an update- my son did an amp reading with the compressor running, and it's pulling approximately 6 amps at 10 lbs and 9 amps at 90 lbs. Looks like I'll be okay. I notice I also have a spare 15a fuse if I run into trouble.

chrs-mat

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 11:57:46 PM »
Yeah- my problem is i'm the only person in the known universe who doesn't use a battery tender, hence no leads. I just did some research and all these compressors are rated for 15 amps or more. I find it hard to believe they draw that much, maybe if they're pumping 80 or 90 lbs but otherwise.... Maybe i can just put in a larger fuse. Then i can be stranded with a flat tire and a fried fusebox- ha ha

mat

I ride the mountains in summer and FL in the winter, I don't fool with silly battery tender leads either =)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 12:22:09 AM »
I have used the Slime mini compressor many times keeping the tires happy at 42 psi- no problemo with my trusty '09er.

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 06:23:22 PM »
KEEP IT.  Just buy the +/- sae cable used with battery tenders and bolt it to your battery post. Takes all of 5 min and will save you in the middle of the sticks.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VwHgzEyjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Maybe this has been covered before, but when you run any cable out of the battery area like this, or a GPS wire, etc., be sure you run it out of the upper right side of that metal plate that covers the battery. There is a small area where wires can run freely. Anywhere else and the wire gets pinched when you tighten up the plate bolts. Don't ask me how I know this.
2008 C-14